Ferrari Modulo | FerrariChat

Ferrari Modulo

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by stevenwk, Aug 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
  2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Funny : all the sequences on the move are shown in way down as the car runs free-wheel...

3. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    FWIW (not much) I've never seen it before. Cool. Thanx for posting.

4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    It is my understanding that Napolis has purchased it from Ferrari/Pininfarina and is having it fitted it with the one-off Ferrari marine engine.

LOL!
    ;)

Best,
    Dave

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It would be but that all computer generated. Modulo is a design exercise not a functioning car nor could it become one without a massive amount of work and redesign as the front wheels can't turn without hitting the body.

At one point I offered to buy it and continue it's voyage to a working car but Andrea wanted to let it be.

6. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Don't think so. The car in the video must be real but with the engine not running...

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Look at the drivers hands and the steering wheel. Look at it on the curves. The wheels don't turn.

8. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Sorry, I'm not convinced. The thing is real...

9. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #9 bert308, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    I think it is real, the curves in the road are not that tight. Cool design by the same guy that designed my Lancia Montecarlo and Jim's yellow Dino, the same guy who put this on youtube also posted a vid of the Dino Competizione driving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHGOFPGgDl0&feature=channel (In "Woodstock" style with the different windows :) )

10. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Jim lied to us : his Dino Competizione is not real : All computer generated !!!

11. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    I think the Modulo and the AMC Pacer look somehow similar...

12. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #12 Crawler, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is how it originally appeared at the 1970 Geneva Auto Show. It was later shown at Turin with the revised silver color scheme (which looks better, IMO). This is a bit of a coincidence as I just recently posted this photo on my "1970 Geneva Auto Show" thread.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Details, details...

14. bert308

bert308 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    Good observation, from 0:40 to 0:55 the car first goes downhill and then uphill but slowing down and at 0:55 it just comes to a stop...no (not working) engine. And yes the hands of the driver look CGI.

15. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #15 stevenwk, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    Napolis is correct. The car is a non running prototype.

I am not sure how the video was created, but if you look at pictures of the engine bay of the Modulo, the transparent velocity stacks are sealed from the cam covers.

This car followed in the footsteps of the P5 and P6 as another pure design exercise, albeit non running. (However, I am not sure about the yellow 512s)

Interestingly, however, Automobile Quarterly Volume 9, #4 from the Summer of 1971 states, and I quote, "The sight of this car in motion is an eerie experience - - it appears to float over the road like some Bradburyesque visitor from an alien world come to show us how much we still have to learn."

I cannot explain how this is so when the car was a pure design exercise.

Napolis, can you shed some more light on this??

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'll ask PF how the video was made but the car definitely does not run and the front wheels don't turn right to left enough to steer.

Also note that the tires in Dinodans photo are Firestone and the ones in the video aren't.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Enough said.

I've loved the Modulo since I first saw a picture of it when it was nearly new. But it's not really a car.

The headlights in the video are curious, though.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    after watching the video, i think there are several lopped segments.... the car seems to glide, yes, but not really drive.

the video looks old. the slight curves look so slight that the wheels may work.

does anyone know when this was made? based on the way it was filmed, i would guess mid 80's or older. notice how subtle the turns that it makes are and how slow it is going? i would have expected enya music to play instead of what play s on the video.....

19. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Cool video, I've always loved this car.

You'd think that the front wheels could be fitted with 'body' pieces on the outside using the same method current F1 cars affix non-rotating brake ducts, matched to the rest of the body to appear as one piece when driving (or parking) straight ahead. Front suspension travel would necessarily need to be very small, but still doable.

20. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've got to believe that, at the very least, there must have been some type of braking system that exists to stop the car; I doubt that PF would just let the car "free wheel" down a steep grade with no way of stopping. Or do you think that that footage is computer generated as well?

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #21 Napolis, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
    The car has no operable brakes at all.

It's interesting to ponder if you could buy it should one leave it as it is or finish it up as a working car?

Dino Competizione was a working car so bringing her out of a 40 year sleep didn't require what it would take to get this one going.

22. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Jim, why you don't ask directly to Pininfarina and have definitively the proof that the car is real ??

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I have and will report.

24. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    OK. Thanks.

25. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Is there anything remotely mechanical in it?

If it was built on a 512 racing chassis, putting it 'om the road' would be a very interesting proposition.
    That said, I cannot see how giving the car a way to negate even the slightest bend could be done without some serious modification to the skin, which in turn would spoil the design.

I think it'd best be left as is.