News

Fiat 128 hotrods?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 9, 2004.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Global Moderator Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Dindu Nuffin
    Random thought:

How would you hotrod a Fiat 128/Yugo GVX?

I had a Yugo back in college and I think the car weighed a little more than a sixpack of Keystone. It was slow but surprisingly chuckable before it died in a traffic accident.

So, I'm thinking that a Fiat X1/9 1.3 or 1.5 motor and a bit of lowering (X1/9 struts) would make for a zippy little car, and it'll all bolt in.

Thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think the x1/9 has a 128 engine...althought the later ones were 1.5 w/5spd. I think they weight in at about 2000 lbs, so to make it fun, you'll need about 200 hp. The only way that is going to happen is with a turbo/supercharger. Also, since it's front wheel drive with mis-matched axle lengths and without traction control, you are limited to about 15 lbs/hp to avoid untold torque steer issues...which limits you to 133 hp....

Now if you go to an x1/9 and fit it with a 308 engine......I put a 425hp 500ci caddy engine in you years ago, but it didn't go willingly, there was just a touch or cutting involved :)

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Global Moderator Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Dindu Nuffin
    Err.

What I had in mind was a Yugo GVX with a Fiat X1/9 engine, tranny and struts.

Amazingly enough, I found one for sale last night, already converted with dual carbs on a 1.5 and a 5 speed. Only problem is that it's in Oregon.

Hmmm......

6. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Tillman,

There are plenty of very hot Hugos running around. You might want to post on http://www.mirafiori.com. There are several guys who race Hugos several.

Rodney

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    If you can find one:

Once available through the Abarth goodies/parts catalogue was part# 7028877, a Group 2 dry-sump, Kugelfisher fuel-injected, SOHC, 1500cc, 10500rpm engine that could be used in a Fiat Ritmo for racing purposes... 165hp, and 240Km/H top speed. Quite successful in the Giro D'Italia... Hehehe :)

Back in 1978, you could buy the complete car from Abarth for a cool $40000. :eek: