First time pulled over in the Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First time pulled over in the Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jimpo1, Dec 19, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think the armed coke dealers have all traded for Escalades! LOL

I don't think my taxi yellow Ferrari would be first choice for a stealth vehicle.

2. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Are the readers supposed to be grateful for this thumping brigade? Thanks, but no thanks. You write as if it is all matter-of-fact and very acceptable. It is NOT. Such people should never be granted the authority to pull you over, let alone have the power to end your life. They are as much a menace to society as the criminal element. In fact, they ARE a criminal element, hiding behind a badge and a gun. Truly disgusting. Why don't you do something about it?

3. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    And since when is it legal to pull someone over just because you want to check out their motor? Any recommendations on how to tell them (politely, of course, since they hold your life in their gloved hands) to fu@k off, without having to file a lawsuit?

I thought about shipping my F40 to the US and participating in the Players' Run or Gumball Rally and taking in some track events. But stories about the redneck element and gestapo-style police forces like this make me stay in Europe.

4. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I have to agree with Zack here. Our country is becoming a police state.
    1. Send these thumpers to east la where i see the cops fear to tread.
    2. A lot of cops in my area are corrupt and joined as the only way to stay in their middle class upbringing with no military service!
    3. Most people in most towns can tell you where the **** is going on drugs etc., how come these hero's don't do their thumping there. Or sit on the local crime boss's ass until he trips.
    4. Last time i turned on the tv the armed forces were stretched thin and needed all the quality manpower they could get, what a waste of training dollars.
    5. It will be a great day when cops carry and use non-lethal measures, taser, nets, spray glue, etc. Prime example- baltimore few years back when 2 officers shoot dead a kid with a knife at his side when many other methods would have worked.
    Court tv last week about off-duty black police major stopped by profiling deputy on the narco hiway in south florida.

To the public servant driving the ferrari instill some humility, respect, and decency in your trainees. If they want to act like criminals let them drop the badge and join the criminal element.
    Talk about standing this country's history and meaning on its head. What a dam disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    T

5. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    Well, got a story of my own....

Back in late '98 in North Carolina, I was driving from Raleigh to Greensboro on I40 around Chapel Hill area. Well, it was a 55 zone but the traffic flow was around 65. I was in a hurry for a meeting with my brother, so I gave it a little gas to clear out of the pack...I guess I was doing 80... Then all of a sudden I saw a black Crown Victoria (or the Chevy, don't remember) with no usual police light, poped up behind me and started flashing....gee..

Well, he was real nice..and it turned out that he went to Thailand during the Veit Nam war (I am Thai), so when he found out I was Thai, he started chatting about his pass experience..ha ha...anywey, he still gave me a ticket.

6 months later in court...I saw the judge giving a hard time on a few kids who were doing 75 in 35 zone and things like that...man...the judge was kicking their asses. However, when it was my turn he calmed down a bit and after he learned that I am Thai...he actually lower the speed for me from 83 to 72 in 65 zone...ha ha ha...he told me he just had a vacation in Thailand and love it...and he hoped I had a good stay in the US...ha ha. Well...I stayed in the US for 8 years, and got ticket every 18 months...strange but true, exactly 18 months every time.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Jim, you lucky SOB. Irving was one of the 3 tickets I had this spring all in about 6 months. All were in the 328 and all were on 114. None of them were going too much over. I think fastest was 15 over. Jim Schad claims I was going faster than the traffic around me, but all three tickets seemed like the cop was picking the red Ferrari out of the crowd.

No tickets in the Ferrari since then. I go 2-3 mph below the flow of traffic now. Poor baby is getting carbon build-up. :)

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Rob, rob... the law says you can't go over X mph... but they don't really restrict how fast from 0 to X! That's what blows the carbon out of there! ;)

8. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    I once was pulled over by the police in my 328.
    When I asked what I had done wrong the cop replied:"when we see a car like this we usually let it stop for a closer inspection", with a big grin on his face.
    Then he said to the other policeman that he knew a lot about Ferrari's and that I was driving a Testarossa. He even asked me: "this is a testarossa, right?" I said that he was right and I took off.
    What a dumbo!

Ton

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

I can tell you've never had one of those "display of accelleration" tickets written on you. I guarantee 0-60 in a short time will get the attention of the enemy...

10. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I usually outrun the cops...look for me on next "Wild and Crazy High Speed Pursuits" :)

Just kidding.

In the Bay Area, it had rained for what seemed like 40 days and 40 nights. I had to go out to Tracy (didn't know the highway there was riddled with CHP) and the sun was miraculously shining. Top down, doing 80 with very light traffic when suddenly the cars in front of me 'parted like the Red Sea' and I gunned it...

..few minutes later I see this lone black car speeding to catch up. I'm doing 120mph, decided to take my foot off the accelerator. Low and behold it was a CHP, pulled up beside me (I was at 93MPH at that point), and just waves and yells "pull off the next exit", yet he didn't have his lights or anything going.

I pull off, and he walks up and says "I know it's been raining for a month and the weather's nice, but everyone was doing 80, you were well past 90" and rather than play stupid or some dumbass excuse he's probably heard a million times, I said "I know..."

He was very cool "Is this your car...?" "Can I see your license..?" I offer to find my insurance card (proof is required in California) and he waves me off "with a car like this I'm sure it's insured"

Thankfully, he wrote me up for 75 so I could attend traffic school, and let me go on my way.

I didn't get off the hook, but I also didn't get a cop clocking me at 120, nor a cop that was an ******* about it either. I thought him writing me up for a speed that allowed a cheaper ticket AND allowed traffic school was incredibly generous. I think we parted ways feeling satisified.

11. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Alright, well its not ferrari...but....

I was in my WRX headed out to a party with one of my buddies in the car. There was this other friend of mine who was following me out to the party in another car. He was driving his fathers MB C32 AMG. Very quick little car.

Anyways, were doing about 10 over on a pretty big road... (it was a 40 zone) Side by side, we see a light turn yellow, and insted of stopping we both nailed it HARD. After what seemed like 2 seconds of being WOT, i see the lights in my mirror. Terrified, he shot around me and nailed jack in the AMG. He jumped out of his car, and waved me over to the side of the road with his nightstick. Scared, i rolled over there behind the parked AMG. He came over, and yelled like crazy at us. Up to my window, he stated, "son, turn off your motor, you are going to jail tonight" He thought we were racing. Now, I could never hang with a C32 AMG, there is no way. I guess he thought I could...but anyways, we both got tickets...big tickets.

It was about 11:30 PM, and I got ticketed for 27 over, and he was at 30 over. I had my V1 on, but he nailed us both with instant on. He was comming the other way, and pulled a uturn to get us.

The important part of this story is that I learned sooo much. I also learned that I will never do anything like that again.

Nonetheless, jack lets me drive the AMG all the time...i just go the speed limit.

12. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Also, he got pulled over 2 weeks ago with me in the car. We were on our way back from a highschool hockey game at about 2 AM. There was no one on the highway. Not one car anywhere in 5 lanes across and atleast 7 miles up the road.

Jacks dad is a lawyer, and does not seem to care about getting nailed for speeding. I was riding shotgun, as he was cruising at about 100-105. He wondering what it would do, pushed it to about 130. Still goin strong at 130, he got on it it up to about 138 mph. Just as we hit 138, his V1 goes crazy on a Ka ahead, and then to the side, and behind really really quickly. No lights go on, and jack merges over...onto the sholder. Comes to a complete stop. The officer was very very confused about why we pulled over if no lights went on. He pulled up to where we were....about 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile ahead. Gets out of his car, and says

"kids, its been a long night. I am very tired, what the fu*k do you think you are doing on my highway."
    Jack replied with, "officer, its my fathers car, and I just had to see what it would do. I know it was a mistake, but i had to do it. I am not gonna lie, im gonna tell it to you how it is."
    the officer replied with, "go home right now, but NOT at speeds like that. I dont ever want to see you on my highway again"

I really could not believe it. Maybe because jack pulled himself over??

I know stupid kids.....

13. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Glad to see that you and Jack now respect his highway.

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Doc, I unlike some of the Posters have no problem with Police Officers doing their jobs. If you want to go really fast go to a track where you know there is no on coming traffic or Soccer Moms in their SUV's. The Police are there for us and they are the first ones we call in emergency's. They have a job were their lives are in Jeopardy. There is nothing wrong in following some basic common sense steps in making the officers feel more comfortable and ensuring our cities are safer. I have had one ticket in my 355 and the Officer was extremely courteous and I deserved the ticket. I have no problems with the Police and I am grateful for them. I don't feel we are in a Police state, the difference is we live in a better society.

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I realize that traffic patrol is **** duty, but I'm amazed that the cops get involved with their wiz-bang radar toys, and ignore some pretty blatant driving.

One time, I was driving past a school zone, and there was a cop parked at the intersection, making sure everyone slowed to the 20 MPH school zone speed. A woman, apparently having dropped off the kids, left the stop sign directly across the nose of my rental car. I had to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. The cop did nothing, because neither of us were speeding. :rolleyes:

Another thing I don't understand is cop cars. Sure, these hogmobiles are easily identifiable as police vehicles, but isn't the job dangerous enough, without sending these guys out in the snow in an Impala? Can't we get our cops some decent cars, like an A6 Avant, or S4, or even an WRX?

16. BriSalig

BriSalig Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    DGS, actually in australia, the did give cops WRXs. Too many of them got wrecked. I think the use those impalas because there cheap, and can run pretty hard when they need to...or atleast it seemed that it did in my rearview mirror. Plus its domestic.

Some cops use camaros around here.

If we give cops cars that are too fast, how are we gonna be able to run?? jk

17. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Well, I hate to admit it, but I actually got a ticket a little while ago. Ive been really embarassed about it since I hate for people to think of me as a stereotypical young driver. I was going down a road with a 55mph speed limit at 75. I was not trying to speed at all! It was just a long straight with no other cars in sight and I just lost track of speed. Naturally a cop comes over a hill the other direction and I didn't even try to slow down, not knowing how fast I was really going. So he turns around and gets me for 20 over. Ill be doing traffic school in January.

The way I look at it is that I learned my lesson from it, and am much more cautious now. Ive never been the hot-rodding type but I have to learn from mistakes. So...that was my first encounter with the police...and my last! The hike in my insurance is bad, but not horrible. After traffic school it will return to normal levels. So, nobody in socal make fun of my granny driving...Another ticket and I dont drive anymore :)

18. chefrobear

chefrobear Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2002
    cravanzana, Italia
    Full Name:
    Robert Ginsberg
    Just a warning: If your going to the cavallino at the breakers, be careful. They have lowered the speed limits on Palm Beach. They are 25/30 mph. They do check!!

19. Almost_2_Tall

Almost_2_Tall Rookie

Dec 22, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    After 20 years of driving I got my first ticket on my second time driving the car. Driving out of Baltimore, MD late one night I got pulled over. The officer was quite disappointed. He said, "Damn, I thought I got me an Oriole". He was amazed at the fact I was just a farmer and could afford this car. I assured him the were actually quite inexpensive and wished him better luck next time.

20. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    For guys who love cars, some of you guys drive pretty slow. Most guys with the dough and the F-Cars do though. I am still relatively young with my first F-Car(33 y/old). I have had 30-40 tickets in my years driving. Three for over 100mph. Got pulled over for 148mph in a 60 on beltway 8(the speedway) in Houston on a sportbike. Thank god the cop was my dads best friend. Ticketed me for 70 in a 60. Recently got one in the M3 convertible for 105 in a 65. My record for driving Dallas to Houston in the M3 is 2hour20min. Houston to Autin 1hour40min. That is with the detector and the jammer helping out.(I must add that I have been racing all types of bikes and cars for years and have lots of experience driving fast and I generally do it late at night or when no one else is around. Most people have no business over 85mph...but then again, you guys are not most people). Have not been pulled over in the new 355 yet, but several cops have stopped to admire and comment. What do you guys think for a personalized plate reading ND4SPD or is that too boy racer. ...or 4SPEED.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ORGNDNR?

:D

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    SPLAT

23. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    thats probably the way i will end up, but I live life knowing I would rather regret something I have done(winner's attitude) than something I have not done(loser's attitude). I was not saying anyone here is a loser though.

24. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    It was around Xmas time 1988. I was finally done breaking in my 1988.5 Black/Tan Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet.

I decided on a run to Vegas from Santa Barbara. Somewhere around midnight heading east towards Barstow for Vegas at 130-140. I remember the freeway sign saying 58 miles to Barstow and timing the arrival at 28 minutes.

Past Barstow on a very long stretch, a clear night, and no cars, I saw a red light waaay back. It was like a pinpoint of light in the rearview mirror.

I pulled over on an area of shoulder that was very large and waited.

It seemed like a minute, but the CHP arrived and pulled behind me.

I waited for the officer to come to the window and he asked me, "Did you know how fast you were going?"

I said I would like to discuss it with him. So, I got out of the car and he kept asking me how fast I was going.

He said there was no reason for me to pull over as it was clear he was never going to catch up to me by the time I crossed the Nevada border. I told him I saw his lights and knew it was best to just pull over and work it out.

He laughed, asked to see the engine... There we were, midnight, clear night, on the side of the freeway chatting away.

Anyway, I worked out a deal with him. I said, if you promise to write me up for 90 I will tell you how fast I was going. By now, his partner was out of the cruiser and looking at the engine too.

He agreed to the deal, and I told him about 140MPH. Those two guys started laughing and smiling, and were real impressed. The cruiser they had wasn't a Mustang it was the old Crown Victoria slug.

Anyway, he wrote me up, and we both went on our merry way. And, although I didn't climb back into the triple digit speeds for the rest of the way to Vegas, it wasn't 65 either.

On the way back there was some more fun, but it was daylight and there were cars.

25. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    Well - Mister Bumblebee was cold one morning as I slowly drove off. At a stop sign at the bottom of a hill I was gently trying to coax the car in gear while rolling at less than 1 mph.......(gravity you know) A cop jumps out of the bushes in some guys driveway and tells me to pull up onto the blvd - I'm inching it and he's getting impatient - like sorry dude but the car is low and I'm not going to drive up on the driveway scraping the bottom.

As he's writing me a ticket for not stopping at the stop sign a van just blows thru it - Geeeeez - I commented how I know he needs to be here but that this is stupid....... this is my first ticket EVER! Dismissed in court.

A few months later the SAME COP nails me for speeding in a Ferrari 550 I'm testing - I just turned the corner from my house and accelerated into traffic (It's a blind corner so when you see a gap you floor it) The joke of "you hate Ferraris don't you?" did not go over well....... (sigh)

While a lawyer friend said I could try to say he's stalking me/singling me out - I thought that would be so low...I mean for all I knew he was a family man.....I ended up going to court.......where he didn't show. (Nika wipes sweat off brow)

Since then I have framed the ticket - a picture of me with it and the license plate from that 550........and I've behaved...well....kinda