FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wax, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    1st priority is find a way to get back to full screen width. This annoys me very much too. I have no idea if it will be quick fix or take some time. Thanks.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'll take a look at the source code to see what can be done for width. Being a psychic, I saved all three views immediately:
    Pre-update
    Update with quick links sans icons I created.
    Update with old top.

OK. It appears to be a simple proposition with one caveat:
    Find and Replace: "760" with "100%".
    Caveat: In most instances, "760px" will need to be replaced with "100%" - not just "760"

Side question: Is <div class="page" style="width:760px; text-align:left">
    an official "name" for the style we see per vB "rules"?

3. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    It sucks!

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Hmmmm....not my favorite layout. I liked the way before. I agree that the exploded links across the top were nice "ferrarichat<general discussion" and liked the board size going all across my screen instead of just down the middle.

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's already being addressed, gents. Patience.

6. Ron

Ron Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2002
    LA
  7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i thought it was just a bug. its decent but imo the old layout was better

i think we should have one of the "quick reply" boxes too :)

8. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

The fact that several people mentioned the use of only the middle of the screen suggests that a lot of us (me included) are using at least 1024 x 768 resolution. At 800 x 600, the messages fill the screen. Can the software be adjusted to look for the users resolution and fit that?

Things I like

Multiple images

Previously "visited" threads are in normal font, "un-visited" threads are bold

You can sort by column headings (unlikely to be used much, but it has it's place)

Things I miss

Tiered linked headings, e.g. FerrariChat -> Technical Q&A

Apparent fixed resolution

9. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    like the avatars :)

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Why are the margins SO BIG???????????

11. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    With the usernames and avatars above the message text, you get situations where the fixed, repeating stuff takes up way more space than the actual message!

Since horizontal space is more available than vertical space in a website layout (due to our landscape shaped monitors), items should be organized to take advantage of that. This new layout does not. Since the subject line and user info is stacked on top of the message text, more scrolling down will be required to read the same amount of information compared to the old layout. For example, it takes the vertical space of about 8 lines of text to display Napolis' one line message that appears just above mine.

Just a comment from a web design geek.

-Slim

12. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I like some of the changes, I.E. the color scheme and buttons, etc. but the vertical stacking thing has got to go. Ill be patient though. :)

Keep up the good work Rob

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I just would like a fix to go back to the topic list like befor other than that not all that bad

Rob

14. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Is it just me or does it look a lot more professional now? Kinda like the original FChat. I didn't like the recent one (Nov-Feb) it looked too cluttered.

Now it's got clean lines again!!! Congrats!!!

/Dan

15. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #40 wax, Feb 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Less space used than on the old design - the width will be addressed to go back to 100% of window, not a fixed 760px. Using my psychic powers, I think Rob's trying to get the multiple images to line up correctly first, though.

In the meantime, regardless of width - here's a comparison of old vs. new vertical space.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I think someone got an A in professional communications, i.e. the importance of white space. Too bad we've gotten used to the old board. I kinda like the new style. Aids in speed reading.

17. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    Looks like the minimum size on the old design was about 11 lines high, while the new layout is about 8 lines high. So, yes, for short posts, I guess the new is better. (still not optimum but better)

However, if the post is say, 20 lines long itself, the old total would be 22 since the avatar and name are along side the post, while the new would be 31 since the space taken for avatar is always stacked above the post. Does that make sense?

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Interesting feedback Dan, not expecting that, but I guess that's a good thing. Thanks.

19. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Rob you make the calls your the boss, but I liked the old reply to thread and horizontal view better. Also, how can I change it to display everything in alternating red and yellow like I had it set up to do until you changed the software?
    Erik

20. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    whats up ROB??

21. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk

Just some suggestions (although I'm sure you know most of these already)

Can't pick which forum at the top to go back to the main forum or to reload the OT or whatever you are in,

no color schemes now,

width,

no quick links to PM (kind of sucks, would like this, although I can go to profile and then do it),

BUT - the profile (when you click on it) does not spawn in a new window!

22. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Bring back my red and yellow!!!!!!!!!!!
    Erik

23. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Not sure if I'm missing something but when I clicked Search this forum in the Offtopic section it simply scrolled to the bottom of the screen. Probably something I am missing but figured i'd mention it. I like the new software Rob. It will simply take a little getting used to but thank God for the multiple image post capability. Great job.

24. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I thought the text size was bigger.I've been trying to figure out what setting got screwed up.Well at least i know I'm not crazy.I kinda wish we had the little click on smilies.They were neat.

25. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Scared me when i just signed on I thought someone had been on my accountant and changed my color scheme.