Finally... a 612 | FerrariChat

Finally... a 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by Diny, Dec 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Not my first post on this forum, but my first one with of a 612 in the garage.

It is a 2005 model in Grigio Silverstone with just over 19,000 miles. I got extremely lucky in that this car was still available when I sold another fun car, so the wait for a 612 was rather short. Got it from a fellow fchatter (thanks, Scott!). I am getting an excitement very similar to when I first got a BMW E39 M5. I had even done some modifications to the M5 after seeing bits of the 612 (pedals and passenger kick plate). I remember thinking that the only thing that could replace it was a 612 and, 11 years later, it has.

The car is in excellent overall condition, and the minor things that it needs are enough to keep me busy during winter (hood and trunk shocks, looking into removing a K40 system, hardwiring a radar detector by the rearview mirror, and fabricating some custom pieces for the interior.

I've had the car a week and I've already done the following:

• Wash and detail (no paint correction yet, will wait for spring for that)
    • Fabricated titanium knobs for the Becker unit (unsure about replacing unit later or what's even compatible for single-din)
    • Removed the airbag warning from the sun visors (love the cleaner look)
    • Repainted both keys (just waiting for new batteries to arrive)
    • Removed an old XM radio module
    • Removed an old bluetooth phone system

I have not taken the car to my usual photography spots (and I won't until the weather is nicer), so here are just a few images that I took in the garage (I'm refinishing the gas pedal so no interior shots at the moment).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy, brogenville, F3RN4ND0 and 5 others like this.
  2. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Congrats - you will love the 612!

3. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    What a superb way to end the year! I am sure you couldn’t be more excited for the good weather to return. That “612” and “Ferrari” feeling just won’t go away so you better get used to that tingle down the back of your spine every time you open the garage!

4. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    599_GTO likes this.
  5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Congrats!

Did Scott post it here during sale? Is there a link? I love looking at the pics. The 612 will never get old imo.

Unfortunately though it will wear, and my trunk shocks need replacing too.

Enjoy :)

6. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Thanks! He posted it here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/2005-ferrari-612-scaglietti.579438/

After I agreed on a price and got a pre purchase inspection done, I flew down to Florida for a few hours to see the car in person and drive it. It was my first time driving a Ferrari, too. Scott was very accommodating and a fellow car-enthusiast.

I'm going to look into getting non-factory support lifts for the hood and trunk. The hood already smacked me on the head once and the trunk tried to eat my hand.

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I changed out all the struts on my 599. Not too hard or expensive. I purchased them from Eurospares. Here is a link for struts on the 612

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/612-scaglietti/bodywork-lighting/engine-bonnet-36781

Diny likes this.
  8. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Wishing you many wonderful miles of driving!

9. Shiva_Austria

Shiva_Austria Karting

Oct 7, 2013
    Austria
    Congrats - i have the same color!
    Good choice!
    Best regards from Austria