FerrariChat.com update - Month 6 Poll | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com update - Month 6 Poll

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Mar 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Thoughts about the FerrariChat update - Month 6?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2018.
  1. Do Not Like - FerrariChat was better before and not acceptable.

29 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. Do Not Like - Acceptable especially with optional Old or Blue styles.

34 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. Indifferent - Positive & negatives about equal.

29 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. Like - Growing on me, more positives than negatives.

54 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. Like - Major improvements.

52 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    I'm runing the old style format and for the most part the same as before. I do like the new PM/Conversation in that is appears as a thread which is much easier to follow.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Rob, I really like it. I think the site works better and I think the "like" function along with the quoting functions are great. I use the classic theme and I think it works great. All the early gremlins are worked out in my eyes.

rob lay likes this.
  3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm used to it. Many new features I like but I still prefer many of the old software. I prefer the old avatar's and the old site on mobile formats. But this system has many good features too. It's not going away so not much choice :D

Sales@CNCMOTORS likes this.
  4. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    So far so good. Love the app so I can just tap and go. As far as any improvements I would say the ability to edit your own posts past the allotted time (I say this because I've leaped before I looked on a few) and a way to see if someone receives/opens your PMs. (I think mine go through when they feel like it).

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Why would you think that I'm not still upset about not being able to have the posts in a thread listed newest to oldest - unacceptable! ;)

PS You've got to increase the edit time up to 20 minutes minimum.

Mechanical Dad and Martin308GTB like this.
  6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Being new to Fchat in the past year and a technophobe my opinion should really count. That said never one to shy away from voicing an opinion, I've still not got the hang of posting pics into a thread. But that might just be me!

That aside a fantastic community...keep it up!

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    +308.
    Or better 30 minutes for me, being no native speaker.

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The new format is overly complicated and packed with features that don’t belong. This isn’t Facebook, and it’s not Microsoft Word.

There are things hat I should be able to figure out for myself without asking for help. But I can’t.

For example, I just cannot figure out how to get email notifications when someone sends me a private message or when someone replies to a thread to which I’d like to subscribe. Sure, I could read the handbook, ask someone, or spend hours trying to figure out how to do these things and more, but I refuse to donate my time to that cause. The old format was so intuitive. I didn’t need anybody to teach me how to use the features. The new format is a labyrinth of passageways to arrive at basic and unnecessary features.

As a result of the switch to the new format, I have spent 1/20 the time on FChat that I did in the past. It is cumbersome.

Sorry to be negative.

jjmalez likes this.
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's growing on me. I've probably been on a dozen vBulletin sites, so the old was familiar. The new took a bit of adjustment, but once I figured out that PM's are now Conversations, I was off and running. Love the Alerts.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    As an experiment I timed myself trying to figure out how to get email notifications for threads and conversations. I have never done either or looked for it, even in the old software.

Thread - literally took me 5 seconds to find, as I scrolled up it is right there top of thread where it should be "Watch Thread".

Conversations - this took me longer at a minute because I first looked in the actual conversation, but it isn't there. By default I then went to the personal Control Panel. 95% of controls you have access to and anything you can edit is under your User Control panel which is the menu when you hover over your name top right. to get conversation notifications you set the option under Contact Details. I think there should be a "Watch Conversation", but Contact Details would be the 2nd place I look.

You have almost 3,000 posts over 14 years and how much time have you spent browsing, but you aren't capable of logically looking around for one minute 5 seconds and it is the softwares fault?

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI posting pictures works like it did old software except that now you can click Full Image anywhere you want with the thread. Old software unless you knew the ATTACH trick, all your images had to be very end of post.

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, the new system handles images much better. Just put the cursor where you want the image, hit full, and that's it.

I can't help but notice that many users have not figured that out, though. :)

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Hi Rob,

I did not indicate how much time I spent on these things but I did spend several minutes.

I spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get email notifications about private messages. I still cannot figure it out. I went into the control panel and the option just doesn’t seem there.

I went to “alert preferences.” There are options to “receive an alert.” What is an alert? Is that an email? An alert to me is not synonymous with email. I don’t know what an alert is.

As for receiving email notifications for private conversations, there is no way I would have figured that out because there is a frustration factor. You have to understand that as users become frustrated, they have less tolerance to continue to navigate through the labyrinth of pathways to figure things out.

Now that you’ve told me, I still cannot find this user control panel under my profile. I still haven’t executed the private messages notification setting because I am using a mobile device at the moment and I just don’t know how to get to the place under my profile to which you are referring.

My overal point is that the format is complex. I don’t believe it needs to be complex. It’s nobody’s “fault” - the decision to change something about which nobody really complained (and frankly who cares if a small number did) is one with which I disagree.

It’s like Apple’s iOS. The system is changed every year and becomes more complicated every year. They are outsmarting themselves and driving people away. They are making things too complicated. Change for the sake of maintaining “progress” isn’t the best idea in every case, but software people seem to think it is. We see this with the weather applications and thousands more. It’s very annoying to have to learn a new format for a weather application several times per year.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    forget it, if you still can't figure it out after I told you where it was as simply as possible, then you are just computer illiterate. After I told you it was under "Contact Details" why in the heck are you looking under “Alert Preferences"!?!

15. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I think its harder to read due to the coloring.. not sure why.. the printing is too light or something.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks Dave or Contact Details right there first level just 2 down.

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Doh...I'm still on my first cup of coffee :)

19. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Ha! good, we are trying to change things up with trophies, for a while everyone had gotten them all. now it's more 'competitive'- all in good fun.

JV's89 likes this.
  20. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apparently my statement that I was using a mobile device was not read.

I am using a mobile device today. There is no hovering to be done. I finally found the appropriate setting on the left hand side after some digging.

I am not computer illiterate. That’s not a nice thing to say.

Rob- you are the site administrator and a software guy. You are highly accomplished in this field, and you have been part of the transition to the new site. Your perspective is vastly different than the perspectives of general public users, and that is the thing I have tried to highlight.

In any event, thank you Rob and Dave for taking the time to help me with this.

rob lay likes this.
  21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    On mobile, you simply click your account name instead of hovering...

22. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nope. Clicking username doesn’t follow any link or result in any change.

Need to click the 3 horizontal lines at the left (menu tab), then click the little man inside the square, and the list of options appears.

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sorry I missed that you were on mobile. mobile doesn't provide 100% of the desktop functionality, you can always browse as desktop when using mobile.

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm using the "old theme" and what I posted works. Perhaps you are using the "new" theme - if it's red, it's new. If you are on the new, I'd suggest you switch to "old" and it will be far less painful for you ;)

Rob's not going to agree with me but doing the site change was a big deal and switching the look at the same time made it worst - if the default was "old theme" I'd bet it would have gone over much easier for many ;)

/ducking for cover/

:) :) :)

25. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Reason being we needed the new theme to attract newer users, so that should be default. Easier to tell the old users about the old theme. Best solution may have been default old for all old users and just new users have the new default.