Ferrari F1 Versus Porsche PDK | FerrariChat

Ferrari F1 Versus Porsche PDK

Discussion in '360/430' started by spourreza, Jan 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Hi Everyone - as my prior post mentions, I am yet another long time Porsche driver (2012 991) making the move to an F-Car. As mentioned, I have already begun the process of looking for a 2007/2008 F-430 Spider (F1). The question is how tough of a transition is it going to be to come from a PDK transmission to an F1 transmission? With the Porsche, I usually drive in automatic and occasionally when I get bored, I drive in manual through the steering wheel. The key question: Making a move into the F1, am I going to need to brush up on my manual skills or is the basic premise between the two transmissions the same? I know with PDK, you obviously don't need to worry about a clutch! Very curious on everyone's input, especially those that have made the move from a Porsche.

I searched the forums and really couldn't find an exact answer. Thanks!

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Well there's no clutch pedal and you can drive it in Auto or change up and down with the paddles - which car am I describing ? Both by the sound of it

3. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    430 F1 is much slower than the PDK....single vs dual....there was a small learning curve for me but once I understood and became familiar with the F1 I appreciated it.

4. babyboo

babyboo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 28, 2012
    Nsuburban Chicago
    Full Name:
    Baby Boo
    Transmission aside, if you are transitioning from a 911 to a 430 you will be disappointed in the performance of the Ferrari.

It is generally accepted that the DCT in the 911 is superior even to the DCT in the 458 not to mention the single clutch in the 430.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It is slower, older technology but I think you'll find it very similar IMHO. I predict getting used to the less low end torque in the 430 compared to the 991 will be the real thing to get used to. Remember, you're going to have to wind it up to get to the power. It's a different driving style than the pcar. I like it because it seems to grow more and more savage and powerful the more you step on it.

Btw test drive it to compare your experience to above..

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No offense intended, but I read stuff like this and weep for the future of sports cars, because you have to believe over 95% of people with automatics drive this way.

That s all.....

NuorderSG, KC360 FL and rmani like this.
  7. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    As the transmissions advance with new technology and better software, driving in automatic will surpass paddle shifting. My track time is actually better in automatic in my 458, given that I am not on the track a lot it allows me to just concentrate on maintaining the driving lines, and throttle control. For most of us that are not really capable to drive the cars to their full intended potential, automatic will likely to be superior.

But the difference between a Porsche and Ferrari is the "soul", which cannot be quantified by the number....You'll know once you drive it!

KC360 FL, Texas Forever and KillaBee like this.
  8. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Will test drive for sure but decision already made. Lifelong dream. Great feedback. But must say I am a bit surprised to hear some of the performance comments. The biggest criticism of a 991 is the low end torque and lack of horsepower versus other sports cars priced within and below the 911 unless you come from a turbo or gt3. On print, looks like the F430 beats out the 991 with all facets. In fact, the drivers I have spoken to who have made the same move say they would never turn back. Never heard anyone say they were disappointed. This is interesting...

After driving and owning a 991, I have come to the conclusion that its lifeless and filled with way too many electronic wizardry. No driver skill involved anymore. I far preferred by 997.2 and 993!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ThreePedalMan

ThreePedalMan Rookie

Oct 30, 2013
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Can't go wrong with a 6 speed manual, I say brush up on your skills! That way there will be no comparison to the Porsche.

10. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

I think most here would agree. However, 3 pedal 430 cars are not that easy to find and then you throw in the OP's color combo and options wishes and it makes it 10 times harder.

11. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    To OP.

I had a 2009 Boxster with PDK and it was a great smooth transmission. IMHO too perfect. But not much fun. Plus it had the shifters on the wheel instead of the proper place on the column like Ferrari and Lamborghini put them. I rarely used the thumb shifters.

The 430 F1 is not as refined but so much more fun. I do not miss the PDK. I very rarely use the F1 in auto mode. The F1 has a real clutch and I try to preserve my as much as possible. I do very little reverse especially when engine is cold and never up inclines. It takes some getting used to it at very slow speeds like in parking lots etc. From what I've read on here I'm very careful to get the car into very few situations where reverse is needed. I would not buy an f1 as a daily driver but love it for a fun car.

12. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    Coming from a few different porsches and one with PDK, the biggest difference is I too mostly drove the 911PDK in auto, but in my SCUD I will mostly only drive it in manual paddle . The auto mode in the F1 is not smooth and seems odd in the fcar, where as in the 911 the auto mode is very nice and does a fantasic job.
    The 911 is very clinical and has perfect performance without much of the thrill that ferrari gives. I have to be in the mood to drive and have an experience, the porsche can be relaxing and good for a light cruise.
    I can't see myself replacing fcar with 911 anymore, I might add a 911 to the stable in though.

13. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Where I live in the east coast, shouldn't be too hard to find the 430 spider I want. All I see is black, silver etc...with the F1 transmission. Will definitely take my time as the market appears flooded with low mileage 07/08s in the color combo I want. I am definitely partial (from an aesthetic standpoint) to a Black, silver or white car with black carbon fiber interior. Ran into a few of them at 3 east coast dealers. Now fun starts

14. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    The F430 is going to feel like way more of an "event" when you drive it. The F1 is technically slower than the PDK, but many believe its rawness is a bit more satisfying. It feels a lot more "mechanical". I think you will find you will enjoy using the paddles a lot more. If you are looking for a special car to drive on a nice day--it is great. You probably won't lose too much in depreciation either--especially compared to a brand new 991. If you want a daily commuter I would stick with the 991.

Where I think the F1 is bad is in automatic mode. Most people I know pretty much don't use it. It is a bit jerky and not so great. The F1 is so mechanical and fun to shift--and typically when you drive an f-car it is a special drive anyway no need to really use it.

Performance wise, for driving on the street, IMHO, both cars have more than sufficient power. The difference between the two is how they make you smile when you are obeying the speed limit (or are only exceeding it by 10MPH or so) which you will likely be doing most the time.

Flyingbrick242 likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you drive mostly in automatic, the F430 F1 will feel much jerkier than the Porsche PDK in automatic. The F1 system is a manual 6 speed gearbox, identical to the three pedal transmission, with an electro-hydraulic shifter. F1 is really optimized for using the paddles, and if you are not going to use it that way, you may be happier with a 458 with DCT if you can afford one.

Incidentally, all the magazine road tests I have read say the Ferrari DCT is superior to the Porsche PDK, so I do not know where the opposite information originated.

16. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    I have a 2013 991 and had an F430. If you intend to do a lot of "auto" driving, you will be disappointed with the F1 in auto mode. However, the paddles are such a joy to use, I don't see why you would want to drive in auto mode. The only time I did so was when I had a starbucks in one hand :)

In terms of overall driving experience/pleasure, there is simply no comparison. I too am a lifelong 911 fan, but the 991 feels like a comfy GT when compared to an F430. 991s (except GT2/GT3s) simply don't feel special to me. The 991 has DD duties and I save the Fcars for weekend pleasure drives.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If I get a 911, its going to be a 997 or a 991 and its going to be for my dd.

18. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Very helpful discussion! Have a range rover as a DD. The f430 will be just for some weekend fun. Even for my 991, I only averaged about 8000 miles per year which for a Porsche is very little driving.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I considered 997 but being near 50 and tall it a bit of a chore in and out now. Wasn't a thought a few years ago when I had my 911...plus kids are cramped

20. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Never use f1 in auto mode. It's a manual box and clutch will burn if you don't drive it like a manual

PDk on 991 is second generation and inferior to 458 in feel and speed of engagement.

430 is superior to a 991s. No question about it. If you need a daily car, then stick to Porsche or get into a Maserati, M, AMG

21. DoctorWill

DoctorWill Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    Playa Vista
    Full Name:
    Will
    The 458's auto mode actually is very drivable. If I have good parking if drive it all the time. You can definitely DD it, given how comfortable and quiet it is in sports mode.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is nonsense about burning up the F1 clutch in Auto. It uses exactly the same algorithms in Auto as it does when you use the paddles. If you drive it the same way with the paddles that the Auto mode operates, wear will be just the same. Old wives' tale.

23. djantlive

djantlive Formula 3

Jun 30, 2005
    Tazandjan, F1 slips the clutch in auto more. I said f1 needs to be driven like a manual to avoid burning clutch. I didn't say auto will burn the clutch. Auto mode wears clutch faster. Shift time is different in auto and manual and sport modes. Faster shift means less slipping but more abrupt.

DoctorWill, I agree auto on 458 makes the car very comfortable. However, maint and attn are also factors that makes 458 less desirable as a daily.

24. Erictpeterson

Erictpeterson Karting

Apr 4, 2013
    I have both a '07 F430 F1 Spider and a '12 991S and they are very different cars. Agree that the Porsche is a pleasant daily driver, but the rawness of the F1 is way more exciting to drive. It has never once occurred to me to drive the Ferrari in automatic mode ... seems sacreligious.

NuorderSG likes this.
  25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My 430 was a three pedal car (in my opinion the only way it should be) but if your looking for a low end torque monster you are buying the wrong car and after the I have a Ferrari thing wears off you will hate it. To really make a 430 fun to drive it needs to be shifted at between 5800 and 6800 rpm. It is no corvette and if it is driven around 4000 rpm you might as well buy a Miata you'd have more fun in it. Cars all have sweet spots as I call they and it is very hard to drive a 430 around (without a third pedal) town and modulate the power band properly. No offence meant but if you are driving in PDK in auto even 50% (and it sound like you do more than that) the F1 430 is not going to fit your needs. My 430 is the ONLY car (out of many) that I ever regretted selling and the only Ferrari I'd want and will probably get another one.

Flyingbrick242 and Texas Forever like this.