FF LIFT PUMP LEAKING | FerrariChat

FF LIFT PUMP LEAKING

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by turbosonoma, May 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbosonoma

turbosonoma Karting

Sep 17, 2010
    White rock
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I noticed a puddle under my car so went to investigate and found it is the lift pump in the back. The lift system works fine with no errors, I guess because it isn't out of fluid yet. it seems to be a common occurrence on these old cars with the us made pump. But has anybody actually looked into fixing the leak? I prefer to fix things and not waste money and since its functioning just find it should be possible to fix the leak?
    And also, I noticed the belly pan of the car, on one side it was mounted under the rocker panel and the other side was on top of the rocker panel (they share the same bolts). Does anybody know for certain which way around it is supposed to be? it seems to fit fine both ways but nice for it to be correct.

Thanks! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sonicsound likes this.
  2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The original FF lift pump were made by American manufacturer Delphi. They had design flaws that caused them to leak. Ferrari re-sourced the lift pump from Marelli. You will need a new pump, bracket/adapter kit and wiring harness adapter. It is not cheap, but it fixes the problem.

3. turbosonoma

turbosonoma Karting

Sep 17, 2010
    White rock
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I understand that is how Ferrari would fix things. But I'm trying to see if anybody has fixed/resealed the existing pump. As a lot of the times a small leak can be fixed with a bit of time and effort. And 5k saved in the bank sure goes a lot further in the long run than another 5k in these depreciating assets!

otakki and Makuono like this.
  4. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Since you have to replace yours anyways, maybe see if it’s possible to take it apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. turbosonoma

turbosonoma Karting

Sep 17, 2010
    White rock
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Yes that's what I was planning, however I thought it would be worth a post to see if anybody actually knows where the leak comes from and has fixed it accordingly.

6. turbosonoma

turbosonoma Karting

Sep 17, 2010
    White rock
    Full Name:
    Brad
    in case anybody cares for now or the future, I discovered the leak and now must just fix.
    With the under belly panel off and a mostly complete $30 toolkit it took exactly less than the amount of time for take out indian food to get delivered to remove and inspect the pump and discover that the ****ty o ring seal that goes between the fluid reservoir and the rest of the assembly had moved a bit letting the reservoir leak, since it sits horizontally. I'm guessing if the seal was a fraction of a few mm wider then the seal wouldn't have the sideways flex/movement/weakness to give out sideways. I think some cleaning up and some sort of gasket/seal adhesive will keep everything in place just fine.
    I'm astounded that this is reportedly a $11,000 fix.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

iloveferrari, My 1st, Bundy and 7 others like this.
  7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Well, if this is indeed a fix, it will be a great relief to all FF owners with suspension lift. Thank you for documenting it and please keep us posted.

8. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Good move, that is just the sort of discovery that warms all our hearts............if it works. Good luck.

9. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I can’t tel from the pics what seal is leaking. Can you post a pic of the entire pump and a closeup of the seal

10. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Also what kind of fluid is used to refill the system?

11. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    You are completely right. Most problems on these cars are easily fixed. Unfortunately, we owners don't assess and question the repair procedures.

12. turbosonoma

turbosonoma Karting

Sep 17, 2010
    White rock
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Is that a new appropriate sized gasket?

Gosh, I hope I'm as handy as you.

14. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    I wonder if you can just use an o ring that size to reseal it

What kind of fluid is used?

15. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Based on the red colour I would say it was transmission fluid.

16. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Thanks for the post, if it does happen I'll be ready!

17. turbosonoma

turbosonoma Karting

Sep 17, 2010
    White rock
    Full Name:
    Brad
    its not an o ring, its a square ring. very hard to find the EXACT size, short of getting one custom made, which is only like $50 and a week away. im to impatient so i got an off the shelf part which is darn close. atleast if it starts dripping again ill have the original one out and can get one made. I cant remeber what the exact fluid is as the manual doesnt make it very clear, but yeah its very transmission fluid like.
    Each shock has a bleeder on it so i cant imagine its overly complicated to bleed the air out of the system while running the pump and cracking the bleeders. Time will tell!

of2worlds likes this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very interesting, hope you will share your progress with the leak issues!

19. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    If you’re having the seal made can you make a few more. I’m sure some of us on this board would want one.

otakki likes this.
  20. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The recommended fluid is Shell Donax TX or Spirax S4 ATF, which are both ATF. I would just use a good quality synthetic ATF ( which is what the Spirax S4 is).
    Good for you on finding the cause of the leak. I hope that your simple o-ring change does the trick.
    In order to bleed the system, Ferrari has you cycle the pump using the DEIS tester. You are going to have to make a pigtail adapter harness to run the pump manually if you want to bleed the system without using the factory tester.

andyrichter likes this.
  21. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Can you come over and mow my lawn?

22. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    hahaha, just messing with you. Good job on that repair, yes, the alternative is North of $11K, as it means upgrading your pump to the newer one, which means entirely new pump, different brackets and software updates and labor of course.

23. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    My 2012 FF lift pump failed and Ferrari of Washington told me it was not repairable. They charged me about $9k to replace the lift, and I later discovered that they replaced it with the 2012 NOS bad-design lift in spite of the fact that there was a new Ferrari-designed unit that addressed the problem. They now tell me that Ferrari forces them to use the original NOS units until they sell out. I was told ‘at least you have a two-year warranty on the lift’. It will certainly fail exactly one month after the warranty expires. If you do have Ferrari replace your lift make sure they get you the newer ‘fixed’ design.

I hope the poster’s solution works and lasts for a reasonable time. For those of us who need a lift, this is huge.

24. MedinaCustomClassics

Dec 7, 2006
    Medina, Washington
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    When did your lift fail Cola, recently or a while back. I did hear that for a while, Ferrari was directing the dealers to just replace the pump with the old style pump again, but at some point that recommendation changed.

25. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    That's pretty outrageous as the cost of the NOS pump is €2,300 from Scuderia car parts. The cost to fix the pump issue is so high because of the new brackets, wiring, software and labour that a conversion to the new pump entails. If all they did was drop in a NOS pump in replacement for your old one, new wiring, brackets, software (and all the labour that entails) would have been unnecessary - so the $9000 for a new pump looks pretty steep (bordering on scandalous).