First Post - New member - Questions on 246 Dino | FerrariChat

First Post - New member - Questions on 246 Dino

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Jacob246, Jun 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob246

Jacob246 Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter Jacobsen
    Hi

I purchased a 1974 Dino Ferrari in 1986 and also experienced a career change that has taken pretty much of my time since. Although I don’t feel that the car requires body work, I believe the care could use mechanical restoration and interior restoration.
    The Dino has bucket seats and age requires restoration.

can anyone recommend a good shop that those this type of restoration in Chicago and out lying area? Or, possibly another state?

thanking in advance for help

Walt

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Try Mcabe Auto Restorations in Mundelin. He has done many top quality Ferrari restorations over the years, even several Pebble Beach winners. For every complaint I hear 10 positives and have seen his work. It is very very good quality.

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    How about Motion Products in Neenah, Wisconsin? Yeah, that's starting at the top of the pylon, but they have vast experience and it would at least give you a point of reference. Also Pebble Beach winners and Cavallino Classic winners.

4. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Welcome and congratulations on 35 years of ownership of your Dino

Please share some of your experiences with the car

5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #5 JP365, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    +1 for Skip McCabe! 847-949-8340. He just color matched a 50 year old cromodora wheel for me and it is as close to a factory match as possible. Way above and beyond and very fair prices. Not cheap, but fair and honest. I’ve seen several cars he’s done and they are all spectacular. As for the mechanical aspects, it depends on how it was stored. It could be a straight forward reawakening or a rebuild. When was it last driven?

6. Jacob246

Jacob246 Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter Jacobsen
    Thank you so much for your post? I will give McCabe a call. Because the car has sat so long I believe it will need mechanical restoration. Car has had a great past and want to restore back to original factory.

7. Jacob246

Jacob246 Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter Jacobsen

Thanks for the post. Can’t remember. At least ten or fifteen years

8. Jacob246

Jacob246 Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter Jacobsen

It is fun to drive. Has had a great past was owned by Rod McArthur of Bradford Exchange who owned several Ferrari’s before passing.

9. Jacob246

Jacob246 Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter Jacobsen

10. Jacob246

Jacob246 Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter Jacobsen
    The seats are Daytona seats.

11. 48969

48969 Karting

Jun 27, 2020
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    J. Michael Collins
    European Auto on Lincoln Avenue in Chicago. Steve and Vic do amazing work.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Jacob246

Jacob246 Rookie

May 31, 2021
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter Jacobsen
    Has anyone heard of Autosprint in Chicago? I hear they do mechanical auto restoration.

13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I’ve had Giovanni do some things for my car, but if your car has been sitting for 10-15 years, you are probably looking at a full rebuild. Motorkraft in Indiana is a highly respected and well known second generation vintage Ferrari rebuilder. Larry Hajduk took over after his father John died circa 2017. Do an F-Chat search for testimonials.

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    John had the MotorKraft shop by O'hare in Bensenville, IL in the 1980's that I used to go by. He had a Ferrari 166MM in front one day that I was drooling on next to a 330GTC. Always had real exotic Ferrari engines in that place all the time. I think he rebuilt the Prince Leopold 375 plus motor, with the remaining restoration being done by Skip McCabe. If you have ever seen that black 375 you know it is a stunner perfectly restored. It did win at PB after the Californians eased up their judging bias a bit :)

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Continental also does good work on vintage Ferrari's. I know of one Dino 246 motor that was rebuilt by them that is owned by an F-chatter who also owns a real nice Mangusta.

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner