Flat Battery in a Ferrari?....... you don't say. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Flat Battery in a Ferrari?....... you don't say.

Discussion in '348/355' started by gidge348, Apr 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hehe! :D:D

I bet you are looking forward to it brother! :D:D

Be sure to post some pics of it when its back on the road! ;);)

I am also assuming that you havent driven yet?? Have you?? You bought the car with the RHR stoved in didnt you? Have you driven a 348 before? :D:D

2. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Yes when I got it the RR was bent, the oil tank punctured, rear grill bent, indicator broken etc

Had it all finished in December last year it was only when I first started it that I realised it was dead on 1 cylinder :(

I have driven it, but only about 50 kms to get it over the pits for re-registration and check for other probs, pulled engine over Christmas.

Since then have:
    1. rebuilt head
    2. replaced cam belt covers
    3. new ali header tank
    4. replaced clutch line
    5. repacked fly wheel grease.
    6. removed air injection
    7. repainted wheels
    8. retimed cams accurately
    9. checked just about every nut and bolt on the thing.

The last time I drove it, it was dead on 1 cylinder, the timing was out and the injectors where full of crud but still made my pulse run. Have driven a 308 before and loved it, but the 348 seems a whole different animal.

Bigger, more torque, tighter...... roll on Tuesday and let me at those injectors.. :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hehehe! Awesome! You have put A LOT of blood, sweat and tears into this car!! You will appreciate it much more now that you have done all the hard yards!! :D:D

Also, you will LOVE this car!! I still get excited everytime I drive my car and I have owned it for nearly 4 years. :D:D

I hope you enjoy the rest of your Easter long weekend mate!! I bet Tuesday cannot come soon enough. ;);)

I am also looking forward to hearing about your first thoughts when the car is back on the road! I bet it wont be long before you are tearing down the highway taking in the glorious tuned V8 symphony screaming behind your ears at 7800 RPM! :eek::eek:

4. Billdemart

Billdemart Karting

Mar 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Billy D
    I just wanted to make sure it didn't mean something else. With all of the gear-heads on this forum it could have been something completely different and I wouldn't know it.

Good to know thanks :cheers:

5. aaronm

aaronm Karting

Mar 10, 2008
    Australia
    just wondering if you have any pics of before and after shots of the wheels?

im planning on getting mine resprayed to new condition... thinking of going a tad lighter than the original colour...

6. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #31 gidge348, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
    No probs, as soon as I get the injection back on I will get it on its wheels and take some pics.

The paint was a standard base silver not a mixed colour, think it was 871 or 873 so if repairs are needed should be easy to mach.

The colour is probably a shade lighter but without anything to compare it with I think it is pretty well spot on. Hope to catch up with some other Ferrari drivers and compare.

Bit of a saga getting them painted, tried blasting them first and found that the paint was harder than the wheels??? So used paint stripper then super high pressure water stripper and gave to the painter to final prep and paint.

He etch primed, 2 pack primed, colour then clear, looked fine then it shrunk back and pits all over the place. :(

The painter was not happy and said it was my fault……

In the end I sanded it and got him to use a high build 2 pack primer, colour and clear and came up well.

They really do need the high build primer to give the smooth “plastic” look of the original plus a good 2 pack etch prime to stop shrinking back.

7. aaronm

aaronm Karting

Mar 10, 2008
    Australia
    cheers for the pointers, looking forward to seeing some pics. sorry for taking the thread totally of topic!

8. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #33 PAP 348, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some pics of mine mate. They were original and the finish on them was "crazy cracked". :D:D

I had them stripped using paint stripper and then painted in 2-pac paint. They look AWESOME now, like new. The colour was matched to the original 348 colour. :):)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. aaronm

aaronm Karting

Mar 10, 2008
    Australia
    they look awesome now... mine aren't cracked... just a few scratches around the edges, nothing major... but i want them to look new

10. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Thanks mate! Take them to your local paintshop and have them do the work. :):)

Mine only cost $400 to do the job. They look like new and hopefully they stay that way for another 18 years. :D:D

11. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    #36 gidge348, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They look great PAP, I guess mine are prety much the same..... just like new.

Looks like $400 is the going rate that is what mine cost, but I did the paint stripping and a mate did the water blasting.

Mine wern't cracked, just a few scratched, scrapes and stone chips.

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Excellent, they look the goods too mate! :D:D

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Mike,
    Leave the switch on, and the battery tender connected up....no worries.

14. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    You shouldn't disconnect your battery when not in use. Use a tender.

When you constantly turn the power on and off to the ECU's and other electronic parts that use ignition off power, you are asking for problems.

Most car batteries don't like to be drained down to nothing. That is why you end up with dead cells.

15. riddleguy

riddleguy Karting

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Curt Pierce
    My .02-

Mine is a 1990 ts. Since none of these cars came with factory stereo systems(or so I am told) dealers did the installation, using various methods of getting electricity to the stereos. My guess is that the stereo installation may explain why some batteries last indefinitely without disconnect/tender and some only last a week. Mine has a jumper wire into the footwell fuse panel(horror).
    My car does have a battery disconnect which is very professional looking, mounted to a flat plate on one of the square support tubes by the battery. I doubt very highly that it was factory. I turn mine off when I won't use the car for more than a few days. If I don't, the battery is usually weak in 1-2 weeks.

16. GPGardin

GPGardin Rookie

Mar 9, 2008
    Cambridge Ontario
    Full Name:
    Greg Gardin
    I have found that by keeping the battery fully charged with a tender help extent their life. In my 2000 Yamaha R6, it is plugged in all winter and anytime I know I cannot ride it for 2 weeks or so. Even the dealer is surprised that it still has the original battery as theirs lasted 4 years.

My 89 348tb has a very large red disconnect attached to the negative terminal - not sure if this was factory but the wrong colour was not appreciated when I left the interior dome lights on and needed to jump it. I did not look at the battery but saw the red which to me has always been positive. Sparks were not a pleasant surprise. No damage - blow the fuse in the radio though.

I noticed that both the bike and car clocks run fast. I wonder if the battery tender - which I believe runs around 14v is affecting this? Even if so, I will still use them, I can change the clock faster and cheaper than the battery.

Greg

17. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    The problem is that the ECU's do use a slight amount of power while just sitting and don't like their power turned off and on constantly, at least that's what I've been told. Also, you have to reset them whenever you re-connect the power. Not a good idea to piss them off.

18. aaronm

aaronm Karting

Mar 10, 2008
    Australia

just put mine in to get repainted a couple of days ago... i'm offshore at the moment so it will be something to look forward to when im back on land! I'm also getting the nuts rechromed and new yellow caps. Should look sweet, will post some pics when i get the car back.

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Fantastic Aaron!! :):)

I am looking forward to seeing pics brother! :D:D

20. aaronm

aaronm Karting

Mar 10, 2008
    Australia
    mine are all done now.. re-painted, nuts re-chromed, new yellow caps... wheels rebalanced and an alignment done....

apparently they look good, only prob is i'm still offshore! can't wait to get back.

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cool man, would love to see pics when you are back onshore and have the time. :D:D

22. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    +1

23. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    What are you +1 about?? :D:D

We are still waiting to see pics of your car! :p:p

How is it going mate?? Running good now?? No issues? :):)

24. gidge348

gidge348 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2008
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Ian Wood
    Running well now................ goes like "Sh*t Off a Shiny Shovel", just waiting to get it detailed so it looks good for the pics and them I will load them up.

Went out on the “Fish and chip run” last night with about 8 Lotuses (Loti??) what do you call more than one Lotus?

Those little things are quick, unfortunately they picked the rout so all the roads were about 1 meter wide and the 348 felt like truck negotiating the islands and speed bumps.

Next time maybe I should show them some nice Ferrari roads….

Good time was had by all, met up with Steve who I believe you met when he was in Isa a while ago….

25. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That is GREAT to hear Ian! I see a pic of your car in that Aussie section. Looks great. :D:D

I saw that thread mate and I dont know what you call 8 Lotuses?? :D:D

Steve is a GREAT guy. Enjoyed his company everytime he visited Mount Isa. :):)