Ferrari FJ50 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Ferrari FJ50

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Greg23, Nov 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
    +1000

2. jaa1359

jaa1359 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 1, 2014

Agreed. And, though I'm usually a rosso corsa guy, the black one looks amazing.

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Oh!, the Ferrari is definitely the better looking of the two (the Evora looks a bit too "dumpy"), but the styling cues are definitely there!

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Now that is just crazy-retro cool! :cool:

(But I also think the Pink Panther car is one of the coolest cars ever as well!)

5. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Agreed! No thanks

6. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Not in love....especially the front.

7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    +1

Front looks like a general concept car design, which tends to be overly futuristic.

8. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    the front is awkward, but the side vents are extremely well done...

9. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Methinks Pininfarina will be missed exponentially as time marches forward with in-house design.

10. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    agreed re: PF. most of Ferrari in house work (ie, the Speciale, etc.) looks like Novitec kit add ons vs. high quality design additions....

11. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    the J50 and other one offs are a reminder that the 458 is the purest of reference points - Ferrari's mona lisa...these other examples just do not favorably compare to the clean lines of the 458.

12. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    I agree. IMHO, history will judge that the 458 design being timeless in automotive aesthetics. e.g., the treatment of the air vents without cutting holes everywhere is masterful, so much so that it remains the only mid-engined sports car without a body side vent. There's nothing particularly offensive about side vents, they just need to be an integrated part of the design and not just 'lazy' engineering requirement for more air (for the misguided need of turbo?) The FJ50 is another example of design is what sells exotic cars. The FJ50 design should have been applied to the 488 - signaling a clear aesthetic and mechanical departure from the 458.

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    You both took the words right out of my mouth.

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by the FJ50. First thing I think of when I see the photos is: "Pininfarina is sorely missed". The same when I think of the 488, although between the two the 488 is the best looking car by a countrymile. And the 458 head and shoulders above the two, as only a masterpiece can: the influencer of things to come, a worldwide acclaimed design that sets the trend for a decade.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    I think the FJ50 is not appealing at all.

15. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Not only are 8 out of 10 chat members disagreeing with your view on the styling of the J50 ( which is fine) but you are also stereotyping the Japanese with bad taste with your last comment which is uncalled for and in bad taste.

elmadi likes this.
  16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Completely agree with friend Nuno .... and it all is a matter of (personal) taste ... :D

17. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    The J50 is designed specifically for the Japanese market and it looks accordingly. Market specific design is inevitably controversial as preferences do different among different cultures. Personal dislike does not necessarily mean a bad design. Uniqueness matters more. The J50 certainly is unique among the modern Ferrari designs and is probably the best work coming from Centro Stile so far.

I do like one feature of the removable CF roof panels -- less weight, fewer motorized parts to fail, and cleaner engine bay treatments. The 488 spider should have had it as well. All things manual are endearing on sports exotics...transmission, seats, roof, exhaust valves, etc., as simplicity is a prerequisite of reliability and often times of beauty as well.

elmadi likes this.
  18. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    #168 fredhassen, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

I'm not a track guy so would definitely take the little bit of extra weight in lieu of jumping through hoops to take roof on and off and especially since you would not be able to do it while moving.

I actually paid the $300 so I can move my roof while going at slow speeds with added 1 touch operation for roof and windows.

My windows stay down now when the roof goes down as well.

As a spider guy......this roof would be a deal killer for me.

That's the other side of the coin.

This video shows the mod for a 360/430 but I obviously got the one for the 458 but I could not find the video if they have one.

You can also open/close roof from outside the car with it on or off.

I'm very lazy when it comes to roof operations.

In my opinion.....ALL Spiders should have all these features as stock.....1 touch, open from inside or out, and operate while moving so you don't look like an idiot holding up traffic at a stoplight or unable to start process while parking.
    End of point/counterpoint on removable roofs.

https://youtu.be/oKIIeV3Z_YM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. scarfiotti355

scarfiotti355 Karting

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Lodovico
    Absolutly reason...
    458 is one of the best Ferrari ever made, Pininfarina make one of these last works
    a Masterpiece.

With 458 and F12 as if to sign his ultimate Masterpiece as a great painter
    Sure that its rating will be positiv affect

20. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'm left wondering about Pininfarina - they did some great designs over the years but my question would be going forward do they still have the same DNA? They were bought out and I'd be interested to see what of their original flair has been maintained.

elmadi likes this.
  21. Staj

Staj Karting

May 25, 2016
    Rear looks good. The front looks like any production Japanese car. I don't think Ferrari when I see this. Take the badge off, and it could be from any manufacturer. Beginning to think Ferrari in house design has a lot of work to do.

22. scarfiotti355

scarfiotti355 Karting

Mar 25, 2009
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Lodovico
    For knowledge ideal is:

Order a Ferrari on 488 base, one to one designed by Pininfarina
    impossible?!

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
  24. Staj

Staj Karting

May 25, 2016
    For a purist, first time F owner, your first car has to be a 458 Italia or spider. Those two cars represent the apex of Ferrari design and they are naturally aspirated. One's first F car SHOULD be naturally aspirated.