Ferrari Sf71H | FerrariChat

Ferrari Sf71H

Discussion in 'F1' started by Tifosi Ferrari, Apr 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
  2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Ferrari has most powerful engine?

April 18, 2018

Ferrari may now have the most powerful engine in formula one.

For the whole of the 'power unit' era since 2014, Mercedes has clearly led the way and won every world championship.

But Auto Motor und Sport claims that Ferrari has caught up in 2018.

"GPS measurements show that in terms of engine performance, Ferrari has caught up with Mercedes," the report said.

"Mercedes increased mileage from 5,000 to 8,000 kilometres (per engine), but Ferrari found even more power over the winter," Auto Motor und Sport added.

Sebastian Vettel confirmed: "On the straights, we're not losing time to Mercedes."

The German magazine claims Mercedes this year went back to an oil specification that it used in 2016, as the FIA clamped down on a rule about oil consumption.

Boss Toto Wolff said: "The measurements are not precise, so if you're on the limit, you risk sometimes going over it."

Auto Motor und Sport, however, said Ferrari is pushing ahead with a "full risk" strategy regarding the oil consumption rule.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Forza Ferrari baby!!

stavura, 635CSI and NEP like this.
  4. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My guess, with regard to speed trap readings, is that it has far more to do with the difference in setups between a cool damp quali, and a dry and much hotter race day. It appears that Kimi was running much less downforce.

Bas and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'm tifoso, so I hope this is correct! But, I just keep getting this uneasy feeling that Mercedes is sandbagging, or I just ate some stale farina . . . .

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    IMO, Ferrari and Mercedes are about equal in hp, BUT we don't eat tyres like the Mercedes....especially in the softer compounds.....which is why as of late, track contigent of course, Mercedes are doing one stopper's....ending in the mediums.

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Yep, until their friends at Pirelli change the compounds for them

stavura likes this.
  8. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Ferrari will fix smoking engine says Whiting

APRIL 20, 2018

Charlie Whiting says the FIA will not intervene over the issue of Ferrari's smoking engines.

While arguably now with the most powerful engine in F1, Ferrari's 2018 power unit smokes excessively when it is fired up.

"We suffocate in our garage every time they start it," Mercedes' team chairman Niki Lauda told Auto Motor und Sport.

"The FIA should look into it."

However, F1 race director Whiting said that despite the smoking, checks have shown that Ferrari's engine is not consuming more oil than it is permitted to.

As for the smoking, he added: "I'm sure they'll sort that out."

G. Pepper and Finlander like this.
  9. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    They do that on purpose, Niki.

G. Pepper, E60 M5, stavura and 3 others like this.
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    They are still, more or less, sponsored by Phillip Morris.

11. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    [QUOTE="We suffocate in our garage every time they start it," Mercedes' team chairman Niki Lauda told Auto Motor und Sport"[/QUOTE]

Good!

daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Good![/QUOTE]
    So Mercedes should fix their tyre issues, not let Pirelli change anything same deal.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In other words: ''please FIA, tell Ferrari to stop beating us''

As far as I know, there are no rules in a smoking car. It's not defect. The engine confirms to all rules and regulations, therefore nothing FIA can legally do.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Suck on it Niki!

daytona355 likes this.
  15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Charlie Whiting has made his views perfectly clear on the "smoking" issue. Sorry Niki, but only Charlie's view carries any weight.

daytona355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So the goal is to built an engine that wins pole and uses almost no oil....Then you can use the saved oil to sprinkle the road Bond-style during the start to leave the cars behind you without traction :D
    I am sure Mercedes will find a rule somewhere that justifies their complaint ;)

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  17. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Peter, if it truly did sprinkle the track with oil to the point of reducing traction for those following, then it would be an open-and-shut case against Ferrari. So, the fact this hasn't even been brought up doesn't say much about your thesis.

As I said earlier, Charlie Whiting has spoken. Case closed.

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Sorry, that was ment as a joke, that is why I put in the :D smiley.... I know that this is not the case but if the only rule would be the maximum consumption of the oil then my suggestion would be the final step of development ;)

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    OK.

20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #20 Flea7, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    It probably reminds him of when he was on..................oh,,....... never mind.

G. Pepper and Bas like this.
  21. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The Ferrari mechanics seem to carry on breathing ok

daytona355, stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  22. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    2018 can be Ferrari's year says Prost

MAY 7, 2018

2018 could finally be Ferrari's year in F1.

The Italian marque has not won a title since 2007 with Kimi Raikkonen, but for the first time in the new 'hybrid' era Ferrari now appears to have the fastest car.

And former Ferrari driver Alain Prost thinks 2018 could be Ferrari's season.

"I made a mistake last year when I said that every time there is a change of regulation, Ferrari was rarely there," the Renault advisor told Italy's Autosprint.

"In the winter Mercedes and Red Bull seemed to be a little better, but it turned out that they (Ferrari) are there in qualifying and tyre management, and also Raikkonen is there at Vettel's level which will be a great help.

"I think this year Ferrari can win," Prost added.

The quadruple world champion said he thinks the biggest difference for Ferrari this year is the engine.

"I think the engine has progressed more than the chassis," said the F1 legend.

"The six drivers for Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull can be competitive in all circumstances," Prost continued. "It's more difficult for Hamilton, who has usually fought for championships against single drivers only.

"Now he will not be able to manage races in the same way against four or five competitors, but for us it will be exciting."

23. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

yep, we finally have the right package. It's all up to the drivers and the pit wall.

daytona355, NEP, stavura and 2 others like this.
  24. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    And luck. Developement will be very key having all cars launch with all new updates and upgrades at Spain. So let's see if Ferrari can develope it further to be competitive still and made further progress.

daytona355 likes this.
  25. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I am curious whether the story with the Tires between Mercedes and Pirelli will have an impact on the rest of the season...If not all the fear upfront was unsubstantiated but if that might swing back the pendulum to the Silver Arrows and those points missed in the last two races might really hurt at the end.

daytona355 likes this.