Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Only for a while, the length of which is an unknown. Brands suffer and die when they loose their core. What makes a Ferrari special is that people dream of owning them, that starts with true car people and expands into the masses due to the desire. If the core group leaves the brands equity and desire will fade.

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The cars are 50% electric and on the way to being 100%. F1 is about to become F E. The current F E is jus the R&D for the change over. All this back and forth is just the death rattle of the internal combustion engine. Mercedes and Porsche have left Le Mans to go to F E. The internal combustion engine has only one real home...vintage racing...and for a little while longer, WRC. If Ferrari is smart they will take their current hybrid F1 engine and start moving the technology into their street cars.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    If you look at the state of the electrical generating and supply system in both our countries, I wouldn't be rushing into an electric car anytime soon...... the best way to generate electricity is nuclear, and the greenies won't let us build those and the governments, certainly here, are terrified of upsetting those unshaven armpitted women. Good luck getting anywhere when they have to ration electricity supplies. Crikey, in the UK they are already claiming to be at capacity if there's a popular tv final episode on the telly and people are going to make themselves a cup of tea in the commercial break, let alone everyone has some scalectrix toy on the garage on charge to get to work.

I won't be buying one until there's no option..... that'll be a long time coming yet

As for formula (bor)E, what a load of rubbish that looks, silent slot cars, can't last a whole race on one set of batteries..... yeah...... can't wait till that takes off..... NOT

Ferrari 308 GTB and Bundy like this.
  4. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    on your first point: my thought exactly!!
    on you second point: my thought exactly!!

daytona355 likes this.
  5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Thank god we've found common ground! I was beginning to think it was just me! :)

st@ven likes this.
  6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    beware, only if what you say makes sense. Don't get over excited now:):)

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sergio implies a new formula. Of course we have heard this before.

Here is my suggestion to reducing costs, having more driver involvement, and a better show for the fans.

8, 10 or 12 cylinder NA motors with no Kers
    Manual boxes
    Uses pump gas anyone can buy
    Refueling allowed but no forced pressurization
    No computer driver aids other than ABS
    No launch control
    One button maximum on the steering wheel
    No moving wings
    Ban all wind tunnel testing
    Allow unlimited engines, gearboxes, and track testing
    One computer program for aero evaluation given to all teams.
    Replacement Front wing costs capped.

Sounds pretty awesome don’t you think?

daytona355 likes this.
  8. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Sounds awesome but sounds like bringing back a lot of the the 70ties! :D

9. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    We are on the same hymn sheet there ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    the mayor is old

oeps, forgot the :):):):):)

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

bye cracky you young whipper snapper! :)

But seriously -- what's wrong with it? It will lower costs, get the drivers more involved and more passing.

Is that a bad thing?

daytona355 likes this.
  12. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    I agree with The Mayor's new formula.

However, I would suggest:
    1) no ABS (no driver aids)
    2) all teams get the same amount of time in the same wind tunnel
    3) more than one button on the steering wheel (this will allow Loulou44 to scr*w up big time from time to time)
    4) free choice of tyres

daytona355 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hey that's pretty cool

Formula Mayor. :)

stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  14. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

from a racefan perspective, nothing i guess. Most of your point could be easily adapted, tomorrow.

But you have to considder manufacturers' point of view as well. Athough I think any discussion relating F1 with road relevance is BS, i do think that you cannot stop technology. I truly believe that F1 can be much cheaper, much more attractive and much more innovative if we go back to the situation of the 80 and 90s

My proposal with the aim to increase fan-satisfaction by creating a more equal playing field could be:

Give only a framework. We use to have : engines of 3000cc. It was up to any team to decide weather to used a 4,6,8,10,12 cilinder.
    give them a minimum weight, give them a minimum height. Add some more details on wings, suspension and use of aids and call it a day.

Than, and only than we might see REAL innovative solutions ( which, btw can turn out as HIGHLY road relevant)
    Allow proper testing. ( not this stupid 2x4 days per year crap) but facilitate this through the F1 owners so all teams can join in.
    Work with a system where other teams can "buy" new inventions from the smart runners. Creating a more level playingfield but still reward innovation for the smart team( not nessecarely a topteams). Make selling of these innovation mandatory after a 3/6 months.
    If you give me an hour more, or anybody here, we can come up with more smart ideas i'm sure.

This will still give the manufacturers an incentive to be inovative and creative and commercial exploitation( imagine the rear window stickers on any MB "MB, the inventors of [whaterver they came up with]"

By introducing these kind of creative solutions you not only satisfy the fans (most important) because races will never be predicatble again, but you also reward the manufacturers and keep them interested.

Again, nothing wrong with your set of ideas from a racefan pov but F1 must stay the ultimate series. You simply will not have this with '70/'80 technology. '70/'80 common sense on the other hand might bring us a long way.

15. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    naturally aspirated V-12 ;-)

16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    a thoughtful and realistic analysis of the situation. Add the fact that the Sweater is not a traditionalist wrapped up in Ferrari's mystique except as it bears on the bottom line. Remember too that he is at heart a bean-counter. IMHO Luca diM would never have made such a public statement. If he had the same misgivings he would have worked Liberty behind the scenes and likely marshaled Mercedes and Red Bull to support a common power plant goal. The Sweater's ego has become a burden

daytona355 likes this.
  17. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132919/f1-boss-responds-to-ferrari-quit-threat

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey insists Liberty Media has no wish to turn grand prix racing 'into NASCAR', as he responded to Ferrari's criticism of the 2021 engine proposals.

Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne last week complained about the increased focus on standardisation in the planned rules, claiming his team could pull out of F1 and saying "I don't want to play NASCAR globally".

Carey is adamant that Liberty still wants differentiation between competing engines and cars, but with closer competition.

"Actually I don't think we have a differing view to Ferrari," Carey said.

"I'm not trying to be derogatory to NASCAR, but we don't plan to be NASCAR either.

"We don't want to standardise the cars. We don't want 20 identical cars going round the track, and the only difference is the driver.

"F1 is unique, and it marries up competitive sport to state-of-the-art technology.

"We want the teams to have the ability to do what they do to create cars that are unique to them - unique engines to them, unique bodies to them.

"But we want to make success dependent on how well you spend your resources within some constraints, versus how much you spend.

"I think that's a healthier sport.

"And then those that can develop the technologies, develop the capabilities that are better than others, will enable them to succeed."

s-mario likes this.
  18. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Strange, Ferrari has never used this tactic before...... :rolleyes:

19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think they need to go in the opposite direction. technology is what F-1 has always been about from its inception - even pre war.

open up engine regs - cap HP at 1500, utilize a standard engine ECU/ all teams use FIA computers etc...
    Engines have to be sourced from current road production cars, that have more than 500 certified for road use. no limit on capacity or cylinders or type.
    Auto boxes, movable aero, etc.. are all ok.
    Minimum weight limit of 1200lbs.
    max number of wheels & tires 6
    minimum height 38 inches
    Free bottom to the rear of the wing plate / plane no overhangs allowed.
    driver survival cell mandatory - provided by FIA - with G meter / kill switch
    Track limit detection system incorporated that automatically slows / disables car when 4 wheels leave mandated racing surface.
    cutting edge braking systems encouraged
    telemetry monitoring ok, but driver must manage all on board systems
    refueling and pits stops encouraged but not required - but tank size limited and provided by FIA to encourage stops
    auto morphing surfaces ok, but have to be limited in use, so that the 80% of the cars profile remains substantially the same during on track running.

This would be F-1 you want to watch!

20. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I'm with Sergio to H*ll with Liberty Media. Ferrari have certain leverages in F1 and they should use them to the fullest
    Anyone in SM's position would do exactly the same. New teams are welcome to come and succeed just like Merc did:)

21. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    It's all about technology except they keep banning it all.
    FRIC, F-duct, mass dampeners, blown exhaust, active suspension, 2 way telemetry, traction control, launch control, movable aero, etc, etc.
    No point in building expensive better mouse traps if every time you turn around the powers that be will take it away from you.

And remember how great essentially banning tire changes worked out??

22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think it's time ferrari started talking about setting up a breakaway series, funded by Bernie, racing V8 or V10. They will draw plenty of teams with them, and there are lots of circuits around the world that can run. Maximum 10/12 rounds, a grand final at the end, and development through the season. No artificial cost caps, but costs will be reduced as the tech will be simpler and easier to develop. Circuits can be charged less to stage the races, no brainier. Liberty goes pop within a year on f1 - all because they continue to ignore fans that want to see RACING instead of foregone conclusions

375+ likes this.
  23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
  24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005