Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari, Sergio and the newest Ferrari can quit F1 statements

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If Ferrari pulled out of F1, I think it would be game over for the series?

crinoid, stavura, NEP and 2 others like this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    When an electric vehicle can complete a 200 mile race in under 2 hours without a fuel stop, F1 becomes FE. And not before.

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 27, 2017

Ferrari can choose to quit F1 says Todt

Jean Todt says the FIA cannot be swayed by Ferrari's threats about quitting formula one.

Amid Liberty Media's plans for new engine rules and a budget cap for the future, the Italian team is warning that it may not sign up for 2021 and beyond.

"That's their choice," said FIA president Todt, who led Ferrari through the ultra-successful Michael Schumacher era.

"We do not want any manufacturers to leave the sport.

"Ferrari is an icon and it is unique, and it would be very painful if they were not in formula one anymore. But that's not my responsibility," the Frenchman is quoted by Speed Week.

Todt said the decision to sell F1's commercial rights to Liberty a year ago was "right".

"Chase Carey is a great CEO and I recognise a structured organisation with real professionals like Ross Brawn and Sean Bratches. The sport is in good hands," he added.

4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 28, 2017

Chase Carey wants Ferrari to stay in F1

Chase Carey and Jean Todt, arguably the most powerful men in formula one, have played down Ferrari's quit threat.

Amid Liberty Media's plans for new engine and budget cap rules, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne said the famous marque might not race beyond 2020.

Mercedes' Toto Wolff, who is normally in political lock-step with Marchionne, says that threat must be taken seriously.

"Everything Marchionne says must be taken seriously," he insisted.

"F1 must remain the pinnacle of technology and the best competition, and if you dilute this message with standard specifications and false situations that penalise the best and help the weakest, I think that's not our DNA."

So when asked if he is currently happy with Liberty, Wolff told Corriere della Sera newspaper: "For now the answer is no.

"But let's delay that (judgement) for a year. For now I don't want to vote."

Part of the dispute with Liberty is about F1's commercial income this year, which has significantly dipped.

"As we say in the States, there is no such thing as a free lunch, particularly if you're trying to develop and grow," F1 chief executive Chase Carey told EFE news agency.

As for Ferrari's quit threat, he answered: "The Ferrari brand is an incredibly important and valuable partner and our intention is to keep them here."

According to Tuttosport, FIA president Jean Todt agreed: "I think it would be too painful for Ferrari not to be in formula one."

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    So, Sergio says he can look at an alternative series.......,, here we are, the perfect excuse, let’s go to a new series, get rid of the crap parts of F1 and cost caps, and simply race. NA V8s, testing, couple tyre suppliers, GRID GIRLS more beautiful than ever, and create ourselves proper racing with the right sounds and smells........ till the fuel runs out. In the meantime, watch F1 itself detonate without Ferrari, there won’t be any fans left and the tv won’t give a **** about Mercedes beating whoever is left. Ferrari IS F1, and liberty and the FIA have forgotten that for whatever stupid reason........ if Mercedes left, meh, no one would care...., lose force India, or toro rosso, most people would say ‘who now?’, red bull...... ‘the guys with the drinks yes?’

Ferrari leaves - the world news would announce it as the DEATH OF F1, no question, it’s like taking the horses out the Kentucky Derby and replacing them with cows...... anyone wanna watch a cow race?

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    What Sergio is actually talking about, is creating a rival series to F1, and he appears to be hinting that they would be looking to take Mercedes and Renault (both of whom are not happy with Liberty Media's future plans for F1), with them.

This is Ferrari's strongest hand because, (unlikely as it may be) if Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault were to leave F1, what would F1 be left with?

Power-unit wise, F1 would only have Honda (if they decided to stay), and other power-units manufactured by unknown manufacturers (as Aston Martin seem intent on using and badging up as their own).

Teams wise, Red Bull would probably stay due to their new link up with Aston Martin, as would Toro Rosso (who would probably also use the cheap "Aston Martin" power-units ), and Force India, but would McLaren, Williams and Sauber (with their close association with Ferrari) volunteer to stay in F1 or jump ship?

Circuits available for a new series?: Imola, Silverstone, Magny Cour, Fuji, Estoril, Sepang, Istanbul, Zandvoort, Indianapolis, Laguna Seca, Adelaide, and other circuits such as Monaco, Montreal, Melbourne, Hockenheim/Nurburgring etc., etc., would all have to take into consideration as to which would be the bigger draw for them: Ferrari/Mercedes/Renault, or: Red Bull/Toro Rosso/Force India?

As for a new series going back to N/A V8's - Simply wouldn't happen because it's a massive step backwards!

Ferrari have two issues with Liberty Media's future power-unit plans:

1) The introduction of standardised major parts, such as engine blocks and internal components.
    2) The simplification of the power-units and forced restrictions on any future development.

A big part of Ferrari's argument is that they want to be able to push on with power-unit energy recovery technology, and not limit its development. Going back to a N/A V8 wouldn't achieve anything for Ferrari (and I suspect Mercedes and Renault feel the same).

Liberty Media's plan is to hold back the technology in F1 - Ferrari want to push the technology onwards.

If I were Sergio, I would be openly talking to other teams and circuits about a possible break away series, and formulating a genuine plan as to how it would work, to ensure that, if Liberty Media are determined to stand firm on their plan for the future of F1, then a rival series would be ready to go in 2021.

As it stands, whilst Liberty Media might be a little bit nervous at Sergio's threats, they're most likely not taking the threat too seriously right now because it's just talk, and Ferrari have form for this kind of thing.

Were Ferrari to start formulating rules and regulations, and to start talking to promoters and circuits about setting up a race calender, and contracts to run a new series, Liberty Media would suddenly s:censored:t it pants, because there would be a genuine threat to F1, and the value of their series would halve instantly - Not something Liberty Media's share holders would want to see!

This could end up in a very interesting battle as to just who has the most power in F1: The FIA, Liberty Media, or Ferrari! (My monies on the Scuderia!).

Should Ferrari start a rival series, Ferrarichat would have to have an "F1" section, and a "rival" section, and it would be interesting to see how much interest would remain in the "F1" section.

Ferrari 308 GTB and daytona355 like this.
  7. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    We'll see if Chase Carey is a 'great CEO' - about 75% of the race attendees at each GP are wearing red.

daytona355 likes this.
  8. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The difference between FE and F1 is that FE has jumped right into full electric. F1 will migrate there as electrics gradually replace the need for ICEs as a recharging source.

9. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ummm...this is how the manufacturers got their power, how costs spiraled out of control, and how the teams began dictating the rules. FOTA anyone? It was a power grab...and, it would still be be a power grab. We’re driving in circles at this point.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You wanna reduce costs? Simple
    Get rid of hybrid drives and turbos.

What’s the problem?

daytona355 likes this.
  11. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The problem is that is not what the manufacturers want and now Ferrari is threatening to take their ball and go home unless they get their way. Déjà vu all over again.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The manufacturers want cheaper racing.... that’s no hybrid rubbish and naturally aspirated engines that last forever and are £100k each, not £5million a year

13. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Which manufacturers? I know that Ferrari and Mercedes are resisting change. Renault started the whole path to the current formula, so they are silent. Honda can't say anything because that would be admitting defeat...

Sure, the potential new players need to buy in at a lower cost... but that isn't what we were talking about. Ferrari leaving and starting their own series with players like Mercedes...? How is THAT threat a path to lower costs? Again, the last time this threat had any momentum, the actual end result was three minnow teams being ground to nothing.

vinuneuro likes this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Baloney. It’s sdvertusing. Put on a show and people will watch.

daytona355 likes this.
  15. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ferrari adds talk of breakaway series to its quit threat
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/21813811/ferrari-adds-talk-breakaway-series-quit-threat
    (via Freader1 http://goo.gl/oMf3op) #F1

Just in case you don't want to read it...

Sergio is threatening to quit because he doesn't want F1 to be dumbed down. That is, he is against the cheap engine direction that Liberty seems to want to adopt.

I say again... the manufacturers like the status quo and that is what Ferrari's alt.series represents...a strong-arm tactic to keep on the current track.

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't think it would necessary be a step back to go to V8's. If the V8's were NA then maybe a step back however as Ferrari turbo's their V8's now I think they may like a formula with turbo V8's.

...I wonder if they'd want to call this breakaway series LaFormula...?

375+ likes this.
  17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I wonder if a bunch of this by sweater man is about making sure that the revenue split to Ferrari des not get cut. As a public company he may not want to see that amount take a substantial equalization.

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Chase Jean and Ross know Ferrari cannot afford to quit F1 and are playing them accordingly - IMO

19. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    It would take $1 to $2 billion to fund losses in the first few years of the breakaway who will bear that ?
    100 of thousands of fans aren't gonna just show up at the snap of a finger - IMO

20. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    It's complete fluff...they won't quit and you're correct about the feasibility of starting their own series. They want to stay on the current trajectory.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I could live with a formula with turbo V8s and KERS.

daytona355, jgonzalesm6 and crinoid like this.
  22. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    What would it say about Ferrari if the F1 engine was based on a production car instead of the other way around.

I selfishly want it to remain as-is. I drive a turbo now. I look forward in 7-10 years to drive a turbo that electrically spools for ridiculous, immediate torque. It's quite literally the only way the internal combustion engine will survive.

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yeeeeeaaahhh, So you think Ferrari would just plop a Cali V8 into their F1 car....? Uhhhhhhh ok.......

24. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Uhh...you made the suggestion that F1 engines could mirror the currently available lineup. NOW you make qualifications.