Ferrari vs Corvette | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Corvette

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Competition is always good. The New Vette is really awesome, huge kudos to GM.

2. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    of2worlds likes this.
  3. John A. Muller

John A. Muller Karting

Apr 16, 2022
    Chesapeake Beach, MD
    Full Name:
    John A. Muller
    Nice composition...the green pipes set off that yellow beauty.

4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    and the Stingray is only the base model. Many variants to come and all will be faster. :D

LARRYH and paulchua like this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Corvette has always been a faster car in every catagory against Ferrari's higher production cars like the 308..348..355..360..430..etc..only with the 458 have they become competitive which I think actually beat the c7 in a couple categories..bang for the buck..they will always be the best performance value for the dollar..

ralfabco, paulchua, k wright and 3 others like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sorry. Get a F360 with a tubi. Nothing like it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I will raise you the 355..

HotShoe, V4NG0, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Michael1

Michael1 Karting

Jun 27, 2005
    Newbury Park, CA
    It's always funny to read comments on car forums where the people on one forum put down the cars owned by people on another forum.

I owned a C4 Corvette when it was not cool to own a Corvette. It was considered a blue collar car.

When I bought my C5 Corvette, it was not cool to own that because it was considered a "wine and cheese crowd" car.

When I bought my C8 Corvette, it was not cool because it was an old person's car.

You really have to be your own person, and tune all this garbage out. This goes for any car. Get the car you want and ignore everyone else. If I listened to everyone else I would not own any fun cars. The C8 puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Ferraris will do that, too. So will muscle cars and underpowered British sports cars. Don't let others tell you or shame you into what to buy or you will miss out on life.

9. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    LARRYH, mestlick, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Funny, I like the C4's. Different strokes.......

k wright, TheMayor, V4NG0 and 4 others like this.
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have noticed an uptick in interest for them. Also the F body Camaro..especially the IROC convertibles..both have parts availability issues..

JP365 and jm2 like this.
  12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Staggered overlap on generations but overall I would disagree.

Generally Ferrari was similar if not better in tests (closer if higher end ZR1/Z06 corvettes) at a much higher specific output/rpm, better gearing, and more race oriented design/components all around.

Of course "bang for the buck"/ "performance value" will go to less expensive cars but I don't think anyone buying a Ferrari didn't already know that.

13. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I had a 94 ZR1. In its day it was the bomb.

LARRYH and JP365 like this.
  14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Great car! When I got my LT4, I was trying to find a 94 or 95 ZR1, but then my car popped up at Bill Kay Corvettes (15 miles from my house) and the rest is history. There are times I think I should have held out for a ZR1, but the LT4 has been a blast. 330 hp is enough to get me in trouble and have fun.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I recently bought an Elkhart Lake Blue C8 (loaded).
    Fantastic driver’s car. Plenty fast enough for the street, excellent dynamics, superb interior, great American V8 rumble.
    I have owned and continue to own exotic sports car and the vette can stand proudly in any garage.
    It’s also interesting that it ticks some kind of “American childhood fantasy” box for me. My Dad was at Ford in the 60s and early 70’s and we lived in Birmingham, MI. In the neighborhood it was always an obsession about The Big Three. And people getting Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, etc. The vette was always out of reach, and not a realistic car to dream about getting. (European stuff was considered weird, you were a rich eccentric dude...)

Yesterday a couple friends and I out driving around feeling patriotic. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You understand. You were either a Ford or a Chevy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

k wright and italiafan like this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mine -- until the Z06 shows up.

Its a Chevy but you would be surprised how many people compliment it. Its my daily driver and GT. Don't knock it 'til you try it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

mdrums, HotShoe, ralfabco and 11 others like this.
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like C4's but I understand they are terrible cars.

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are a bit on the rough side..that is for sure. But they were the first car to achive the 1g in cornering back in 1984. That suspension set up stuck with the corvette up until the c8. The C4 vetted.. was quite the game changer. They blew it with the carry over crossfire injection engine that was in the 82 vette. But keep in mind..the car was designed in the smogger era..where a Ferrari only had 200hp..

paulchua, JP365 and italiafan like this.
  20. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Early ones were a bit under-cooked. The 4+3 transmission is “fine” if it is maintained. The Atari dash is an acquired taste and a bugger to fix (or so I’m told). Post 1990 cars have a more traditional gauge cluster. The leather sport seats are very comfortable, the cloth standard seats are “ok.” Later cars with the ZF are great driver’s cars. The targa is a pain (four bolts and a ratchet). The HVAC system is pretty good for a car of that era. My car is black with a gray interior, and the A/C usually keeps me comfortable until it’s is over 90. I will say that upgrading the radiator and water pump are a good idea if you live in a hot region and get stuck in city traffic frequently. The high door sills will keep you limber, but other than that, I don’t have any real complaints.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said, remember the 1980 180hp Cali Vette? Ouch.

22. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #122 ralfabco, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    305 engine.^

Outside of CA you could obtain the L82. You could not order the L82 with the 4spd.

85mph speedometer with 55 highlighted.

——

Stereotyping owners is wrong.

paulchua likes this.
  23. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    The new C8 Corvette is impressive (performances) but it’s so ugly IMHO. Science fiction look, weird, no elegance. Definitely not for me ;)

AtomicPunk88 and Martyt like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yup, 180HP automatic. Yeesh.

The same stringing emissions rules for California got the 1980 Mondial 8 (just 2% of Mondial in the United States) as it had to adhere to California, Ferrari's biggest market in the USA.

Thank goodness they sorted the Vette out later (as with the Mondial) - unfortunately, Mondial has a hard time getting out from the stigma of the original Mondial 8 emission stuff, hence you still have clickbait articles today claiming every Mondial does 0-60 in 9 seconds.

It didn't help the Mondial 8 was 20% more expensive than its more svelte sister, the 308gtsi

ralfabco likes this.
  25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i would say the same thing about some astons, paganis and koeneggseg(sp?) etc.