Fiat 1200 Pininfarina Coupe 2 Seater | FerrariChat

Fiat 1200 Pininfarina Coupe 2 Seater

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by smerhej2, Jun 30, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smerhej2

smerhej2 Rookie

Jun 30, 2022
    Full Name:
    Shaheen Merhej
    Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while - this forum always has such great discussions, and seems to draw people who know their stuff - but only just joined the forum because I've been researching the Fiat 1200 Pininfarina Coupe. This car is different from the (also Pininfarina-designed) 1100 TV coupe, and has a unique design that apes the contemporary 250 PF coupe and other more reserved GT designs of the period.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As far as I can tell, four examples of the two seat coupe still exist (with a possible fifth). There are two fully restored cars in Italy (one black w/ silver roof, one cream w/ copper roof, pictured above); one long-term project that was previously in the US and was last seen in Australia (which I learned about on the forum here); one unrestored car still in the US; and a project in Italy that I have only heard tell of, but can't find photo evidence for. There are at least 10 four seat coupes still out there, and likely more, as they were supposedly built in greater numbers (as many as 4 4-seaters for every 2 seater). The majority of this short run seem to have gone to Sweden and Germany, judging by known survivor cars.

I'm gathering research on these cars, and would appreciate any help I could get! The forum was recommended to me because the Ferrari guys typically have good resources on Pininfarina-produced stuff, and with the lack of accessible info out there (and the difficulty in getting any info from Pininfarina) every little bit helps!

In looking through old posts here, I found a thread on the Fiat Gran Luce sedan that got derailed and went into a discussion on these cars, with a lot of fruitful discussion by users Miltonian, Topolino500, PG1964, and Miura68. I'd really appreciate if they (or anyone else) have anything more to share on these cars, as I'm considering buying one. I've done probably about 10 hours of research to gather the information that I have now, but I don't have all that much to show for it.

I know about the four cars discussed earlier; that the cars were shown at the 1957 and possibly also 1958 Turin shows, as well as the 1958 Rome concours; and I have the information from the brochure on the car (in French), among some other odds and ends and about a dozen period pictures. Anything - production numbers, available colors, pictures, known cars, etc. - would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Send me your e-mail by PM so we'll make a chat.