FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wax, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Sorry, Rob, but I don't like it!!!!! Can we switch back??

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Let's keep all the discussions in one place. Please report bugs or give feedback. Also remember that I too like how some things looked and worked in the old version. We'll try to merge the best of both over time. Please be patient.

Work Log...

-multiple images per post: (fixed)
    -auto 100% table borders: (fixed)
    -select special color combos: (fixed)
    -navigation links bug "Array": (open)
    -page search functionality: (open)

3. Tifosi1

Tifosi1 Formula 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Pearl River, LA
    Full Name:
    Kelly J. Vince
    Now I can put in those extra 600 pictures from the FFQC that I've been saving.
    HAHA

kelly

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think it's great as always - Nice work Rob! Your care always shows through - Great job.

5. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I like it to a extent, Im sure it will grow on me and I will enjoy it more than the old layout. Espicialy the multiple images. I miss the option to go back to the original discussion thread that I was at. It use to be above next thread and previous thread.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    See if I have it fixed for you now. Thanks for the report. It will take time to get everything worked out everyone. It will also take time to figure out what we really like that's new and what we want to revert back. If a majority wants to revert anything back, I will.

7. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Rob,

One thing I notice is that when I click on a thread and then return to the index the thread is highlighted in red. That is great because I can see exactly where I was. However, if I click on the icon to take me to my last unread post within the thread, when I return to the index it is not immediately apparent where I was. The envelope does not change to closed either, unless it has been quite a while.

8. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. I liked the older way...

9. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    2 things:

The little space between posts

any way to select if we want this or the last, avatars to left version?

10. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Rob, I've only been on here for a few weeks and I like the new layout. But I would like to see the "profile bla bla bla" buttons back.

It's great that you spend your time on this site though. Shows you really care!

11. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    know what, nevermind on the buttons. I like this better.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, you can just click on the name.

How can anyone even say they don't like it yet?

1) You haven't used it much.

2) Did you not hear when I said we'll revert back the good stuff from old.

Some of y'all are a pain in the ass. If you don't like change, then leave, I'm always going to try improving the community, some things may not work and that's why we'll take it slow and revert a change back if we need to. I didn't get the community where it is today by not doing anything!

13. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How can you not expect some people to provide you the feedback that you so religiously depend on? Just because people have differences doesn't mean that we don't appreciate all of the effort and dedication you have given to this fantastic community.

I can understand your frustration, but don't take any negative comments personally. Again, thanks for your continued efforts...I hope everyone ends up liking the changes once everything is settled

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Something old, something new, something blue. Looks fantastic & with the button count lowered, multiple .gifs be-gone along with the table formatting changed, there are smaller default file sizes to begin with. As impatient annotations attest, layout does not happen in a matter of minutes, but when it does all gel, as it has - it is efficient and clean. Job well done.

15. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    On the topic of optimizing space usage... or minimizing whitespace...

Rob, while the change to vertical is a small win (by getting closer to the height of the Avatar with each post), here's an alternative that might be even better:

Go back to horizontal, but layout out the sig section more like the new... with Avatar on left (nothing above or below it), then name over the location/profile info.

That gets each <4 line post down to just the height of the avatar plus date/subject separator line. That would be optimal for the vast majority of posts.

For longer posts, the vertical cost is zero plus however much the length of the post expands due to less horizontal space per line. That depends upon screen size. Assuming a 25% loss of horizontal post space, that means its a win up to about 16-line posts. Above 16 lines, its a loss. Given those are rare, I think overall its a clear win, in that situation.

The caveat: people with small screens. For example, someone with an 800x600 screen (surely nothing's smaller than that any more ;) ), might be looking at 1/3 of their horizontal space consumed by Avatar plus author name. I think it would still be a win (break-even point at 12 lines instead of 16), but it might be unliked... I'd have to see it to decide myself.

A person with a 640x480 screen... my guess is the new/current vertical format will be strongly preferred by them.

Just FWIW.

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i like it. keep up the good work ROB. my computer is still hanging up on 64.49.222.57/0.gif counter. i turned off my firewall ( !!!!) briefly and it still does it. have no clue why the counter wont display or load, but its NOT a big deal. i like the rest. fchat kicks a$$!!!!! michael

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I wasnt trying to be negetive, those little spaces get me (damn OCD....)

18. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Rob, I like it. I think it looks more professional.

Best
    Mark

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Personally, I find the new layout MUCH easier to read. I like the color scheme, use of "engraved" boxes, multiple pictures, etc. After years in I.T., I've learned to ignore most of the complaints associated with "change". It takes time for a user community to adopt the new stuff.

Who remembers the switch from character-based systems to GUI's? Now that was a tough one... What about having to upgrade system memory by using a soldering gun and loose chips?

Give the guy a break.

F-CHAT is about the community, not the software.

-Daniel

20. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    (A) don't take it personally, rob. everybody here appreciates the site, but if your wife suddenly redecorated the bedroom without telling you, it'd take you some time to adjust too. you'd still love her :).

(B) the Quick Links menu is cute. jury's out in my mind, but it might be twice too cute. it does remove the clutter, and it does solve the problem of those graphical icons being totally not indicative of the functionality underneath. it's just two keystrokes instead of one to do something that i imagine many of us do a lot more times per day than we'd care to admit ;).

(C) overall i LIKE the message layout. it's crystal clear who said what; it's pretty to look at; it's easy on the eyes; and as someone else pointed out, you can "speed read" easier/faster.

(D) that said, the site uses up a TON more screen real estate than it used to. a TON. i hit ctrl-minus on mozilla a couple times when i load it up and it crunches the typeface size WAY down and than it's way more manageable. i feel like i'm reading 18 point type by default!

(E) don't forget "inline images" in your to do list! that'd be super-ultra-stellar stuff if you can work it back in!

(F) any chance that this new software version will support "getnew" only for the forums you're subscribed to? any chance of testing that VB code that was emailed to you perhaps? you know i love our friends in Moldova, but i don't need to read about their get-togethers ;).

(G) why is there a "thumbs-down" icon in the Post Icons list, but there's no "thumbs-up" icon?

(H) having the Post Icons box below the Message box is a real bummer. my suggestion is to either move it above the Message and after Title; or move it to below the Submit/Preview buttons. as-is, you can't tab out of this Message box and get to the Submit/Preview buttons.

(I) consider swapping the Submit/Preview buttons so more people are more frequently pushed to more thoughtfully preview their more annoying posts :) MORE!

keep up the good work. and don't get discouraged by us whiners :).

doody!

21. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    That's my only negative -- I can't see as much on the screen at one time as I used to with the old layout.

22. Darkman

Darkman Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2004
    Man you really are an arrogant SOB! God forbid some people here don't like the new crap you forced on them. How about putting up a poll and asking for feedback BEFORE going live with new software changes. That is how you grow a community. Telling people to leave if they don't like YOUR master plan is called a dictatorship not a community!

23. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    also, the color scheme should penetrate the board menu stuff at the top and bottom. not very pretty in red/yellow with that slate blue all over the place.

doody.

24. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Rob.

1. I Like it. Although I didn't have a lot of time on the previous iteration.

2. Lighten up. Don't ask for opinions, then jump all over the guys who give them.

3. I like it.

4. See 1 & 3.

Ok, I'm done. We should all sit tight and wiat to see how it evolves. And, remember out there, it's FREE to be here. Let Rob experiment with it now and again, it's his baby.

25. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark

The UI is great now, and I like the use of color as well as the drop downs we have now in the profiles. Great work, and thanks for all the time I know you've been putting in on this. It's a winner.

Mark