Ferrari scariest market competitor? | FerrariChat

Ferrari scariest market competitor?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Igor Ound, Jul 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

1 (preferably) or 2 equally strong choices

1. Aston Martin

2. Bentley

3. Bugatti

4. Corvette

5. Lambo

6. Mclaren

7. Mercedes

8. Porsche

9. Tesla

10. Other (specify)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Who represents the biggest threat to Ferrari healthy profits and image in the near future in your opinion?

j35217 likes this.
  2. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    electric in general
    New roadster, rimacs and the likes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Gucci.

:)

Matt

4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I don't see Kardashian as a choice>?

///Mike likes this.
  5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I don't know that I would call it a threat but a company that gets IT is PORSCHE ... they have learned to do what Ferrari is doing with all its special editions
    and they are slightly less expensive..... but I suspect they with the special editions are making a heck of profit.. I mean there are more people that would love to pay over 300K for a new 911 GT2RS then they will make....they also make about 20 different versions of the 911.. with I think 4 special editions offered right now...they know what Ferrari knows and that is to make 1 less of each special edition then you can sell

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Imagine if one of these companies disappeared from one day to another which one would result in the biggest jump up of Ferrari’s stock for instance?

Personally voted Porsche and Lamborghini. :)

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    none of them would affect the stock as it currently overpriced ... its most direct competitor might be Lamborghini but not sure it would matter if they
    decided to just build tractors as someone else would fill the gap....
    Ferrari is Ferrari no other company

PureMichigan and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Fair enough but if I owned Ferrari stock I would probably sleep even better nights if Porsche or Lambo vanished...

9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    To be fair if Tesla is $60b then Ferrari is cheap at $30b lol. With that said Ferrari is worth 75% of GM and produces not even 10k cars a year so investors are paying a tiny premium I would say, but somehow Ferrari management just launched a buyback program so I dont WTF they're thinking.

I do worry longer term as the younger crowd is going after other cars, most of my friends have Mclarens or Lamborghinis, none wanna play ferraris waiting list game, hell i've been waiting months for my dealer to find me a decent 812 for a the pleasure of $75k over sticker haha.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #11 paulchua, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    LarryH,

I agree with you and disagree with you.

To me, Porsche has already 'beat' Ferrari a long time ago. In every objective measure; (performance/reliability/comfort/fit/finish) Porche has Ferrari beat in IMHO. Usually at a lower price.

I got to see the 2018 GT2RS for the first time last Friday in the flesh and OMG is it amazing. I go to the track at most 2-3 times a year, the only place where a car like the GT2RS would consistently be the "Queen of the Prom." It a place where everyone would drool at it like me. A true track rat's wet dream.

The thing about Porsche though, is even with a chariot of the Gods that the GT2RS is - for the vast majority of the public - it's a 911 that some Fast N Furious uberfan souped up -- most would assume WRONGLY the cartoonish scoops/wings/carbon fiber were cheap add-ons to a standard 911 (where Porsche just celebrated their 1 millionth made last year.) .

Outside the limited body styles such as the 918, Carrera GT and other classics, the best thing about Porsche (their consistency) is also often their own worst enemy (commodification.) I know many will disagree with me, and that's fine - aesthetics is a subjective measure.

Part of my love affair with automobiles is the theater and drama of the motoring. Some people hate the attention, I revel in it. I will not lie, I like my weekend drives to be "an event in of itself." I appreciate the positive attention. It's glorious. I like people pointing, I like the cameras flip out, I like the folks at the gas station asking what I paid for my Ferrari (I paid $27,000) assuming I'm a tech tycoon. I enjoy that at every hotel I've pulled up, not once has my car not made it "in the front."

My friend's venerable 911 Turbo?...not so much. Sure his car and even an air-cooled Porsche of the same epoch will run circles around my car. So speed demons can go ahead and call me a poseur - but before you do please, see the Pyramid of Speed, and make fun of me in person at Laguna Seca next year.

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I’d say Mclaren or Porsche.

Ferrari used to always be able to claim they were the best performing in their price segment. Now Mclaren has handily taken that claim. I think most people still find Ferrari the more emotional and engaging car, but Porsche is starting to encroach on that as well. Many people would prefer a GT3 over a 488 nowadays...even when not considering price difference

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The answer is:

Divorce settlements.

13. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

The fat guy that runs the joint.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    This. :)

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Why have you played ferrari's game? Why not just stop..save the 75k and go buy something else? I hate to say it..but that dealer sees SUCKER in big red letters across your forehead. Sorry..

willrace likes this.
  16. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Rule of thumb. Under no circumstances pay msrp + for anything period. Wait a while and buy it off of some fool at a huge discount.

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not everyone has the sense to think like this.

18. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    If the mid engine Corvette is any good it might cost Ferrari some 488 follow on sales.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No car company, and not just in the near future, but well beyond. Unless Sergio does something really stupid, and I know we all have issues with him but he is not a stupid man, Ferrari has no threat to profits or image (see latest F1 results).

21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #22 SCEye, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    "anything"? cool.
    Gonna tell the seller of the Enzo this. After all the car is 15 year old. At most the car is worth 20% of MSRP.
    Also try the same for F40. the car is even older at 30 year. The most the car is worth is a few thousand bucks. Always wanted one of those.
    :D

JohnTz likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed