Ferrari Testarossa Single Wheel Nut Removal & Re-Install (DIY) | FerrariChat

Ferrari Testarossa Single Wheel Nut Removal & Re-Install (DIY)

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by truedriverscar, Nov 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. truedriverscar

Aug 21, 2017
    Hello FChatters,

Next up in our how-to/DIY series is a complete list of all the steps we used (and worked for us) to remove and re-install the single wheel & nuts on our 1987 Ferrari Testarossa. Again, there is a better formatted and printable (with more pictures) version on TrueDriversCar.com.

There are many ways you can go about removing and installing the single wheel nut. Our intention with this (and our other posts/guides) is to offer a reference to anyone attempting this for the first time or little experience. Hopefully, others will be able to reference our experiences to gain confidence and think "these guys did it this way, and their car hasn't blown up yet, so it can't be too hard." These are the types of posts/guides that we search for when doing any work on our cars for the first time. Hopefully that makes sense...

We performed this on our car a few months ago, so we have done a decent amount of 'spirited' back road driving :) to test that the wheels do indeed stay on! The brake pad replacement/upgrade also made a substantial performance difference (a post/guide on this coming later).

Overview

For our car, the wheel nuts were really stuck on tight. It took us a number of attempts, specialty tools, and consultations with mechanics who have worked on these cars. There are a number of horror stories of the wheel nut coming loose while driving, resulting in the wheel coming off. Therefore, doing this correctly to insure the driver/passenger's safety and the safety of others was paramount. As always, this was just our experience and what has worked well for us - each situation may be different.

One of the most difficult issues we encountered when removing the wheels, was preventing the wheel from spinning (even with the car on the ground). In the end, one of us applied and held the brake pedal with the car running. Since we were removing the wheels to replace some old, under performing brake pads, the brakes had difficulty preventing the wheels from spinning. A combination of wood for wheel chocks and using an angle less than 45° to the ground ended up working (thank goodness).

Tools Used (with links)
    [1] Yes, this 3/4" drive torque wrench does fit in the front trunk of the Testarossa.
    [2] This style of torque multiplier was the one that worked for us. Torque multipliers (like this torque multiplier) did NOT work.

Procedure Used
    Removal
    1. Before attempting anything, we found the direction in which the nut must be turned to be loosened. Each of the octagonal wheel nuts have an arrow showing the direction to LOOSEN the nut. The direction to loosen is also the same direction as the forward rotation of the wheel [1][2]. For the left side it should be counter-clockwise, and the right side clockwise.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Next, we put painters tape on the wheel nut and duct tape on the inside of the Hill Engineering wheel socket. This worked well to preserve the finish of the nut. We also had a few moving blankets on hand to protect the body work if something slipped.

3. After many trials, the figure to the right was the final setup that worked for us. We placed the Hill Engineering wheel socket on the wheel nut, attached the 1" female to 3/4" male drive adapter and placed a jack stands under it for support and to keep the socket level (see image to the right). We then attached the torque multiplier to the adapter. Put an ~8' long extension pipe over the reference bar coming out of the torque multiplier. Finally, we used the 3/4" drive breaker bar with a ~4' long extension pipe as the input to the torque multiplier.

4. With the car running, one of us applied and held the brake pedal (for the front wheels, this person also held the steering wheel from turning). To remove the nut, we then applied force to the end of the ~4' long extension pipe. It was important to insure that the extension bar created no more than a 45° angle with the ground, such that the force was applied downwards toward the ground to loosen the nut. We also used some scrap wood to help prevent the wheel from spinning.

5. After the wheel nuts had broken loose, we lifted the car off the ground to prevent any unnecessary pressure or damage to the wheel and hub.

Installation
    For the installation, we roughly followed the methods described in the owner's manual for a Porsche 918 Spyder, since the Testarossa's Owner's manual merely says to "tighten as much as possible" and to complete the tightening of the nut to 325 lbs ∙ ft [1][2].

1. We used a QuickJack to lift the car off the ground. The car must be lifted high enough such that the wheels are off the ground.

2. Next, we placed the wheel on the car while insuring that the wheel is flat against the hub. The wheel nut was then hand tightened.

3. With the car still off the ground and running, one of us applied and held the brake pedal (for the front wheels, this person also held the steering wheel from turning).

4. Using the 3/4" drive torque wrench, we tightened the wheel nut in the direction opposite to the forward wheel rotation to the specified torque of 325 lbs ∙ ft.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Next, we loosened the wheel nut 1/4 of a turn.

6. We repeated Steps 4. and 5. at least one more time. The reason Steps 4. and 5. are done repeatedly, is to insure that the wheel is seated flush against the hub. If the wheel is not flush with the hub, the wheel will wobble when driving and possibly come off.

7. We tightened the wheel nut to 325 lbs ∙ ft one last time while the car was still off the ground.

8. After repeating Steps 2. - 7. for each wheel, we then lowered the car to the ground. While on the ground, we checked that all of the wheel nuts were tightened to 325 lbs ∙ ft.

9. Finally, we did a series of short drives, pulling over (when safe) to check that all of the wheel nuts were still tightened to 325 lbs ∙ ft. We did a 1/4 mile drive, a 1 mile drive, and finally a couple of miles with a couple decent accelerations and braking. In between each "drive," we checked that all of the wheel nuts were still tightened to 325 lbs ∙ ft. For the next few uses of the car, we checked the tightness of each of the wheel nuts with the 3/4" drive torque wrench before and after each drive.

spiderscott likes this.
  2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Good write up but if I may add a couple of points.

1. To loosen, you may need to bang on the socket with a hard hammer just to break the corrosion away. It's this corrosion that seems the fuse the bits together IMO.
    2. Why not lightly grease the thread, spline and taper? This was recommended to me by Ferrari. Besides that, it allows for higher clamping load and can prevent corrosion in future. See link
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/brake-caliper-rebuild.492466/page-3#post-144836650

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I had a center-lock Testarossa for years. I always used the factory spanner and lead hammer - and never had any problems. Before lifting the car, place the spanner over the nut, and hit it with the lead hammer. Once the nut is loose, raise the car, remove the nut, and slide the wheel off. Every time you remove a wheel, clean off all of the mounting surfaces, and apply a thin film of copper anti-seize. To reinstall the wheel, with the car still in the air...slide the wheel onto the splined hub. Thread the nut and tighten it up....when the nut makes contact with the wheel, wobble the wheel and tighten the nut at the same time until there is no more movement possible. Then lower the car, and use the spanner and lead hammer to finish tightening things up, hit the spanner with the hammer until no more tightening is evident. Your finished. I would routinely check the wheels for any loosening, but never had any issues at all.

4. truedriverscar

Aug 21, 2017
    Those are good points.

For us, hitting the socket with a hammer didn't do anything... From our records, the wheels probably had not been off for 3-5 years. We tried everything we could find discussed on here, along with suggestions from Ferrari techs, until we reached the method described above. The only suggestion we did NOT try was using a 1" pneumatic impact wrench (like this one) because of the risk of damage to the finish of the nut.

To be honest, we were torn whether or not to apply some type of grease to the threads. We received conflicting advice from Ferrari techs (we called a couple dealerships) along with the "scary" and polarizing threads like this (for example, posts like this). So, when we took off the wheel, we just moved around the grease that was already on the threads. Our reasoning was to error on the side of the wheel being a PITA to remove, than the wheel coming off too easily.

Which grease did you use? We were leaning toward a copper based grease, if we chose to use grease.

5. truedriverscar

Aug 21, 2017
    Our's definitely did not come off that easily! Our biggest problem was that the wheel would spin when we tried to loosen the nut (with the car on the ground). After we bent a 1 1/4" steel pipe trying to loosen the nut, we were ready to sell the whole car LOL

6. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Moly grease but I don't remember the exact brand. I'll post it when I find it.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Make sure the wheel hub and wheel taper are free from dirt or residue. Clean it well, then use anti seize. Tighten with wheel off the ground then re-tighten with wheel on the ground. My weight standing on 3/4" drive 18" breaker bar = 325 ft lbs. The factory spanner and lead hammer works for me on removal.

8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    I have always cleaned and lightly lubricated the threads and splines with high temp grease as suggested below.

9. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Excellent write up. I am trying to remove wheels which are not original and replace with the correct wheels. I would like to shoot the person who put on the wheels. I have a 40 inch long 3/4 inch breaker bar with the hill engineering socket and managed to get the fronts off but not the backs yet. I bought a 30 inch section of pipe at Lowes and even with that they dont want to come off. I know it has been years since they were off. Even a 1/2 inch Thunder Gun did nothing. Maybe a longer pipe might do the trick and yes the wheels will spin on the ground. Wife wont help......too cold in garage. It is my goal ..........before 2018 to get these wheels off!!!!

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    with a 1/2 inch thunder gun you the nut only will smile:)
    you need minimum a 3/4 inch, better 1"
    and remember: to loosen you may turn always to the front of the car
    good luck

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Yes, get someone to hold the brake, and jump on the bar or pipe!

12. truedriverscar

Aug 21, 2017
    - Try an even longer extension pipe from Lowes/Home Depot (make sure it is at least 1.25" diameter, since we completely bent a 3/4" steel pipe).

- We also found out that it was important to insure that the extension/breaker bar created no more than a 45° angle with the ground, such that the force was applied downwards toward the ground to loosen the nut.

- The only way we could get the wheels to stop spinning was to have someone apply and hold the brakes, with the engine running.

- If all else fails, try a torque multiplier like this one - Torque Multiplier (1:3) . A torque multiplier, like this one, does NOT work in this situation.

Good luck!

13. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well I took back the 24 inch pipe, which was 1 1/4 x 24 inches and I had that over a 40 inch 3/4 breaker bar. Yes, wheel was spinning. Wife said she is going to her consignment stores, so she was no help!!! I put a wheel chock on both sides of the wheel, kicked it in as tight as possible.....went to Lowes and bought the 48 inch pipe 1 1/4 x 48 inches and couldnt believe how much pressure I put on it.......and I feel like I got lucky or my holiday weight (Lots of German Beer Joe) did the trick at least on the 3rd wheel. It was the 1st rear I did and now I feel like I am 75% done. I will have to post a picture of the wheels that were on it and see if anyone wants them for a song and a dance. Thanks Again for the Mental help. Here is a question for you.......why would anyone pay $1800 for a space saver spare.................you would never be able to change the tire!!!! Save the weight and buy anything else.!!!! Thanks Mark

truedriverscar likes this.
  14. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Anyone have 1 spline laying around????

15. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Truedriver, love the website and the write ups you did with picks. Really helpful visually!!! Thanks Mark

16. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Here's a trick James (veedub) showed me which worked instantly. While applying torque, bang the socket (not the wheel nut) with a nice big hammer. It will shock whatever is holding it together

17. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Will try on the last wheel tomorrow morning. Looking forward to the original wheels being on the car.
    Thanks Mark

18. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well I didnt get it off yet. The wife is going to have to help and hold the brake. I cant get the wheel chocks tight enough to stop the wheel from spinning. Irrating as I wanted it off in 2017....oh well 2018 it is.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    2019 is coming :)

you may try as ozziindaus has written. this will work for 100%, and if not you have too less torque.

20. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Trust me the mileage will stay low until I get this last wheel off. I will enlist the wifes help probably or one of my friends, whose taste in beer runs very cheap!!! I will put the Klaus Meine and the Scorpions on loud while I try it or more appropriately...................Sammy Hagar.......... who we know can't drive 55!!!!! Video was a BB512i I think????

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you better get concentrated to loose this nut than enjoying good music :)
    when I have technical/mechanical problems I need absolute silent, and when I solved thoes problems then I enjoy by listening to good music.
    so I wish you good luck and success

22. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You know I agree. No beer till after work is done! Thanks for the insights and help.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so you had your beer already? :)

24. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Romano, It has been awhile, as I shifted my attention to another car I have and after finishing that up and after looking at 3 wheels on the car and the 4th being the wrong wheel......I said wife is going to help. Most people are off today in America....it is Presidents day. I started the car and let it warm up a bit, wife came out and after pushing in the clutch a few times she found the brake. I used the 40 inch long 3/4 inch breaker bar with a 48 inch pipe 1 1/4 inch in diameter over the breaker bar. I put pretty much as much force as I could on it and .......felt something give???? Fortunately, we broke the nut loose. Ich bin sehr glücklich (very happy). Romano, now I can listen to my music......today marks the unfortunate death of Bon Scott AC/DC's original singer, who I saw at one of his last concerts in 1980. I did clean the threads with Brake kleen and then I did put some antiseize on the threads to help in the future. Now I can move on to other issues and maintenance. Thanks Mark Seifert

25. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Took it out today with new...correct wheels and tires. Took it easy in the neighborhood and rechecked the wheels and seemed tight. Took it out further and felt good rechecked wheels and felt good to me. Pretty happy about it all. It was a very warm day here about 75° degrees Fahrenheit .