Ferrari vs Corvette | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Corvette

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    When they were new I would see the occasional 3x8 car on the road. I did not see many Mondials.

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What I call the Cali spec Mondial 8 (what click bait articles always reference) - only 147 exited; I bet at least 20% have already long parted out. so probably only about ~100 left

That said, a very dark time, for all sports cars.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    I agree with you.

4. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Can't argue that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    The front and side profile sits well with me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua and BJK like this.
  5. Akg200

Akg200 Karting

Mar 10, 2022
    The States
    Both are really awesome but I’d always choose the Ferrari.

6. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Or, have have both. I drive my corvette way more than my Ferrari.

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Beautiful, anybody that puts down a Vette just because it’s a Vette is car snob. They are amazing cars!

brookliner7 likes this.
  8. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Other than the rubber-bumper C3s, I like just about all Corvettes. I recently saw a C8 Z06 in person and was blown away by how aggressive and beautiful the cars are. Pics really don't do them justice. Interestingly the one that I saw had manufacturer plates on it.

As for the C4, they're really kind of a junky, plasticky car -especially the earlier, pre-face lift cars (<1991). HOWEVER, I personally feel that they're the absolute best value in classic cars right now. There isn't another car out there that delivers such an iconic design (there were a ton of C4 Corvette posters on walls back in the 80s), has extensive motorsports history (dominated SCCA showroom stock for 3 years straight until they were outlawed and also held multiple 24 hour speed records - both L98 and LT5), and provides the level of handling and braking for the price that one can be purchased for. You can regularly purchase VERY low mileage (<15K miles), mint condition, all original C4s for under $25K (often less than $20K). Imagine what a mint, all original and low mile 308/328 or AC 911 would cost in comparison. They would be multiples more. We have an '89 C4 Vert with less than 20K miles on it that we picked up in the teens. It's mint and beautiful - especially with the ultra-clean styling of the earlier cars. Yes, it's plasticky and unrefined, but it does handle and stop well and is about as fast as our 3.2 Mondial.

They're great cars for an inexpensive, classic driver.

2cam

paulchua and italiafan like this.
  9. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    JDZNate, anunakki, RedNeck and 2 others like this.
  10. USMCS6

USMCS6 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Well GM DID buy a 458 engine to use as the engineering model.. Imagine if Ferrari was dedicated to a N/A version with 2022 tech VS 2008.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Unfortunately the market dictates that Ferrari keep up with the Joneses (horsepower), so alas it could not be.

Standard 488 GTB was making similar power and maybe a bit more torque.....all this before the Pista, F8, and now 296.

I totally agree with the sentiment. I don't think the 700-800 hp mid engine car with turbos is a more satisfying car than high 600s/low 700s NA car, but Ferrari figures the turbo route is better marketing.

Right now, if you want NA and exotic for "entry" level mid engine, you have to go with a Huracan.

NA Mid engine in general:

Cayman GT4 RS
    C8 Z06
    Huracan

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Turbos are poop..I hate them. The 488 is turning into a real turd as the years and mileage start adding up. Sorry to say, but Ferrari had better figure out these issues as they continue production. If they don't, they will lose market share rapidly.

13. USMCS6

USMCS6 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    I will keep my entry level 458. Ive turned it up a bit. Its as much as most anyone needs on a day to day basis. If I need more, I have options.

14. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    458 is a great car and last of an era.

15. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Something about the C8 styling just feels off to me personally. Maybe if the headlights were further forward or redesigned to make the hood look longer, that might fix it. It looks scrunched up in the front in a weird way to me, but I can’t fault anyone who wants that much car for the money.

italiafan likes this.
  16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i felt that way too, but in person you dont notice it. it looks great in person. the stripe helps a lot too.

Attached Files:

DIGMAN52, italiafan and Boomhauer like this.