Ferruccio LAMBORGHINI | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferruccio LAMBORGHINI

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Olivier NAMECHE, Feb 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Mimran's: Countach, Jalpa, LM002... and additional Power boats

Lambocars666 and joe sackey like this.
  2. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Good point Raymond, memory selection... probably ah ah ah...

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    The Mimran era of Lamborghini is the very basis for the company's current existence, he turned a bankrupt company into a viable one, and provided a foundation for the brand's growth and emergence into what it is today.

hashiriya likes this.
  4. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Not really to my point of view...

Yes Mimran era turned a bankrupt company into a viable one, I agree... but if Mimran were not there, Ferruccio Lamborghini would buy it back during the Court session leaded by Judge Mirone... and nobody is able to predict how it would happen then !

Selling at 33,000,000 USD to Chrysler what the Minram brothers bought for 3,000,000 USD is quiet a great return on invesment within 6 years (1981-1987)... what about investment to build foundation ? Thanks to Mimran brothers, yes the company balanced the debts, stabilised R&D and has the Financial assets to confort banks...
    but don't forget that there were no longer gravediggers to ripp off the company.... that's what made the most importance in the balance !

Because of the skills of Emile Novaro - CO newly appointed by Jean-Claude Mimran, the skilled Ubaldo Sgarzi head of sales and to Engineer Giulio Alfieri who was already working since 1978 for Lamborghini Automobili (not hired by Mimran as it was written erroneously many times in books & magazines)... the company had emerged from the abyss...

When Chrysler sold Lamborghini Automobili, it has lost xxxxxxUSD because of Golf War & with the Diablo unsuccess sales.... where are the Mimran foundations ?

When Suarto sold it to Audi, the company was also in big Financial troubles... where are the Mimran foundations ?

Since 1998, the new Audi era has really provided all the foundations for the brand growth into what it is today... with huge investment that NOBODY made before... nobody !

Boomhauer and Lambocars666 like this.
  5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    After the Mimran era, it’s well-known that Chrysler and Megatech were simply victims of global economic woes, and, had it not been for the establishment of brand in the Mimran era, the company might have gone bankrupt yet again. In fact, Lamborghini survived those lean years until Audi acquired it, precisely because of the foundation Mimran built, as this ensured the company’s survivability.

Sure, Audi has made the biggest investment to date, that’s obvious, but still, the Mimran era made it all possible, because Audi inherited an established brand, and that’s the very basis for their substantial investment.

To explain it better, the Mimran era is not only when the company returned to being a viable multi-car factory, but when it gained international recognition & prominence, and thus became an established brand. Mimran started from zero and by the mid-80s every young man had a Countach poster on their wall and the brand was established in the hearts & minds of enthusiasts everywhere, to the point that CBS’s 60 Minutes produced a now-famous Lamborghini documentary. Incidentally, the mid-80s is when I was first inspired by the brand’s popularity and purchased my first Countach.

The success of Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA was entirely earned and built-step-by-step, in fact, Mimran purchased the factory in 1981 in difficult global economic times. The company’s profitability had nothing to do with the lack of previous poor management ripping off the company, and everything to do with planning, persistence, hard work, promotion, and great products. Another key to the company’s success was Emile Navarro who Mimran brought with him to oversee the existing management, the former having worked for the Mimran family for years overseeing their interests in West Africa & Europe.

FWIW I touched on Patrick Mimran’s role in establishing the brand in the article in Classic & Sports Car’s July 2017 edition, after speaking to him at length on several occasions about his tenure with Lamborghini. He mentioned that I was the first person to speak directly to him about Lamborghini since he sold it to Chrysler 30 years ago. Unfortunately, due to editing constraints, there wasn't enough space for me to share all we discussed, including stories such as his working side-by-side with workers till 4am trying to get a Geneva showcar ready! All that and more upcoming @ another venue.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It’s clear even from reading this one page transcript that Mimran was a savvy businessman with a focused plan. Hard to doubt his success with Lamborghini.

joe sackey likes this.
  7. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Joe,

I'm glad, that Patrick Mimran finally spoke to someone...

Your analysis is nice addition but too "broacast news style".... and too self experienced of the situation, which is not global, believe me...

...and not from the "insiders", the real people who lived it from Inside factory...

like so many times as you know for sure, people's "ego" is to try to tell others that without them Nothing whould happen... we call this lack of charisma... to keep respect !

Your explanation is one interesting angle of the pyramid... allow the audience and yourself, to think they are multiple faces to the history which cannot be summarised by one person...

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Fwiw a certain V8 researcher had already made contact with him about the several Jalpas used by various members of the family...

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #84 joe sackey, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    I actually spoke to two very well-known ranking factory "insiders" of the Mimran era, real people who lived it from inside the factory, and their sentiments about multiple things matched Patrick's.

Magazine publications do tend to have a broadcast news style, but all is good so far as the piece is genuine, the essence remains the same.

Bear in mind also, the piece is Patrick's own view about his company, and whilst he made the decisions he did seemingly with no regrets, I feel sure he understands that others will feel free to view or interpret things differently. That said, I got the impression that he's not one to lose any sleep over this one way or the other.

Patrick says he's never discussed Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA as a company with intent to allow a publication, since he sold it to Chrysler 30 years ago. Doubtless, he's spoken to people about individual cars before I spoke to him, but this is the first published piece post-1987 on his feelings about his tenure @ Lamborghini by the man himself. I'm proud to have made it happen because it took a little convincing, this is not a man who wants or needs to seek the limelight...

10. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    You share my point , it is Patrick's own view and presentation of facts, which differ from other people...
    ...trust me also on the fact I interviewed several "insiders", either at the top or direct assistants !

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    I’m sure that article won’t hurt you as a salesman either Joe.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Patrick’s view is matter-of-fact and underscored by the statistics of his tenure, as opposed to being based on personal feelings or any concern for his popularity. He could care less about the latter, let me assure you, he was there as CEO in the capacity of a businessman to rescue Lamborghini and revitalize the company.

His view, which I obviously agree with, is that he purchased a bankrupt company at poor economic time in 1981 and took a big risk (everybody told him he was nuts paying $3m for the company’s debts at that time). Within 6 years, he took the Countach to the 5-liter car it was intended to be, and he added viable Jalpa & LM002 lines. He encouraged bespoke facilitation and developed Lamborghini Motori Marini, taking Lamborghini to World Championship status in offshore powerboat racing. From a PR standpoint, Lamborghini’s presence in F1 with the pace cars and later in WC offshore racing heightened its profile amongst sporting enthusiasts everywhere. He travelled the world tirelessly promoting Lamborghini, and more importantly, establishing a viable commercial distribution network, ensuring that the important USA, Middle East and Far East markets were catered to.

In summation, his view is simply that he purchased a bankrupt company assembling FIATS to keep the lights on for $3m, and sold an Internationally-desirable, fully-functioning, profitable sports car factory with 3 lines for $30m. The aforementioned are all indisputable measurable facts, and his view is simply based on a review of the facts.

If you get to know Patrick, you will soon learn he is not a particularly sentimental man, unfazed by what others might think, and this is underscored by his decision to also sell his entire collection of cars and move on to other things in life. This reclusive man spends little time looking in the rear-view mirror, and I consider getting him to go on the record in an International magazine publication to be a small coup.

Along the way whilst Mimran accomplished what he did, if a factory insider wasn’t happy or saw things differently, that doesn’t change what was accomplished. That said, one of the two well-known factory insiders I spoke to is on the record explicitly stating that PM was “the best boss” he had - not that this has any bearing on the essence of what PM factually accomplished with Lamborghini.

Indeed I am a salesman amongst other things, so I’d be remiss to not bear in mind what compliments my endeavors, for example, the publication of books has helped immensely, magazine articles do also, so I can only take your comment as a compliment.

mt_jt likes this.
  13. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Pretty much hard facts, also after reading Toninos book ,the Italian unions and the likes ,did not exactly make it easy to run a factory like Lamborghini,and as we all know beeing in bussiness , your employees always know better, probably a few popping out of the woodworks with their big mouth,in the aftermath of Mimrans adventure . Long story short, he was gold to Lamborghini. The fact he also was able to make a few bucks,speaks volumes.

joe sackey likes this.
  14. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #89 Olivier NAMECHE, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    I very much appreciate this very romantic vision of presenting the management of PM ... However, this presentation is outdated and simplistic. It is too easy to summarize and conclude in a few lines that a previous mismanagement was only the result of international crises, 1970s and repeated in the 90s ... suggesting that only PM's exemplary management could make miracles and bouncing Lamborghini factory back in the 80s ... those years were hardly worried by international troubles, but were prosperous years, which allowed among many many others... a certain Lee Iacocca - Chrysler to become so powerful that he could buy Lamborghini...

On April 23, 1987, Chrysler Corporation purchased Nuova Automobili F. Lamborghini, Lee Iacocca left Chrysler in 1992 and in 1994, Chrysler sold Lamborghini to Indonesian investors; over the course of seven years, owning Lamborghini was estimated to have cost Chrysler $60 million... what kind of foundation isn't that ? I don't remember to have read or heard that Mimran Group has invested so much money in the italian company...

I can also understand the inspiration that some people embody, represent, and therefore the partisan spirit that Joe concedes to PM. Nevertheless, history is not just about partisans, there are critics, and then there is a neutrality to adopt as to some facts.

I do not have the vocation to give the floor to the detractors, by cons here is a neutral point of view, only one, and then let's go back to the thread devolved to Ferruccio Lamborghini ...

Patrick Mimran was in 1980 a 24-year-old jet setter, heir to a great fortune with his two brothers Jean-Claude and Robert. PM shared his time from Monaco to Paris via Switzerland. He was not interested in getting involved in the management of the Mimran leading sugar group in Senegal. Very concerned about the future of his younger brother, Jean-Claude Mimran, 35 years old in 1980, already headed the family group since the death of their father in 1975. Jean-Claude proposed to Patrick to acquire Lamborghini to "occupy" him, considering Patrick's interest of the time (since gone) to Lamborghini exotic cars. Initially, yes some motivation was palpable, but held by Top Managers. After a year, his presence became more rare, giving free rein to these Top managers who made all the orientations and decisions, just ratified for the form by Jean-Claude and Patrick... because PM was not the only one to decide... his older brother has always kept the reindeer... The Top managers brought new ideas to developp, nothing was suggested by PM, as it is clear for the older employees who are able to compare Ferruccio's leadership to PM... It is also because PM no longer had any motivation to own & to lead the Lamborghini brand that Jean-Claude decided to sell it to Chrysler, but that's another story!

15. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  16. Ellagirl

Ellagirl F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Nils johnsen
    Just to clearify, absolutely no intention to compare Mimrans leadership to Ferruccio,s, He was The man,who started and executed an amazing part of automotive history,my hero,make no mistake about it. The 80s came and he was out of Lamborghini, along came Mimran with Much needed cash and willing to listen to ideas, wich imo gave the brand as a bussines,a new lease on life.

17. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I don't make mistake, we have the same hero...

We agree, PM was listening to ideas...

18. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #94 joe sackey, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    FWIW, Mimran's view of his tenure is as already stated, is based on a review of the facts, without pretense or opinion, as is the the review of what happened with Chrsler & Megatech, as such, a reporting on same is not at all outdated or simplistic, its simply to-the-point.

The fact that Chrysler spent $60m on Lamborghini and did not enjoy the same level of upside profit upon the sale of the works was entirely up to them and their management decisions, and, more importantly, has no bearing on the Mimran era. If anything, it shows how successful Mimran was.

A couple of corrections to the
    outdated yet apparently still often-parroted version of the Mimran story, Patrick was CEO of Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA and Jean-Claude had zero influence or involvement in the company, and no participation in the sale of the company, this much has been confirmed by Mimran.

There was no concern about Patrick by Jean-Claude, that notion is incorrect, often suggested by people who have little knowledge about Patrick, the same people who dismissed him as a young jet-setter, just because of his wealth. Patrick had developed a serious interest in cars, amassing a serious Ferrari collection, tried to buy a Countach circa 1980, and the rest, as they say, is history. His involvement in Lamborghini was a natural thing, entirely his own making, and was not instigated his brother, as is often erroneously claimed by some people, none of which have actually checked in with the Mimrans.

The reason Patrick was not always at Sant Agata was simply because h
    e travelled the world constantly, promoting Lamborghini, and establishing a viable commercial distribution network for the USA, Europe, Middle East and Far East. Having his own man Emile Novaro to keep an eye on things whilst he was gone, was key. FWIW, the latter's management was so successful that Chrysler kept him on.

As regards initiative and ideas, Patrick made it clear that his job number one was to get the
    Countach to the 5-liter car it was intended to be, and he was the one who spearheaded the initiative to have a smaller V8 car alongside the Countach. He encouraged bespoke facilitation, and the idea to develop Lamborghini Motori Marini was entirely his. To say he simply listed to Italian management's ideas is not what happened, even though some might like to portray it that way to minimize his success and fulfill their own agendas. Put it this way, as any successful businessman knows, you don't accomplish the results Patrick did by being passive and simply responding to other people's ideas.

Interestingly, one of the reasons Patrick was reluctant to be quoted by the press when I contacted him, is exactly what is going on here in this thread - food for thought. Yet still, I'm glad we got in touch and my role as a messenger of reality is one I am happy to continue to facilitate. Clearly, he saw the benefit in correcting some erroneous notions about his tenure, that's why he agreed to let me share his real story.

By the way, if you are ever going to publish an objective book, for the sake of a complete, balanced & fair perspective, you should also interview Patrick Mimran himself.

Lastly, apologies to for taking the Ferruccio thread off-topic, but, we can thank you for that with your post where you mistakenly asserted that there had not been 3 lines since the Rosetti/Leimer days
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145689999/ and Raymond had to come on and correct you https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145690005/ thus ushering in the topic of Patrick Mimran!

With that said, everyone (Patrick included!) agrees that Ferruccio is the original hero for starting the dream https://www.instagram.com/p/BbVsJQoHmQR/?taken-by=joesackeyclassics

20. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Funny that you think you have to write/to justify yourself in order to continue to promote your partisan spirit conceded to Patrick Mimran... like PM comments made to me by some readers, the reason sounds obvious for many, since you own Patrick's exCountach QV...

So, yes, partisan is the appropriate definition... I don't even try to imagine what it would be if by chance you would become the next owner of Ferruccio's personnal Countach or Miura SV....

I advise you to open a new thread for Patrick Mimran, it will probably be more interesting than to intox irrespectfully Ferruccio's one !

QUOTE="joe sackey, post: 145695134, member: 34170"] By the way, if you are ever going to publish an objective book, for the sake of a complete, balanced & fair perspective, you should also interview Patrick Mimran himself. [/QUOTE]

Well, I still have the time to continue to write it before to publish it, are you in that hurry to read it ?

One thing for sure, I don't follow your footsteps in terms of objectivity... don't teach others... this is typical "free" sentence you like to write, Joe, don't you worth more than that ? it is pityfull after all these years ?!?

That said, Patrick Mimran didn't accept my invitation for an interview... but I did ask... where so many others (107 people so far) have accepted to be interviewed... all depends of the reverence conceded to get an interview, as I don't lick boot (pure French translation), or in other words, I don't worship idols...

Jota 5084 and Boomhauer like this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You are entirely correct in your suggestion that owning Patrick's Countach is the basis of my contacting him and subsequently sharing his story, I would have thought that was obvious, it was the natural thing to do for me, and I think others (yourself included) would have done the same were they in my fortunate position.

I consider it a privilege that Patrick not only responded to my contact and took the time to have multiple conversations with me from both Geneva and New York, but also agreed to allow me to publish his story in his own words. That was really something, because, for example, he did not accept your invitation, which underscores my representation of him as a reclusive & private person who does not seek the limelight. It's unfortunate that he decided not to speak to you, because, it would have been good for another person to corroborate what he shared with me, but, I got the impression that what he shared with me was probably going to be an exclusive. A year ago you indicated that people you have spoken to reviewed him favorably https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144572411/ which doesn't surprise me.

I should say, my ownership of the Mimran Downdraft is not the only reason I contacted Patrick, I have always been fascinated by the men behind the machines, and I've contacted people whose cars I do not own or ever plan to, such as Walter Wolf, and others besides.

As regards your proposed book, I confess, I cannot wait because you have been talking about publishing this book for many years, thus building up our expectations, so naturally, I am excited to see it. I commend you for your not inconsiderable efforts.

One thing you may consider noting in your book is that Mimran took the factory from a production of @ 50 cars a year to @ 440 cars a year, @ 9 x production in 6 short years as by 1987 production was roughly @ 220 Countachs, 65 Jalpas and 155 LM002s. Given that the translated invoicing numbers for each of those cars respectively was @ $127,000, $65,000 and $110,000, he had built the concern into a nice little cottage industry.

As an aside, I should mention that even though escrow closed for Mimran's acquisition of Lamborghini on May the 23rd 1981 for 3,850,000,000 Lire (@ $3 million) after a probationary period originally intended to be 6 months under the auspices of Alessandro Artese, Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA took over on September the 1st 1980 (see below).

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #97 joe sackey, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    One last comment, here below is the scene that Patrick observed in 1980 just pre-bankruptcy, rows of FIAT 127s, a dismal sight to be sure.

Back to Ferruccio.

23. Thanks for these numbers, very interesting especially for the LM. The overall production number of the LM was just about 300, this means that more than half of it was produced in one single year.

24. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Joe,
    Thank you for your clarification.

My approach for my book has not changed for a year or more... neutrality... people's opinion at all levels of the factory... yes I agree it is unfortunate that he didn't accept my invitation !

For the ones owning the factory books & the others from friend Stefano Pasini, they are few tables representing producion figures year by year, and for the chronology of the events, I reach you, as I'm very well documented since 1963 !

Ferruccio was feeding the thought to purchase his company back... his mistake was to underestimate the second party, the Mimran Group !

It all started when there was a phone call from Ubaldo Sgarzi stating on what was happening at Sant'Agata Bolognese in 1980... and the possibility to get it back... that was just the right time for Ferruccio, as his vineyard was now running by itself and he had more time for a new target !

Meeting was fixed at Bologna with Ferruccio, Ubaldo Sgarzi and Paolo Stanzani...

25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    And the rest, as they say, is history.