News

Filming At Speed - The Making Of The Movie Le Mans

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by spicedriver, Nov 5, 2018.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver Formula 3

Feb 1, 2011
  2. 375+

375+ F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Very worthwhile, precursor to Steve McQueen: The Man & le Mans. Thanks for posting.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This "Filming at Speed" looks like a rather sanitized made for TV version seen
    through the lenses of Chad McQueen.

"The Man and Le Mans" on the other hand is a not so flattering version of the
    episode and while Chad McQueen is also in it, there are also others whom don't
    portray McQueen in a favorable light.

BHW

375+ likes this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I really enjoyed The Man & le Mans watch it if you haven't seen it.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I got a directors cut DVD from Michael Keyser, probably watched it a dozen times or more.

"The Man & Le Mans" is more along the lines of the book "French Kiss of Death" which was
    a true accounting of the making of "Le Mans".

BHW

6. spicedriver

spicedriver Formula 3

Feb 1, 2011
    The Man & Le Mans

7. spicedriver

spicedriver Formula 3

Feb 1, 2011
    Andretti for one was very critical of McQueen's driving abilities. He was probably a little jealous of the attention. If the movie does have a cult following as stated, count me in. Rush was good too. I didn't really like Grand Prix.

8. 375+

375+ F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Grand Prix captured a moment in time, it accurately portrayed the F1 scene of the mid-1960's. If I recall Peter Revson's lap times were significantly faster than McQueen's at Sebring. Revvie was a professional near the top of his game and McQueen was a very occasional road racer. To be fair Steve raced with his ankle in a cast from a dirt bike accident.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There was a lot of stick between McQueen, John Frankenheimer and James Garner as McQueen was
    in position to be cast in Garner's role and be a part of the production team. They go into this a bit in "The
    Man and Le Mans" and McQueen called "Grand Prix" an "example of a director playing with himself in
    public" (SIC).

It can't be overlooked though that Garner was also into racing, more as a team owner of CanAm and
    sports car teams in the late 60s and early 70s. He was regularly seen at Sebring during this era as
    well. There was some conjecture that the rift between McQueen and Garner started on the set
    of "The Great Escape".

But, as McQueen's first wife Neile Adams states in the movie, he was obsessed with creating an
    empire so he and partners started Solar Productions with "Le Mans" setting the tone for the company's future. Unfortunately, the production was a train wreck with no script and ultimately McQueen relinquished control of the production as budgets and time went way past projections.

Keyser's "French Kiss of Death" delves much further into McQueen's exploits during the production.
    It's a good read and Keyser, who's still around, likes to say "I know where all the skeletons are buried".

BHW