Ferrari workshop knowledge | FerrariChat

Ferrari workshop knowledge

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rjdavatar, Dec 18, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Does anyone know what the procedure is for training / informing professional
    ferrari mechanics?

For example, is there a set of manuals/workshop procedures in the factory,
    or available to agents, which is not accessible to the customers such as ourselves?

Is there somewhere an independent description by Chat-people of what knowledge is contained in which manuals?

I notice that at least the following list of manuals contains information useful for the 308 QV (my interest.. ;-)

308 GTS/GTB Parts Cataloge
    308 GT4 Workshop Manual
    308 QV/328 GTS/GTB Workshop Manual
    308 QV Owners Manual
    328 Owners Manual
    328 GTS/GTB Technical Spec Service Bulletin Index
    365 GT4/2+2 Service Handbook
    328 GTS/GTB Wiring Diagram

However, are there any other manuals relevant to the 308 QV?

In particular, does the Mondial 8 / Mondial QV manual contribute any additional
    information?

Finally, where can one obtain the mondial 8 / mondial qv manual, preferably
    as cd or download?

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've never heard a complete description, however my impression is that whenever a new model comes out, one or more of the dealer's mechanics is sent to a multi-day seminar on it taught by a 'factory' training person. He then comes back & passes the knowledge on to the rest of the shop.

I've occasionally seen looseleaf notebooks on eBAY that seem to be factory seminar handouts w/notes.

The primary dealer documentation are the workshop & parts manuals such as those you listed. BTW, my understanding is that those manuals were originally only available to dealer personnel.

It's only been in the last 3 or 4 years that .PDF files of the 3x8 manuals became available on the Internet. Before that they were almost impossible to come by unless you had a dealer tech buddy who'd bring a copy home & watch you while you made a photocopy.

The engine & trans sections of the Mondial manuals are very relevant to the corresponding 308GTS/GTB models. Often the Mondial manuals have additional drawings, or text that adds some insight an area. Also the translators were different so the text can sometimes be helpful.

Your list made me think you were familiar with Steve Jenkins private ;^) document collection:
    http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/

However, it also has a Mondial SPC which you don't seem to have.
    I don't know of a source for the Mondial WSMs other than eBAY & places like FerrariBooks:
    http://ferraribooks.com/home

3. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    thanks verell

my collection comes from a combination of the jenkins site, and some cd's
    purchased at ebay. I had missed the mondial parts manual. But have that now...

I'll begin searching for the mondial WSM

its interesting that the Ferrari agencies can survive in the electronic age, using
    apprenticeship / word-of-mouth exchange of information!

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Oh, yes, almost forgot:

Somewhere in the late '90s Ferrari started putting out their service info on CDs.
    I haven't seen one so I don't know how detailed they are.
    I believe the CDs require a key code to be read, but this is hearsay.

Haven't heard how the CDs relate to other training, etc. However, my impression is that Ferrari's dealer network in general is pretty old school conservative & slow to change.