FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Software Upgrade: DISCUS HERE ONLY...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wax, Feb 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    At the bottom there are links to "Contact Us - FerrariChat.com - Top".

As I've said we'll wait for it to get stable and the users to get use to it. At that point we'll make good direction changes. Making it more like the old board is possible, however, I'm also hearing quite a few that like the new look.

The GREAT thing is we can have dozens of styles and each user can pick what they want. That will make everyone happy. :) We can have the following styles and more...

Default (like it is now)
    Red/Yellow (you can select that now)
    Gray/Yellow (you can select that now)
    Gray/Red (you can select that now)
    Old Style
    Large Print

Thanks for the feedback,
    rob

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, so resolution isn't your problem. Yes, it is larger, after all slows down, I can look at making the fonts smaller. Thanks.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Rob,

This is the third software upgrade I've experienced in my two years here. Each has been an improvement over the previous version.

Barry

4. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    OK, that is only one extra click but I still find it strange. As for the avatar/text layout I really prefer and find more useful/clear/functional the horizontal layout.

It's ok (pretty nice I must say) for the rest of the upgrades. 3 thumbs up for the multipicture thing :)

What about some smileys in the empty space right of the reply box? Time to feel younger for many users... :D:D:D

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Just wanted to note that one bug has persisted into the new vB stuff... not your bug, but you might want to pass it along.

If you come back to the site after being gone a few hours and all at once load your favorite forums (e.g., say 5 of them) into separate windows or tabs, the "last visited" date will get updated more than once... so, a couple of the forums will show last visited as a few hours ago (and all the unread threads will be shown as unread), while the rest of the forums will show last visted as *NOW*, meaning there's nothing marked unread. Ack!

The work-around is to update just one forum, let it complete, then load in the rest.

I assume that the software is updating two (or more) variables, but is doing them in the wrong order OR needs a semaphore to prevent two threads from updating the same information twice at once.

With the prevalence of tabbed browsers, I suspect this will gradually become more and more of an issue for people.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Recommendation... to make better use of the space consumed by the red bar (for most of us its red)... I'd put the post title centered in there rather than down below in the message body. JMHO.

7. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Wow, this is seriously cool... I haven't seen any other vbforum like this (probably because it is new) but I really like the new look

One suggestion I have would be to maybe make all of the links under the username spawn new windows, instead of JUST the profile like it is now? That way you don't have to leave your thread when you want to send a pm and reference something that someone said or whatever

Also, do these new changes mean that we will be getting real names back soon? pleeeeaseee ? :)

8. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    That's next on my list. :) Everyone make sure your full name in the profile is filled out though.

10. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Love the new software Rob! Great move!

No longer had to post 100 pictures seperately after the Enzo drive in SoCal :)

11. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Well hey - this looks a lot different than it did last night. This format looks much nicer.

12. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    rob - can you right-justify the stuff on the right side of the user section of a post? take a look at jordan's - it's the extreme example where it kinda looks silly. it'd look cleaner if those lines were right-justified instead of left-justified within the table (i assume it's a table).

my two drachmas.

doody.

13. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just realized I can finnaly put my AIM and Yahoo messanger screennames in my profile.

14. bling

bling Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    Let me make EVERYONE aware of a simple fact. Rob does very little to
    run this site. The software could be installed by my 6 year old
    nephew, for more information view
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/index.php

This [the site layout] is just a TEMPLATE. THAT'S RIGHT ROB DIDN'T DO
    A SINGLE DESIGN IN THIS WHOLE SITE, IMAGINE THAT, HE IS GOING TO TAKE
    YOUR MONEY AND YOUR GOING TO GIVE IT TO HIM AND SAY, "Wow you did such
    a great job!" when in reality he didn't do jack ....

WAKE UP FERRARICHATTERS. There are 1000s of websites running vB 3 with
    this same template.

Other sites using this template NOT DESIGNED BY ROB:

http://forum.vb-fr.com/
    www.vbulletin.org/forum/
    http://www.vbulletin.nl/community/showthread.php?p=25472#post25472

Wow this is just to name a few. So everyone can stop worshipping him
    for NOTHING. HE DOES NOTHING!

ROB I JUST WANTED TO SAY YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB OF FOOLING EVERYONE AND
    TAKING THEIR MONEY. GOOD JOB ON BUYING A F355 CHALLENGE AND THEN
    GETTING THE SITE TO PAY FOR IT. I WISH I HAD THIS TALENT.

Enjoy the site everyone, because we all know Rob is working SO HARD to
    run this site, sometimes I wonder how he has the time to do it! So
    much energy! I love Forza FerrariChat!

15. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    bling - i'm amused that you think software matters (and i make my living starting software companies!). software is just a tool. some people can take a hammer and make the taj mahal, some people take a hammer and end up putting themselves in the emergency room.

online communities aren't about software. they're about, drum roll, communities.

and maybe anybody could have created ferrarichat. but rob actually did create ferrarichat. and to the victor go the spoils.

doody.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    LOL - When have I ever claimed I wrote all of this from scratch? I've also never hid the fact that vBulletin is the company behind the software. Every single page on the forum has "vBulletin Version 3.0.0" on it. Whenever I talk about upgrades, configuring, or fixing bugs I reference vB. Just since November 1st I've had 19 threads that I posted to and mentioned vB. I first installed vB back in May of last year and we had many discussions about it on the old software and I had many users test it before we went live. The forum part of the site runs on vB, I've never hid that.

Your quote "Rob does very little to run this site." is wrong though. If it's so easy, why don't you do it? If it's so easy, why aren't there any other Ferrari sites with even just 10% the traffic we have? Here's a rough estimate of my time allocation...

20% Software/Hardware - installing software, upgrading software, configuring, server maintenance, bug fix, analysis/planning future changes.
    60% User Administration - community oversight/moderation, user help desk (50-100 emails a day).
    20% Business - Sponsors, advertising, paying the bills, accounting.

Actually, only the User Admin stuff really wears me out. That's the work load that has increased so much with the growth of the site. With 600-800 new users a month there are a few registration, activation, and usage questions. Moderators will be able to help with the oversight/moderation, but it will be awhile before I can have someone take over the help desk and that's something I will have to pay for. Moderators on the other hand may just be happy with a few shirts. :)

Bling, you are right, the software by itself only takes about 10-15% of my time. vBulletin is awesome and the hack community can support many customizations along with the ones I do myself.

Thanks for your feedback,
    rob

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Bling, can I see you in the Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati, and Nashville metropolitan areas? :D :D :D

18. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    You've done an excellent job with your forum, Rob -- especially with the updates and improvements over the years. A big thanks for providing and managing such a first class forum. Some of the help and information that I've benefited from to date have been invaluable.

Quick question...the other day, I went to print a thread and noticed that the "Printer Friendly" option disappeared (?). Tried searching around for it, or it's related settings, but to no avail. It was a nice feature at times when all I needed was the text info. -- a great tool for creating a quick and dirty hard copy for use in the garage, etc. Is this a feature that you might be planning to integrate again in the future?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hmm, I never remember that from the old board, where was it located? I'll check into it. That's needed functionality.

20. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    I used it a couple of times around the end of last year (Nov. / Dec. '03 perhaps?). It was at the bottom of the screen page near the "Posting Rules" dialog box, if I remember correctly. I think that the forum was upgraded again after that time, correct?

21. bling

bling Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    Hey I can do a who is search too:

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    LAY, ROB (RLJ303) [email protected]
    1150 N. White Chapel
    Southlake, TX 76092
    US
    817-421-4342 fax: 123 123 1234

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Hey, that's not my fax number! :)

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I leave for 3 days and Rob's changed the board again! First impression is bad, I don't like having all the names and avatars above the post. It crowds my screen and makes me scroll more to read all the responses. I liked them off to the side.

Bling, F**k Off. Did you think of Ferrarichat.com? No. Do you manage it or have anything to do with it? No. Did you just sign on to be an a$$? Yes. Rob went out and made something, you didn't.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How was sking?

Someone somewhere in this thread showed how we're saving about 4 lines of space per post this new way, but I agree we still have some work we need to do on it.

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Try selecting the drop down for "Thread Tools" in the thread.

Thanks,
    rob