First f1 issue in the high mileage BAT Scud...got two questions for the experts! | FerrariChat

First f1 issue in the high mileage BAT Scud...got two questions for the experts!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Scottslaw, Aug 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Alright, need some advice from the f1 brain trust! That is the part of the car that is most intimidating/scary/unfamiliar, so I'm hoping some of you may know the answer to a few questions before I dig in further.

So I got a leak "somewhere" around the accumulator. Its not spewing everywhere, but its definitely getting worse, in the sense that for the first time yesterday I saw atf fluid on the ground near the diffuser (and I've confirmed its not just overfilled atf puking out the overflow tube). For the record, there are no lights, codes, or missed shifts. Car has never showed any ill shifting behavior whatsoever. Everything works as it should...but if I don't address the leak soon that may change. Priming time is also always low at just about 4 seconds when I open the door. Actuator/pump/accumulator were changed out under prior ownership at Ferrari Dealership. New battery (always tended) and fresh relay.

So last night I removed the upper panels, removed the fender liners, cleaned everything up, tightened up every otiker clamp and banjo bolt nut I could get a socket/wrench on (they were all "gorilla tight") then re-installed the tire and went on a spirited drive. Returned home, removed the tire and fender liner, and started trying to determine where the leak was originating. Hard to tell for sure because there were many areas with oil residue, but its unclear if there is just once source "up high" and it is saturating surfaces below. The base of the accumulator "bulb" is dry. So is the overfill tube and the reservoir cap. The "highest" location I can find with atf residue is up at the otiker clamp that secures the top of the rubber "F" shaped house that appears to be a return hose (part number 221129, which is the complete "pipe" assembly that this "f" house is connected to). In the picture below my screwdriver is pointing to the clamp that seems a bit moist, which is the "highest" spot in the area where I could detect any wetness.

Here are my initial questions:

1) If I remove and replace this hose, do I need to bleed the system after? It does not feel pressurized and if its just a return line can I get away with not bleeding?
    2) If I do need to bleed after replacing, what is the cheapest tool that can accomplish that task? I already have a good code reader but don't really feel like dropping 700 plus bucks on a launch mini pro (or way more on a Auto Ingenuity type tool I simply won't be using that much (hopefully).
    3) Are there any other "common" culprits in this area I should check that are known to spring leaks? I did a search and really did not find many threads about leaks in this area other than the normal "overflow tube" leaks or internal leaks. Seems odd to be leaking since the accumlator is new-ish and everything was tight.

Thanks all. I'll be sure to report back my findings!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Having resolved a couple leaks on my 08 F430, here’s my thoughts. Oetiker clamps and the hose they’ve been squeezing for 12+ years are known to leak. I had to replace a power steering hose for this reason.

Buying a Launch X431 Mini Pro is worth it for reading clutch wear, resetting PIS, clutch relearn, clutch bleed, clearing codes, etc. Since you’re a DIYer you need one.

If you replace the hose you’ll introduce air into the system. I had to replace the crush gaskets on one of my lower banjo bolts (at the actuator), which meant the loss of most of the fluid. I was able to bleed using the Launch and lower bleed port with no issues. Easy to do also.

Looking forward to your resolution.

3. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    That statement is correct and I also had to replace a power steering hose for this exact reason. It seemed slight but it was enough to drip down

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    My thoughts

After looking at the power body schematic again I can say that you will probably not need to bleed the system if you follow these steps
    The biggest concern letting too much come out of return hoses from reservoir
    Disconnect battery (turn cutoff switch ) / or remove fuse/relay for pump - i prefer the cutoff switch
    Add a certain amount of fluid to reservoir ( measure it) to give you a buffer
    Disconnect hoses and plug immediately not to have too much come out of reservoir - both sides hose and fitting
    Change clamps and reconnect
    Remove any extra fluid you put in minus what you think you lost ( maybe not much depending how good/fast you plug things)
    Replace relay/ turn switch on and let pump cycle ( open door etc)
    Do not start car or change any gears
    Turn / loosening bleed screw on power unit for 1 second - pump should start again .. do once again
    check level
    good to go

My side thoughts .. i still think the accumulator is the point of leakage only cause you just changed it ( did you check it / tighten it) - not seeing what you see it is very hard to say though
    Also ..instead of removing hose, why don't you cut existing clamp and put a worm gear clamp without removing hose ... if it works you can always do what I mentioned above to put original style on again

A good inexpensive tool ( I like the mini and have a few) is the thinkdiag .. I recommended it to someone on here and he loved it - search for thread
    Be careful which plan you are buying on amazon .. comes in all cars for 2 years .. one car , one reset etc for 1 year , etc
    Like the mini it has a 1 or 2 year subscription but starting point and renewal is much lower and for a one car
    That being said if you work on multiple cars that are newer and have things like battery modules that need reprogramming etc , electric hand brakes etc the mini is the way to go

All about how many times you will actually use it in 2 year period and for how many cars

Check it out on amazon and the threads after you search for keyword thinkdiag

ccalo likes this.
  5. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

You guys are awesome! Flash, great recommendation to try some worm gears first! Will report back tonight. Embarrassed I didn’t think to try that!!! And for the record, the accumulator was replaced a few years ago under prior ownership. So I have no idea the quality of the work. I will say that everything was very tight when I checked all the fittings. Thanks again all! Appreciate this community!

6. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Hopefully a worm clamp will work. It’s been my experience that the fluid at this point is leaching through the disintegrating hose ends and requires a hose replacement also. Looking at the price of that hose I’m rooting for the worm clamp!

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just get something like a Oetiker worm clamp that can be opened and won't rip your hose

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

8. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Thanks again guys. I've installed two worm drive clamps in the tight confines where the hose resides. The problem with using otiker clamps when the accumulator is in situ and all hooked up is that there is no way to access them with the appropriate tool since all the other hoses are in the way. I tried two different otiker clamp tools, different sizes of snips, and couldn't get anything in there to "close" the clamps any further. Will clean up the area again and give it a drive later tonight if the weather cooperates and report back!

AandSC and brookliner7 like this.
  9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    It’s difficult to see in the pics, but I think it’s the banjo fitting that is leaking. The banjo bolt ( the bolt with the drop of ATF on it ) has crush washers under it. If it was me, I’d try snugging up that bolt a little, then clean the area and keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  10. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Good eye. There is indeed atf on that bottom banjo bolt (and a few others as well), however, I'm (somewhat) certain its coming from higher up and collecting on various spots lower down. I tried to tighten all of those bolts and didn't get a single one to budge even though I was getting past my comfort zone given the amount of force I was applying. If I end up cracking open the system to replace that "f" hose I will definitely be removing every one of those banjo fittings and replacing all of the crush washers before I bleed. Thanks!

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I don't know if you caught what I mentioned above but replacing a f pipe doesn't mean you need a bleed if you follow the steps .. just want to make sure you saw what I wrote

12. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Definitely saw that Dominick. I appreciate that advice. I'm thinking I might as well try to do it the "right" way and purchase a tool that will bleed. My ocd is such that if I tried to capture/stop fluid "real fast" and then measure and replace, I'd go crazy. I'm that guy that goes through 3x the amount of brake fluid when I bleed my brakes because I keep thinking I'm seeing bubbles, and nearly go insane obsessing about it LOL! Going to see what happens with the worm clamps and go from there.

AandSC likes this.
  13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ok ..just trying stop any air getting into system cause even with a tool sometimes it can be a pain .. you have three circuits that need bleeding

My ocd is exactly why i gave you the extra steps of measuring etc ..you can skip those and just make sure you don't lose too much fluid by plugging the hose and nipple up while you get a new clamp in it. Then top off before energizing pump

You can try that method and if you mess up you are not any worst then doing it the way you want

My 2 cents...whatever you prefer ..just giving u options

14. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Ok, overdue update. I've 100% identified the location of the leak. It wasn't that f-hose, and it wasn't any lower junctions or unions or banjo bolts. I confirmed this via a rather unconventional method...I wrapped every single "junction" where fluid could leak with electrical tape...very tedious...then went for a drive, so I could check if any taped areas were wet on the inside. Nothing on the inside so I knew my leak was elsewhere, so started sleuthing some more and lo and behold I found the leak at the flare hard hydraulic line going from the pump to the accumulator, just behind the reservoir (see pic where my screwdriver is pointing). Part No. 218564.

Moved the reservoir out of the way, cleaned up the area, and put a wrench on it to see if it was loose. It wasn't, but tried torqueing it down a bit in hopes of getting a better seal. I figured if I screwed it up and made it worse I would be no worse off, and indeed I made it worse! Now its leaking (drip by drip) even when the car is off and gushes when the pump primes!

So, I'm going to order the line and hope I can get a good seal. Question: I think I know the answer, since this line is obviously under high pressure, I'm assuming I will have to bleed the system after replacing this pipe, correct?

Thanks all...almost to the end of this little journey!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

AandSC likes this.
  15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the fitting i think it might be a pipe with a compression olive, these can leak after years due to fretting. They will not pull up to stop the leak. It is possible that the hex fitting might need renewing as well as the olive can wear the matching face in the fitting.

16. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Mike, I think you are right. Unfortunately, I can't fight a separate part number for the hex fitting that the compression pipe fits into...so I'm going to have to take may chances. Perhaps a hydraulic shop could refinish the hex fitting to remove any imperfections. No other choice at this point other than to snug it up and see if it leaks.

Can anyone confirm if a bleed is required after removing this pipe?

17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  18. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Gracias! really appreciate everyone's input. Now to buy some parts!

19. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    TO limit the air follow the process I outlined in previous posts so you get most of the air out of power body before starting to bleed the three circuits

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If it doesn't stop leaking with just a little more pressure .. i would remove and look at compression flare ( that what it looks like to me) .. I would push it
    Flare fittings are very sensitive to not being lined up right .. you may just need to loosening it make sure it is aligned perfectly and retighten .. this is no different that a brake fitting or some plumbing in your home .. trust me on the alignment ( that is key)

If ring ( or what i believe mike is saying is a olive) compression .. same applies ..but I don't believe it is

21. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I actually tried that, as I know exactly what you mean (did that with a brake line once). I'll try again tonight and see what happens. nothing to lose that this point! Thanks again all.

flash32 likes this.
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    #22 mike32, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    If its an olive fitting then you can try cleaning with an electrical solvent- try some hydraulic sealant on the olive. We used to get leaks on the stainless hydraulic fittings on the high speed seacat ferries. The fitting were as tight as possible, so we put hydraulic sealant on the olive to stop the leak.
    Looking at the nut shape i would think it is an olive, flare nuts are not generally flat on the back
    On the diagram , is that item 2 pressure sensor ??

23. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'd open the pressure bypass to stop it leaking in the mean time. I'd advise against tightening further.

flash32 likes this.
  24. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

thanks for the tip. Agree, don’t feel like I should really force it further. May try to reseat but no additional pressure. New part on order.

mwstewart likes this.
  25. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Ok, I owe the board an update. So, tightening that little "pipe" that runs from the pump to the power unit actually made the leak much, much worse. So, mwstewart was right...you can try to re-seat, but any additional pressure is likely to just further deform the pipe's fitting and make things worse. After I tightened it down in a vain attempt to stop the leak, it would literally gush f1 fluid when the pump primed. But no biggie, the new pipe was on order. It took a month to get here from Italy, but I installed it a few nights ago, taking care not to wrench down too hard (moderately snug is fine).

Here is where things got interesting. I had emailed Serkan at GTE (the firm that rebuilds all the f1 actuators) in hopes that he might have the "nut" that the pipe screws into, just because I wasn't sure if the issue was with the pipe itself or the "nut" that receives the pipe. He told me it was unlikely that part had damage, but we got to talking about my issue and he said it might be possible that I wouldn't need to bleed the system. He told me to install the pipe, open the little pressure relief valve on the power unit, top off the reservoir, and then have someone open the door to force the pump to prime, and then shut the valve once fluid starts coming out. And then repeat a few more times. I also opened it back up a few times after the priming had stopped, and that caused priming to re-start. I probably did this "poor man's bleed" process about 6 times. After a while, fluid would come out right away once priming began. The idea was to hopefully evacuate the air that was left in the new pipe before it could get past the power unit and into the actuator.

Well, after two drives of 30 minutes each, using every gear at a variety of speeds and rpms, I can say that everything seems perfect and there are no lights, warnings, leaks, or other issues at all. In fact, the shifting seems better than ever, which makes sense because if I had a leak before, the pressure available for shifting was probably reduced a bit. I am very, very happy. It may just be placebo, but it sure feels like the shifting has never been so crisp. So, the moral of the story is that if you are messing with the power unit/accumulator/pump, it may not be totally necessary to bleed with a launch/Leonardo/other two-way diagnostic tool.

Thanks to all those for sharing your advice and tips, especially the every-helpful flash32, Mike32 and mwstewart.

vr4henry, armedferret, Qavion and 3 others like this.