Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ferrari is beating Red bull this year.

2. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    This is just utter nonsense from him...again. There are multiple good reasons why Ferrari are still in F1. Lets stop pretending that they are doing everyone a big favour turning up every year. Almost all of their marketing somehow touts F1 and their history in it and they are perhaps the only team to actually turn a direct profit.

The WEC is a joke and an F1 press conference gets more viewers than a Formula-e race. They are going nowhere.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    What does Ferrari not like with the engine rules? Anything is better than the current ****

4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    2008 - The constructor's Championship.
    2007 - The driver's Championship.

crinoid likes this.
  5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Last Drivers Championship: 2007 (Kimi Raikkonen)
    Last Constructor's Championship: 2008

If Ferrari not winning a Championship for 9 &10 years is such an issue for you, you must be a lightweight! - Some of us remember having to wait 16 years for a Ferrari WCC (1983~1999), and 21 years for a WDC (1979~2000)

I wouldn't dismiss this as just being more meaningless Ferrari posturing and an empty threat quite so quickly!

Liberty Media have already made it clear that they want F1 to become a simpler sport, not driven by expensive technology, with simpler power-units and limited budgets, in order to try to make it easier for teams in the mid-field and towards the back of the grid to be able to win races and stand a better chance of winning Championships, as Marchionne says - Very NASCAR-like.

That goes against the DNA of F1, and it goes against the DNA of Ferrari. On that basis, Liberty Media's vision of how F1 should be, does not fit in with Ferrari's vision.

Added to that, Ferrari getting beaten by the likes of Mercedes, Red Bull or (when they were good enough and had bigger budgets) McLaren and Williams was just about bearable to Ferrari because those teams would have been deemed to have earned their victory the hard way, but (should it happen), to lose out to a team with a shoestring budget, who have won mainly because it was made easier for them by the "owners" of F1, wouldn't be either bearable, or acceptable to Ferrari.

Something else to bear in mind is that, back in the old days of limited international media coverage, F1 was a major part of promoting Ferrari and it's cars to the World, so it was highly important for Ferrari to be in F1 for global recognition - Ferrari needed F1 to help it's business flourish.

By the same token, Ferrari was the crown jewel of teams for F1 - Other teams and manufacturers were drawn to the sport to try and beat Ferrari - F1 needed Ferrari.

Ferrari were aware of the power they held over the sport, and on several occasions used the threat of quitting the sport to get their own way.

Today, Ferrari are still a major player in F1, and for teams such as Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren and (until more recent times) Williams, there is far more prestige and honour in beating Ferrari than any other team in the sport. Because of that, Ferrari still hold a power over the sport, albeit to a lesser degree than it once was.

With the internet, and today's easily accessed social media, Ferrari is no longer so heavily reliant on being in F1 for global recognition, and even without F1, Ferrari business would still flourish - Basically, Ferrari no longer "need" to be inF1.

Ferrari leaving F1 after 2020 wouldn't make much difference to Ferrari's future success, but it could have a devastating effect on F1!

The question is, can Liberty Media afford to risk losing Ferrari? - The value of the sport they bought would drop significantly, especially if Mercedes, Red Bull and Renault also decided that it was no longer worth competing in, and Liberty Media could end up losing Millions! (if not go out of business completely!)

Several times in the past there have been good reasons why Ferrari's threat to pull out of the sport could be seen to be a blatant bluff, but this time, with the changes being proposed to the sport by Liberty Media, and the fact that F1 is no longer crucial to Ferrari's business, there's good reason to believe that Ferrari are not bluffing this time.

daytona355 and Robb like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Can Liberty live without Ferrari? Sure. If they get back BMW and bring in Porsche. I think it would be great if Ford was involved again.

It would hurt somewhat but it’s not a death blow.

I think Ferrari takes its fans too much for granted. It’s time they started to earn our loyalty.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Gee I guess I missed the last race. Did Ferrari win?

8. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Serious question - anyone have any insight if they would turn a profit without their guaranteed bonus? Might a shareholder also argue the staggering sum poured into F1 every year could be better spent on product development like stupid SUV’s and minivans thereby generating larger returns?

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    So you're going to look at one race (where Ferrari even took pole) instead of the entire body of work for the year in which Ferrari is way ahead in the standings and conclude that a drinks company is beating Ferrari.

Smart.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

No, I'm looking at the TREND. If Max didn't have mechanical breakdowns and didn't crash as much, Vettel would have finished 3rd. Since the summer break Ferrari has been in decline and RB moving forward, even with a crappy Renault engine.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Only in the cinema as Tesla: The Smartest Guys in the Room part II

Aircon likes this.
  12. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The first clue was when Sweater Boy said that dropping F1 would be good for the P&L and that shareholders would benefit. Of course he's right, especially since the shareholders pay him to increase the value of the company. Anf if he is not making changes that result in that increase he is of no further use.

13. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Not really, Ferrari has been very fast since the summer break. Could have easily won several races if it wasn't for mechanical failures and crashes

14. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    HELL YES!!!

15. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, I would also like to see Ferrari again in Le Mans, and more now that the ACO thinks in a "GT proto " for the top class, something like the GT1 of the ends of 90s.
    A Laferrari "GT proto" would be fantastic.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/10/23/new-2020-lmp1-rulebook-proposals-unpicked.html

https://scontent.fsst1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/22540135_1804589942887723_3362405787619131027_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=4560b462f21d0e20f66ff2dd451f769b&oe=5A8756D2

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Ferrari can afford to leave F1 as their road car division no longer needs racing to be known and sell cars. This is the exact opposite of what Ferrari should be.

17. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Everyone has to run a 2 barrel Holley with a restricter , and don’t forget about the push rods....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tifoso2728 likes this.
  18. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    When I saw this I wish I could say I was surprised...but the market ownership in the brand and the demand for returns may well change the way in which the company is run. Companies that are successful infuse culture and value into their brand, without culture you become a transactional part of the greater global business model, which is to say that culture is what separates organizations.
    Ferrari built a culture on racing and pouring everything they had into being successful in racing (the road cars funded the racing). Sweater's talk about leaving F1 is an ominous sign that the culture of the organization has shifted.
    What's made their brand so valuable is the demand the market has placed on their direct linkage with status and success, without that brand value prop (racing demonstrating their global position and dominance as the company to contend with) I don't know that they'll remain the brand they are. After all, having a very fast & capable road car isn't all that unique, plenty of manufacturers build cars that are equal in performance and less expensive. The mystique of the brand is what brings Ferrari value. You could abandon this and drive volume of sales and make potentially more in the short and medium term, but you'll suck the life blood from the company's value prop and eventually it will be a me too brand.
    How many of us would tolerate the fickleness of the cars if they weren't exclusive & the objects of our dreams and obsession?
    The best possible thing for Ferrari at this point is to remember its roots, its culture & determine how to remain the cornerstone of every child's motoring dreams - that stops and starts with the biggest stage and the brightest lights (F1), until some other challenge is greater that's where the battle for the future will happen.

crinoid and daytona355 like this.
  19. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i am with you for most of it.

Only problem for us racing fans is that Ferrari, without doing good in F1 for the last 9 years, is doing better than ever from a financial perspective.
    Both the shareholders and sweaterman know for quite a while that the historic link between the current buyers and the performance in F1 is gone. And let's be honest, so is a big part of the mystique... Bringing an SUV is mainstream car manufacturing territory, not the role for a "mystique" brand. WTF!

Bottom line: they don't need to be in F1 to promote the brand anymore. ( and save a lot in the short term)

20. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You're not being honest as I believe you are far more intelligent than the statement you made.

Max won in Mexico because both Seb and Lewis were more focused on each other and their mutual WDC struggle. Their collision put both of them out of the running. Max races each race as if he has nothing to lose. So he takes chances that the leaders cannot take with him especially at this point in the season, because those drivers and their teams have stakes in winning beyond any single race. IMO, the only thing Max will not want to risk is losing to Ricci.

Red Bull is not a car maker. They'll be happy as long as their (very unhealthy) beverage label gets sports media attention.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The only part of F1 I think crucial to business of Ferrari is licensing/merchandise? What are latest numbers for that part of business? Majority of Ferrari merchandise is because of F1, so many Tifosi out there that will never afford a Ferrari and could care less about the street cars.

crinoid likes this.
  22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This is interesting. Basically two streams of income from two different silos of supporters. One from race fans who support the Scuderia's racing endevors through purchasing Ferrari/F1 merchandise and the other who are purchasing cars. The person who spans both of these silos in the small overlap between them is Ferrari's CORE clients that all should be focused two with the tifosi second and the Car-dashians third.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Numbers?

According to December 12, 2016 (2016 Annual Report), "Sponsorship, commercial and brand" accounted for 15.7% of revenues which "Includes net revenues earned by our Formula 1 racing team, through sponsorship agreements and our share of the Formula 1 World Championship commercial revenues, and net revenues generated through the Ferrari brand, including merchandising, licensing and royalty income."

OTOH, "Cars and spare parts" accounted for 70.2% and "Engines" accounted for 10.9%.

IMO, the "Ferrari merchandise" you refer to is actually part of the marketing apparatus that is supporting "Cars and spare parts" part of the business. The fact that souvenir merchandise actually earn decent revenue is a bonus which reflects the reach of the brand. Without F1 and the proliferation of inexpensive merchandise that is available to the mass public, the brand and hence, car sales, would suffer. Anyone in marketing will tell you, someone who wears a hat or T-shirt with your company name or product on it helps to establish the brand and its products. When I worked for major IT companies we used to GIVE THEM TO CUSTOMERS FOR FREE. It was only when I worked for Apple that we started selling them to customers. Apple, like Ferrari, are both geniuses at marketing.

BTW, when I take my car out on to pubic roads, it's almost always the regular, ordinary public who give me compliments. It's the truck driver, the parking lot caretaker, kids walking home from school, the guy at the bus stop who say "Wow, what a beautiful car. I love Ferrari!". How does that make any Fcar owner feel about Fcar ownership, when Tifosi admire their cars so much that they actually volunteer compliments to the car owners?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ferrari can easily race sports-cars and maintain their commercial merchandise business. They can maintain it with or without racing. Ferrari represent 'aspirational' idea's. The brand, racing or not is supremely recognizable. The event of leaving F1 potentially will not at all alter Ferrari, its business or its brand in terms of recognition with the public. That act potentially will bring an immense amount of press and attention to the marque. Given the costs saved an increase in stock price might result and further value the company larger.

25. yamashek

yamashek Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    The tone will change when the Scuderia can finally launch a genuine championship challenge in 2018. Not one that only lasts for half a season like 2017.

Hard to imagine F1 can exist without Ferrari.

從我的iPhone使用FerrariChat 發送

daytona355 likes this.