Ferrari Mondial Rear Thermic Window NEW | FerrariChat

Ferrari Mondial Rear Thermic Window NEW

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Jan 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The units without heating element are ready, some are already sold and on their way to the new customer.

I am writing a user manual for the installation and would certainly appreciate feedback on my draft version. So, if you have some time, please check whether it makes sense and I didn't forget some steps:

1. Lubricate the edge of the frame with simple grease or vaseline, so the rubber gasket (#42) will easily slide over the metal edge of the frame. Make sure all dirt and rust has been removed prior to this procedure.

2. To distribute the pressure on the glass (#41) you have to tape the glass surface as you see here on the picture. Tape from the far left to the far right side of the glass, do that on both front and back sides of the glass.

3. There is only one way to push the glass into its position: from the interior outwards, meaning that one person should hold the glass, seated on the rear seats and the second person stands on the left or right hand side of the car next to the engine compartment.

4. It is best practice to put the gasket around the window glass before installing and NOT installing the gasket on the metal edge of the frame first.

5. Person in the car: take the window glass with the fitted gasket in your hands and gently push both LH and RH parts of the window into the corners as far as possible, only applying soft pressure on the glass.

6. Person standing outside: pull the bottom strip of the gasket gently over the bottom edge of the frame from the far left to the far right so that the bottom part of the gasket is already in place.

7. Person in the car: push the far LH and RH sides of the glass as further into the corners of the frame. Do not put too much pressure on the glass: take your time and do it RH and LH sides in turn. At this time, the glass will not fully reach the corners yet, so don’t use too much pressure!

[​IMG]
    Person standing outside: pull the upper side of the rubber gasket gently over the edge of the frame, starting from the far RH and LH corners. Best practice is to pull the rubber over the edge with your fingers and very slowly continuing upwards. Optionally, you could use a small plastic spatula to pull the rubber over the metal edge.

This step may require 15 minutes to perform, make sure the rubber fits over the metal edge for 100% over the entire length.

9. Now that the window with gasket is successfully pushed in its place, both LH and RH side metal place holders (#54) can be shoved in the gasket (#42).

10. Gently push the plugs of the metal place holders (#54) in their place (3 plugs on each side) in the bodywork and make sure they are fixed.

11. If the new glass holds a heating element (Wolfram), then connect the heating element female plugs on RH and LH side of the glass to the cables (male plugs).

12. Remove the tape from the window.

2. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Very NICE! Well done.

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Very neat! Alays appreciate it when someone takes a leap to reproduce something for our rides! way cool!

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    It took some time, but more and more people start replacing their rear windows. I even wrote an installation manual and if you're able to visit me in Belgium, I even give a helping hand :)
    After all, the installation is pretty straightforward and takes about 30 minutes to do. I have replaced 2 windows myself so far.

MvT likes this.