Ferrari vs Lamborghini... Past,Present, Future | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari vs Lamborghini... Past,Present, Future

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FerrariFR33458, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I see Mclarens everywhere around where I live and I don't even turn my head to have a second look. They do absolutely nothing for me. I always stop and check out any Ferrari other than maybe a FF.

Tifosi Dude and stavura like this.
  2. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Except that I'm an introvert and hate people. I know. Total mismatch. :)

3. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto

I have a friend who bought a McL and he says the same. Liked the car but it was always in the shop.

4. Hhaley

Hhaley Rookie

Jul 25, 2011

5. Hhaley

Hhaley Rookie

Jul 25, 2011
    Hi finnerty,
    I noticed you mentioned looking for the “right “ Mclaren MP4-12C.There is a beautiful one in my area - a 2014 white Spider with red/ black interior in fantastic condition.It has several desirable options and had a MSRP of $ 333k. The dealer is planning to put it up for sale in early spring,but would probably be willing to sell now to a serious buyer. I believe the asking price is $ 129,950. If this sounds like one you’d be interested in, I could have him contact you for photos and further information.
    Hhaley

6. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I am not a turbo fan. I know they are faster, I just don't care. The 458 was already well into the realm of too-fast-to-matter, but the NA motors just sound so much better and add so much to the drama and experience.
    The Lambos have amazing motors, no way around that; I'd buy a new R8 before a 488. The front-engined Ferrari V12s are also amazing, but something about the mid-engine layout (Aventador) is more appealing to me as a driver. Of course, I am not a huge fan of the Lambo flamboyancy, but where I live all of these things are over the top.

7. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Thanks Hhaley for the consideration.

But, I am definitely looking only at coupes (no spiders). Though certainly not my first choice, I could be okay with a white exterior but not at all a fan of red interiors on any cars.

No offense and, GLWS on yours --- sounds like a nice car at a very good price :)

8. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    say 8% tax, the total purchase price was 360K.
    so the car now sells for $130K. that's 230K cost for 5-year ownership (excluding registration, insurance, maintenance, etc).

I'm happy some rich folks buy these cars new so we mortals can enjoy them used.

Lotaz likes this.
  9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Yep.

It's one of the main reasons why I am looking now, the MP4 is a tremendous bargain (bang for the buck) on the current secondary market.

For some reason, and I'm not sure why, but in particular in the US market place, both McLaren and Aston Martin depreciate like stones. Maserati is not much better as well. Other than for the new-car warranty coverage, these are all terrible cars to purchase new (unless money is not a concern, I suppose).

McLaren and Aston Martin do have a lot of serious and high cost issues right out of the box, so having the warranty sure helps ---- and once they are off, it is certainly a factor in driving their depreciation. Maserati, on the other hand is proving to have very good reliability / reasonable operating costs, so their depreciation is more of a mystery, IMHO. With that in mind, I believe used Masers are the premier bargain in the exotic car world of today ---- though I concede they are not nearly in the same class of performance as most of the others.

But, since we are all here on a Ferrari enthusiast site, I wager most of us would rather drive a modern Maserati than a late model Jag, Lexus, or BMW for about the same total cost......... I know I would (and, I do ;)) !

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #35 I'm 360 Canuck, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    I get why AM and Masers drop in value...I think they fall in the category of luxury daily drivers with Bentley and all the German cars.
    I’m more puzzled by why mclarens don’t retain their value better. It’s as if they’re somehow lumped in with corvettes or something.

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    On this topic, I appreciate both Ferrari and Lambos.
    I think it does come down to whether you prefer curves vs angles. Lambos have always been more dramatic to me, they hit you in the face right away, and appear more exotic, whereas a Ferrari you often have to take in...more like art in a gallery.

In terms of performance, flip a coin. I wouldn’t say one is consistently superior to the other.

12. Hhaley

Hhaley Rookie

Jul 25, 2011
    Hey,no problem,just throwing it out there.BTW,the interior is black alcantara/ red leather.If you know anyone else looking,feel free to pass this on.Also,as mentioned in the thread,there have been issues with the earlier MP4-12Cs,but McLaren has been excellent in their customer care ( as opposed to Ferrari in my experience); I’m sure it’s because they are the new kids on the block,competing against the likes of Ferrari,Lamborghini,and Porsche.They have to give the extra effort if they are to complete with the Big Dogs. With this car being the last year of the model,any issues have already been worked out,and it has been a very reliable vehicle.
    Good luck with your search.I’m sure you will find your match and won’t be disappointed!