Ferris Bueller Movie Set Tour - PICTURES | FerrariChat

Ferris Bueller Movie Set Tour - PICTURES

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Mar 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #1 Dave Bendl, Mar 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am really pleased to announce this very special upcoming event for current FCA and FOC Members, their Ferrari, family, and friends are welcome to attend. The event is scheduled for Sunday May 17th.

Local Ferrari Club members have been invited by the listing Realtor to attend an exclusive open house of the North Shore, Highland Park home used in the Golden Globe Nominated, 1986 movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". This is the home where Ferris's buddy Cameron attempted to rewind mileage from the odometer of his Father's prized 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder after a day of playing "hooky" from School, using the Ferrari to drive to Chicago. Cameron in a fit of rage towards his Father, knocks the rare Ferrari off the jack, and the car plunges through the Pavilion's picture window into a deep ravine destroying the car. The car used for the movie stunt of course was a mockup not a real Ferrari California. The film has become iconic status, in fact I couldn't find a local video store tonight (I have seen the movie several times) to rent the DVD. They are all rented out.

The home was originally built in 1953 and it's design being supported on columns overlooking a deep ravine was/is considered eccentric construction especially for this area. Formally known as the "Ben Rose Auto Museum", the Pavilion Room used for the famous Ferrari movie stunt, was actually the previous owner's showcase room for his own private collection of fine automobiles including a Ferrari. While I am working with the listing Realtor to set up this event, I will post further details including the link for the home's listing which is under construction. They will be forwarding additional historical photos of the home which I will post to this thread as I receive it.

Below are further details regarding this exclusive open house:
    When: Sunday, May 17, 2009
    Start Time: 12:30 PM
    Ends: 3:30 PM
    Parking: TBA
    Where: 370 Beach St. Highland Park, IL
    Appetizers and refreshments will be available. All participants may come and go when they wish between the start/end time.

In case your wondering? The asking price is over $2 Million. As Ferris said: "If you have the means, I highly recommend it"

Since this event is in the planning stage, I'll be posting additional details so stay tuned....

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #2 tifosi12, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    This is so extremely cool, I'm getting excited like a little girl <Sprockets>. The movie is an icon of the eighties and one of my all time favourites.

I can't wait. Ordered my DVD copy of the movie today. Along with some memorabilia stuff.

This will be so cool. Is it May yet?

3. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I remember the day I saw them filming the scenes in the Loop. I was working downtown at the time and was walking around during lunch hour when I saw what looked like a Ferrari being driven around by a guy in a beret with a dufus in a plaid Ivy League cap skrunched behind him. I saw them several times during that lunch hour, and wondered what they were trying to prove, or who they were trying to impress. It wasn't until I saw the film that I knew what I had seen. Interestingly, it was not the actors but doubles who were doing the drive-arounds I saw.

4. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Yeah, haha, me too! Favorite movie of all time :)

5. Zinhead

Zinhead Karting

Feb 29, 2004
    Chicago, USA
    #5 Zinhead, Mar 25, 2009
    One of the nice touches about the movie was that Cameron, the son of the Ferrari collector, drove an Alfetta. Who else but an Italian car lover would make his son drive one?

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    +1

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    From my leaking memory:

Ferris: "Your car is a tin can!"

Cameron: "Hey, watch it!"

Ferris: "Don't worry, I don't even have a tin can."

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is that a good movie?
    :)

9. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Hey, the Alfetta was an EXCELLENT car, much better than most of its competitors in the '70s, fast, glorious handling and great sound. Or at least that is true of the carburetor, no-emissions-restrictions Euro market cars... I heard that the US-bound cars had a choked-to-death engine that couldn't pull itself out of the garage. I'd like to find and restore one, but only if I could fit it with Euro-spec carbs...

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Creative real estate promotions. Unless the (real) car makes an appearance, this sounds like any other open house. Sorry to sound like a downer.

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I have to agree Jack!

I was there years ago not long after 'Risky Business' came out, and there still wasn't much to see. By the way, I believe the Porsche that went into the lake was filmed at LFSC after it's recovery from said waters.

12. Systo

Systo Karting

Feb 15, 2007
    Plano
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    #12 Systo, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    Any FCA or FOC member want to befriend me just long enough so I can tag along:)p)? Sounds like it'd be cool to actually see it in person, I love that movie. Definitely one of the few I have to watch if I see it being aired.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #13 tifosi12, Apr 4, 2009
    I think you're missing the point. As far as I'm concerned that garage is an icon of the movies in general and for Ferrari fans in particular. Having a chance to see it in person means a great deal to me. Movie set tours are btw currently all the rage: There are even tour operators here in Chicago who take you to places where famous movies were shot. I wouldn't go that far, but a Ferrari movie is a different story, which also happens to be one of my fav movies of all times.

If this were Miami or Honolulu I would have to do the same thing in a Miami Vice/Magnum PI kinda way.

Besides: It is a free event, free lunch and a nice excuse for a get together with like minded people. What's not to like?

PS: I remember you posting a (great) pic on here of your 328 in front of the Wrigley building. Why did you do that? Because the building is meaningful to you and it has a history, it is an icon for what it stands and a cool back drop. Same difference.

14. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Agreed 100%, I really can't wait. Btw, anyone know where is the car now?

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #15 tifosi12, Apr 4, 2009
    Somehow I would have expected DaytonaRick to chime in by now. He knows a lot of the 250 California replicas around the country.

Anyhow, there were a couple of different cars used for the movie: The infamous replica with the Ford engine etc, but also a real 250 California for some of the detail and interior shots.

That doesn't answer your question though. Somebody else? Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?

16. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    Not LFSC... It was shot at Lee Klinger Porsche+Audi in Highland Park.

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    No fair--that was an edit! You're right, different strokes and all. I was the guy who spent a day looking for the Brady Bunch house in LA!

18. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #18 Chelle, Apr 4, 2009
    Kewl! I did this with the red car like 2 years ago!

It's a little difficult getting a car back there but the woman came out and showed us some pics from her husband and her past collecting and racing cars... They had the Helle Nice Bugatti :) as well as quite a few interesting old race cars :)

The widow Rose was not in the best health .... she had a home health care worker back then, I hope someone gets the chance to go through all the old racing pics she has and ID them while there are people who know which cars are which and when the pics were taken.

19. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey I'm in. Sure wouldn't mind having a Calif Spyder replicar with me when I get there, just have to do with my other toys. One of the best car movies ever, in my eyes. Right up there with Hollywood Knights and American Grafitti!, and the Calif Kid. Classic!!!!

20. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    I edited your post to make it more accurate ;)

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What you forgot to mention (being so modest) is, that a car magazine did a multiple page foto spread of your 250 GTO R based on the Ferris Bueller movie with foto shoots all over town.

22. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #22 Daytona Rick, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
    Dan you are way to young to remember these other car flics. However, you should check them out some day. They are all CLASSICS!

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #23 tifosi12, Apr 5, 2009
  24. Gerry328

Gerry328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed