Ferrari F1 Piston ? | FerrariChat

Ferrari F1 Piston ?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348uk, Aug 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #1 348uk, Aug 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been given this Ferrari F1 piston mounted on a leather Schedoni plinth. I was told that it was from the era when Mansell was racing for Ferrari. It was presented to a Ferrari dealer by Ferrari UK a number of years ago.

Does anybody know if the information that I have been given is correct or add anything further that may help identify it?

Has anybody seen one of these before?

Has anybody got an idea to it's value?

I have attached a few pictures to help you.

I look forward to your views.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    100% NOT an F1 piston.

too small, skirts to deep, too many rings, poor crown design, not tapered gudgeon pin and then that USA stamp is a dead givaway!! etc etc..

looks like a 328 USA piston to me. Nice though.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It IS a very nice piece but I also believe there is no USA designated F1 powerplant...........

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Similar items are available from www.ferraristore.com. About 200 Euros for a 360 piston on a leather pad. 580 Euros for a F399 piston with rod on a leather pad.

I would assume this item would be priced closer to the 360 item if it is from a street car....

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That looks like a 348 piston to me...

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  7. JBeutler

JBeutler Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    Camano Island WA
    Full Name:
    Jon Beutler Jr
    I have a piston from a very rare Ferrari that was given to me by my grandfather (the piston not the car;), and it was actually had some damage to it... went into the valves! Anyhow, its really great paper weight, does it maybe have some value to it do you think? It is from one of the few early fifties (I believe 51) Ferrari 375F1- Indy car. It was the Johnny Parsons I believe car. Anyhow... any thougths as to value? Ten bucks maybe? Anyhow I am going to post if anyone knows anything about these cars (Indianapolis).

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    When I was working for Pete Lovely Racing a few years ago, he had a genuine F1 piston on a Schedoni leather base, that had been a trophy for one of the Ferrari Club events. Sorry I don't have a picture.