Fire Extinguisher in 348 / 355? | FerrariChat

Fire Extinguisher in 348 / 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Element, Dec 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    I did a search but only found very old threads. I was wondering what the popular mounts and locations are in 348's and 355's for your fire extinguisher. Also how many of you even bother with a fire extinguisher in the first place? I know a lot of people know they should have one but do not bother because of how big and bulky they are. Please post your solutions as I would be very interested to see them.

We make a very effective fire extinguisher called 'Element' that we think is perfect for Ferrari owners. It fits in your door pocket, makes no mess, and never expires. Feel free to check it out at www.elementfire.com

2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Thought it would be a pain of a job, finding a suitable place, drilling holes to mount the brackets etc....
    Turned out to be dead easy, i didn't even use the brackets, instead used the seat adjustment bar on the passenger seat, the seat stays in one position anyway.
    Just put a sleeve of rubber tubing along the seat adjustment bar, slipped the metal straps around the bar and locked in place. absolutely rock solid and very tight, so no fear of it coming lose.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Element and Yassa like this.
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My wife hated that style but if your running solo a decent solution. I will be mounting mine vertically beside drivers seat and door.

4. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Upload one of your videos they actually seem pretty good but I would like a better video of the aftermath. I understand there is no residue but the video I watched did not show it as good as I would like.

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Mounted on the rear shelf behind passenger with lines into the engine bay at the fuel regulators.
    Second behind drivers thats a detachable handheld.
    I borrow nascar safety stuff

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A fire extinguisher has always been on my mind and I am reluctant to drill into the car. I have been envisioning a sort of 'go bag' to take with me from car to car with various supplies- namely an extinguisher. I have to say this Element extinguisher is certainly intriguing. VERY trick! I keep trying to find the catch. Mind blown.

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I like the look of them, but to be honest I cant see the point of them in the cabin of a road car.

At what point are you going to be using it? If the car catches fire, you are not going to be sat in your seat trying to get a fire extinguisher, your are going to be getting out of the car. If you are out of the car and its on fire, your not going to be trying to get back in the car to get a fire extinguisher, that's why you have insurance. If your really unlucky and trapped in the car with it on fire, a fire extinguisher isn't going to help much, given the most likely source of any fire, that being the fuel system, which you wouldn't be able to access from the cabin with an extinguisher.

If you want an effective fire extinguisher in your car, the only solution that is going to provide any real mitigation against the consequence of a fire is a system that is targeted at the most likely source, and that's the fuel system, thus you are going to want a fixed fire system in the engine bay.

Having sais all that if I ever speced a new car, I'd probably include one as I think they look cool!

MAD828 and johnk... like this.
  8. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Thanks for the photos and replies so far. As for the Element extinguisher just a bit of background. The technology we are using is not new and was developed for the space program in fixed installations where it is necessary to put a fire out without depleting the surrounding oxygen. This is the first hand-held application of this technology and it has been sold by the millions in other parts of the world over the last decade. We acquired the rights for North and South America and are introducing it to the western hemisphere. On a more personal note we have been long time F-chatters (since 2001) and wanted to show this product here to car guys before really going mass market with it.

Regarding a fire in your car, it is true that in most instances it will be a fuel fire secondly is an electrical fire. To be effective a hand held extinguisher (plumbed in fire systems are another topic) needs to be quickly accessible which means it has to be in the drivers compartment within easy reach. Forget about the front trunk because by the time you get to it half the car is up in flames and nothing short of a fire truck will help you. It is very rare to have a big fire off the bat. In almost all instances fires begin small but spread fast so having something that can stop it early at easy reach is the difference between a small repair and a total loss.

Element is really cool because it can be placed in your door pocket with no bracket or holes, by lasting 50 seconds you get a lot of time to fight a fire, and (because it makes no mess) damage is minimized and repairs are easier to make. Combine that with no expiration and no need for service and you can see why we are enthusiastic about it. This holiday season we have sold a ton of them as gifts and interestingly very very few people buy just one. F-Chatters are welcome to a special discount and only need to message me (called 'conversations' in the new format) for a discount code. I'm also happy to answer any questions so fire (no pun intended) away.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I disagree because when you shut it off in my experience you can easily put out a fire in the engine compartment of any vehicle.
    If you wait so long that you can not then you are not paying attention in my opinion.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have put out 2 fires easily with minimal damage. Under 1000 bucks

11. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Agreed. Most fires can be put out fairly quickly before they really get out of hand. Fire spreads fast so the faster you can get on it the better and it is necessary to have something beyond a full bladder:D to tackle a blaze.

12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I put out a fire last week. Driving along the road and saw a Toyota just starting to go up in flames. Pulled over. The owner had been put on hold with 911 for several minutes already. I used my 2.5 lb halotron and had the fire out in about 10 seconds. Fire department showed up about 5 minutes later. By that point the car would have been gone.

Only pisser was the halotron is $150 and the car owner had no insurance. One of these Elements is half the price.

Schatten likes this.
  13. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just ordered one of these.

14. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    Peter,
    Same thing happened to me here in Portland. I saved a Subaru that was having an electrical shorting issue and started to burn as I drove by. Fire was out in 5-10 seconds. The 16 year old girl was freaking out/panicked, and on the cell to 911. She was very grateful, and I know that I gained some positive karma points.
    I will be getting a couple more of these.

mshobe likes this.
  15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You would think they would offer to pay for the extinguisher

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Putting fires out is kinda fun as long as know one is in danger.
    Every spring I pick a new employee to put out a staged fire in our shop yard during a safety meeting.

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Are these good for heavy equipment
    Dozers
    Excavators
    Rock trucks
    Graders
    Etc
    Reason I ask is I spend a lot on rcertification each year. If these do not have a shelf life then it may be cheaper after a few years

18. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    We cover this on our website in the FAQ section but to re-cap Element at present cannot be used as a substitute for mandated fire extinguishers. We can only sell it as a supplement and many businesses are choosing to do this for the convenience of the product rather than to save money on re-certification.

19. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    On the bright side you can never do wrong doing right. Good for you for helping your fellow motorist.

20. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Received mine a few days ago. I just noticed its made in Italy. Almost OEM for a Ferrari.

Element likes this.
  21. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    I have an extinguisher situated between the passenger seat and the sill. It fits perfectly there and doesn't take up any footwell or passenger space. Cheap insurance.

22. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Indeed very Italian! Element was engineered and manufactured in northern Italy not too far from Ferrari themselves and actually incredibly close to Pininfarina.

23. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Shortly after I got my 328, I experienced an engine bank shutdown, accompanied by the 1-4 SLOWDOWN light. By the time I'd stopped, a considerable amount of unburnt fuel had spewed into the hot catalytic converter and ignited, resulting in flames coming from my exhaust. A quick spritz from the fire extinguisher kept the back of my car from being charred - all I got was a bit of soot on the black mesh that surrounds the exhaust tips.

24. seabass23

seabass23 Karting

Nov 6, 2016
    St Albert, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Has anyone bought an Element and found a clever location/method to install it in a 348?

I've purchased one along with the seat bracket. The seat bracket is definitely NOT compatible with my 348 (Canadian spec).

25. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I have used a fire extinguisher twice at home. Once in my shop when a parts washer went up in flames with my hands in the tank. Pump shorted and I jiggled it to try and get it back working. Very scary and without the fire extinguisher my shop may have burned.

Second time was when my wife put the oven on self clean with a plastic spatula in the oven. My ten year old daughter pulled the extinguisher out shot it down the oven door vents.

I can say a few things about fires. Thank God no one was hurt and my family listened when I explained fire safety. The other thing....before you pull the handle make 100% certain you need to put the fire out, because it makes one hell of a mess! It took me an entire night to disassemble the oven, clean it and put it back together!!

For that reason alone these fire extinguishers may be worth it!