Ferrari testarossa ignition ? Or tuning issue ? | FerrariChat

Ferrari testarossa ignition ? Or tuning issue ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by leslie_choo, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Recently I notice that my testarossa 1990 has white smoke ( white smoke will be gone when I drive for 20 mins) and rich in fuel. I thought was the ignition so this is what I have tested -

1) I can see sparks on spark plug both banks

2) when I remove only the connection of the right side black module sits on top of the ignition coil , one bank is down

3) when I remove only the connection of the left side black module connection , both banks are down . This is strange should be only one bank down.

4) I swap the black module form right to left , same issue , when I remove the left side black module connection only it cause both bank down.

Any idea what’s wrong ? And where should I start tracking the issue ? Fuel is very rich and very little missfire , tuning issue ?

Thanks in advance

Leslie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to 2 and 3: what connection you remove? the complete several pin connector? the right bank is also connected to the left bank AFAIK ( not sure 100 % ) so it would be normal that both banks are down then. have a look at the connectors, there should be 1 more wire at the left connector.
    please have a lookalso to the wiring diagram

white smoke normaly is water, when cold then it is condensation, but 20 minutes until it is gone? that makes me thinking. waterlevel is ok?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Hi Joe

Yes I remove the complete connector . Ok will check further

The water ?!!! No wonder I notice my car runs abit warmer ( slight above the 90 normally below 90 ) I will go check the water level now . I hope this is not the gasket leak ? I never drive hard and never overheated .

4. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Joe , the water level is ok . Strange !!

5. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I also have white smoke at cold start up. It lasts about 5 minutes then and goes away. I just had the engine out service and had all hoses and gaskets replaced. Car runs more than fine and I thought it was normal. Also noticed that the smoke starts with right exhaust then both after a minute.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    5 minutes is ok, but not 20 minutes
    also it depends how cold/warm it is outside

ridege55 likes this.
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There is nothing wrong here. The left side (7-12) ignition module controls the tachometric relay which controls the fuel pump relays. When the 1-6 side ignition is disabled = the fuel pumps keep running so the engine keeps running on the 7-12 bank. When the 7-12 side ignition is disabled = both fuel pumps shut off, so the engine dies (even though there is spark on the 1-6 bank.

8. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thank you Steve !! the explanation is very clear. Now I just have to sort out the tuning for running too rich and the white smoke ( I suspect maybe valve seal )

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    valve seal? then it would be blue, not white

10. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    May I know How do I check if the water leaks to engine ? I have double check the water level seems to look ok . Maybe just minor leaking I am not sure . I cannot think of why there are white smoke .. it doesn’t happen in the past ...

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The typical test is to look for combustion gases (HC or CO) appearing at the coolant filler neck. Here's one example:

but, if you do an internet search on "HC in coolant tester" that should give you a lot of information to look at.

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thanks again , I have confirmed that it’s not head gasket so perhaps just too rich in tuning. The fuel smell is so strong, I was thinking of just tune the mixture and test it out . Can anyone share with me where can I tune the mixture ? A simple picture will be much appreciated as I am not technical in these areas ... thanks !

13. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Is this the mixture screw ? Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    I would highly recommend you not touch that mixture screw unless you know exactly what you're doing. If your car was running well and all of a sudden developed this symptom it is highly unlikely fiddling with the mixture screw will solve your problem. Do you not have access to a mechanic? Someone who is knowledgable about Bosch CIS should be able to help you.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thanks for your advice , I think you are right , I better send the car to a mechanic . I am in Singapore and there are probably less than 10 cars with Borsch Fuel distributors left , we have maybe 2-3 mechanics left who knows about this car . the last time I had problem with the fuel distributor the mechanic had to send it to Germany for fixing and calibration . Hope this time round nothing that serious !!

16. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    If you're interested in some light reading, I have a few things I could email to you that might give you a better understanding of the fuel injection system in your car. Just send me your email address, and please update your thread once you have more info regarding your problem.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this what you show here is the screw that you may remove to get to the mixture screw. but to turn the mixture screw only 1/4 of a turn the CO just will jump up or down about 1% minimum. so be very careful ! ! ! and when you don´t have an exhaust gas analyser for CO and HC don´t turn this mixture srew

18. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thank you all ! I have scheduled my car to be checked by mechanic on wed and I will provide an update later .

And thanks again JGMBlair , I have PMed you

Cheers

19. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Hi all

Here is the progress , issues not solved yet due to the mechanic is looking for CO2 monitor tool for tuning .

We found that one of the module (picture Attached) dangling around the alternator area and it’s is not connected and this is probably for the fuel mixture ?. Once he gets the CO2 monitor tool next week Monday . he will do the tuning . I will keep everyone posted .

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I don't think so -- if the wires are one red (R) and one yellow-green (GV) with spade connectors, it seems more the stock connector for the alternator (field power and alt warning light). If your alternator is working, you must have some wiring addition/modification at the alternator. Does your alternator warning light self-test (key "on", engine not running = alt warning light "on") work with this connector unplugged? Has your alternator been replaced?

(The red wire is just an always +12V source from the battery cable so easy enough to add a small jumper wire from the +12V battery post on the alternator itself, but having the yellow-green wire unplugged, but still have the alt warning light self test work would require some cutting and splicing.)

21. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thanks Steve

Yes I have changed the alternator to a 120A version so you are right perhaps thats the stock Alternator connector . I will go check the alternator warning light on Monday to confirm. Cheers

22. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Hi all

Here is the status , I tried but could not attach video clip

1) alternator charging around 12.7V idle for 20 mins with everything on - a/c , lights etc . So this looks fine

2) air fuel ratio tune to 13.6 . We can still see the white smoke and maybe caused by worn piston ring lost of compression. As the left bank doesn’t response well using the test kit connected to the Vacuum line .
    The mechanic will do further test ...

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how have you measured this ratio? photo would be great. I don´t know such a tester for this ratio, it is a theoretical value what you can meassure with the right equipment on a dynometer. that is why I ask how you did this meassurement.

13.6 : 1 means 13.6 kg air to 1 kg fuel seems a little rich to me

you can meassure the exhaust gases and then count to the ratio, but this value is never exactly

24. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    #24 leslie_choo, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    I try to post video to show some white smoke of my car but it seems like I can only attach photo

25. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo