FerrariChat.com vs. AOL: Please Help!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com vs. AOL: Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    me too

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Maybe AOL should fix their email gateways and policies.

AOL accepts incoming email from any source, including known blacklisted spam relays, but they pay no attention to the SMTP routing information ("received from ").

They send "undeliverable" notices and label spam complaints against the unverified "From:" header inside the message -- which can be set to anything by spamware.

Spammers have been sending out floods of emails attributed to bogus usernames at domains lifted from web pages cached on search engines. AOL sends the reject messages to the accused domain, ignoring the actual source of these emails (typically hacked computers on cable modem networks in Spain, France, Canada, and various US college campuses).

If emails to invalid users are not blocked at the SMTP delivery connection, they should be silently discarded, due to the unreliability of email tracking information. By generating misdirected response emails to all the bogus spam emails, AOL is, itself, spamming the internet, further distributing these spam mail messages.

When I tried to block such bogus reject messages with a policy reject, AOLs relay servers responded by retrying the connects every 30 seconds. I've had to block the AOL relay servers at my firewall.

Somebody at AOL really needs to get a clue about internet email configuration.

3. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Just flip AOL the "bird"