Ferrari GTEs RIP | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari GTEs RIP

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Kalidengas, Jan 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

Yes Julio, but the guy who wrote that post about the GTE is not really a sincere poster. Those types of statements are just there to get a response. Notice that there is no mention of his name and realize that he calls himself a name that represents how he wants to be thought of. There are a lot of places where people live where there isn't a lot to do and perhaps people to talk to so they do it on the net.

Of course it's usually more funny when he is buzzing around that 0846 P3/P4/P0 discussion. At any rate, it could be worse, he could be a crypto fascist or a missionairy member of a political party you abhor. Best, Yale

2. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Yale,

You are probably right, and I take your point. Thank you for instructing me.

Cheers,

Julio

P.S. Does your name have anything to do with attendance at a certain school?

3. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    I am not a moderator, but i think you have been a bit rude.Lets talk about cars, thats why i have post this thread.

4. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    There is nearly twenty yrs difference in styling between the GTE and the 308.
    Show people the two side by side and most would probably pick the 308 as a Ferrari and not the GTE. But the GTE is more traditional "Ferrari" than the 308 simply because of the 12 cylinder motor. If you are so inclined, all you can make from a 308 is a 288 GTO clone. The GTE can and has been rebodied/modified into all sorts of replicas/fakes because it shares the heart and soul of all early Ferraris. One interesting thing I noticed was there were no GTE's at the Cavallino Classic, why not?, there are certainly many out there in show quality condition, but none were on display.

5. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

Sorry J. didn't mean to offend, I guess that was my idea of humor of which I guess I am as guilty as Horsefly in that it isn't as funny to everyone.

By the way, are you Portuguese or of another nationality living in Portugal?

Regards, Yale

6. Kalidengas

Kalidengas Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Full Name:
    J.Santiago
    100% PORTUGAL genuine product!!!

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As a 308 owner I appreciate the picture you're painting.

A few comments:
    - "Magnum P.I." featured the 308. "Miami Vice" had a Daytona (replica) and a TR.
    - Mass produced is a relative term, they were still manually assembled and I believe there are more 360 than 308.
    - Design was Pininfarina, not FIAT. Thankfully FIAT gave it its rust protection, something earlier Ferraris lack.
    - If 8 cylinders is the issue. Well then there are a lot of Ferraris that don't deserve their badge.
    - 308s were used in Rallying. Michelotto built some special version.
    - Racing future was the 288GTO, but the FIA cut that short due to the horrendous accidents in Group B.
    - If you happen to have the phone number of that loose lady. That might be interesting... :)

PS: There is actually some irony in the bickering of GTE vs 308: The GTE's ultimate racing incarnation was the GTO and of course the 288 paid tribute to that in its own name and design. So in essence you could even argue there is a bridge between these two cars.

8. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    tifosi12, please no offence intended. I was just reacting to a previous post. I had never thought of your PS, irony indeed!

10. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Horesfly rules!

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hehe. Well this thread is nothing compared to the 1,200+ posts in that other thread he single handedly keeps alive by continually pouring gasoline into the bonfire.
    :)

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    I also own a 328, while Julios post may seem harsh their is unfortunately some truth to it, the 308 series was a great car though and I still have fun with my 328 but once you drive a V12 you get quite a different perspective of what Ferrari is about which my carbed BB did for me. Only recently has the GTE been recognized and appreciated for its engine and heritage, they were an unloved Ferrari for many years due to being soft and heavy plus the 2+2 stigma and I can see why some would buy one in the past to turn it into something beautiful such as a GTO replica but I don't think that is happening today.

Lets also not forget the F40 and 288GTOs are basically turboed 308s as well.

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Andreas,

I like to think that my occasional squirt of lighter fluid on the 0846 thread helps as well. Actually, in between all of the entertainment new facts do occasionally materialize.

J.P.,

Unfortunatly, the rebodys are still occuring.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I had a second response to Julio this morning but it isn't there now. Was it removed?

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You're right, you do help keeping the BBQ going. So does Jim and that's a good thing. I love that thread!

If we'd all agree on everything all the time, there would be no need for FChat. We'd all be hugging each other and sing Kumbaya.

PS: I disagree with so many posts in this thread here, that I have so far managed to stay away from it, but Julio broke the camel's back. I pick my battles. :)

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Thanks for your support. I don't really throw gas on the flames, more correctly I throw Heinz mustard on the Grey Poupon.
    But I do some legwork too. I was talking to the owner of a "barn GTE" a few months ago. Actually more of a "garage GTE". It hasn't moved in about 15 years. Brake trouble and covered with dust and junk. I'm no fool. I know that it's worth far more than a 308. And if it comes up for grabs, I would definately be interested. The owner says that some day we can drag it out and take a look at it. But I still think a 308 looks more like what a race car should look like.

16. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    But then again, a GTE was never meant to look like a racingcar.

17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    And the buyer was never meant to pay for the bodywork either. After all, didn't Enzo himself say,
    "When you buy a Ferrari, you're paying for the engine. The car is free."

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Arlie,

You buy the GTE and I will trade you for a 308.

Regards,

Art S.

19. cinevillage

cinevillage Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    LUCIO
    i have seen this photos,this cars are in italy?

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Tse-tse fly in a Ferrari? Never.

BTW, the 308s and V12 2+2s are very different cars for very different purposes. If you judge them both against the original driving purpose, they're both really good cars.

Don't bash, get one of each...

21. grahamdelooze

grahamdelooze Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    england
    Full Name:
    graham de looze
    If you think making a gte into a gto is sad, some genuine 62' gto's have had there bodies cut off and then been made to look like a genuine 62' gto.

22. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    what?

23. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I wouldn't mind a nice 308 or 328 sharing garage space with the 330.