Flat black paint | FerrariChat

Flat black paint

Discussion in '360/430' started by NVH, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NVH

NVH Karting

May 3, 2012
    Cedarville NJ
    Full Name:
    Nowell Herman
    New owner here. I think I read this is a common issue but I wanted to ask to be sure.

Question; Is it common that the flat black paint example under the front trunk is chipping off and showing the red through?

I see it under the front lid itself and on a few of the bolts under the front trunk and on the line between the fender and inner black area and on door hinges.

Thanks.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Doesn’t look like factory paint.

3. NVH

NVH Karting

May 3, 2012
    Cedarville NJ
    Full Name:
    Nowell Herman
    No paint work on this car.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I know there was a recall on the scuds ..not sure about non scud 430s where the dealer would repaint the undercoating in door jambs and hood

You may want to see it it covered under that by your local Ferrari dealer

Like I said I know it was for 2008 scuds ..not sure about your car though

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    There are multiple threads on this subject. My newly delivered 2007 F430 Spider with 6500 miles has this happening also. On the engine lid and the door hinge side jambs. Appears to be a common occurrence. The flat black was sprayed over the body color apparently without deglossing or any other process to give the body color paint a tooth for the black paint to adhere.

Another quirk of Italian "hand-built quality".

Nuvolari and f355spider like this.
  6. NVH

NVH Karting

May 3, 2012
    Cedarville NJ
    Full Name:
    Nowell Herman
  7. NVH

NVH Karting

May 3, 2012
    Cedarville NJ
    Full Name:
    Nowell Herman
    Thanks aeroman for the info

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    NVH likes this.
  9. NVH

NVH Karting

May 3, 2012
    Cedarville NJ
    Full Name:
    Nowell Herman
    thanks flash32

10. NVH

NVH Karting

May 3, 2012
    Cedarville NJ
    Full Name:
    Nowell Herman
    God I love my car :)

flash32 likes this.
  11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    For proper adhesion, it's best to apply within the proper chemical window before the base fully cures. If that is done, the solvents will bite into the base coat and then mechanical bonding is superseded by the chemical bond which is much better. Likely they waited too long before applying the matt black.

12. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Common issue. Lots of threads on it. Like you when first I saw the issue on my 4000 mile baby I choked.
    You can get a shop to fix it but in my case i was able to blend it in myself as they were hidden areas

NVH likes this.
  13. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I had the same thing happen on my 08 F430. I bought some matte black paint and touched it up periodically with a small brush. Experiment with a few types of matte paints until you get the sheen correct.

NVH likes this.
  14. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I didn't know this! My 16M has lost a noticeable amount of paint where the door hinges are. I'll ask next time I'm in the shop.

Thanks.

NVH likes this.
  15. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I did the exact same thing. Its the best and cheapest way to fix the issue.

16. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    Yup, common issue. My 07' spider was showing it as well on certain spots. I just used a flat black bumper paint and it has been a year and holding up quite well. I just used some rubbing alcohol to clean the area and touch it up with a small brush...it blends quite well.

whatheheck likes this.
  17. mnogj

mnogj Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I too just purchased a 2007 F430 spider and have the same issue of the flat black paint coming off in the front trunk and door hinge areas.

Does anyone have a link of a flat black paint that I can purchase that will match the factory’s?

I asked the dealer why this happened and he said it is due to the body flexing over the years... Not sure if that is the reason or if the paint was removed during servicing.

Attached Files:

18. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The paint and general surface preparation on these cars is non-existent. Cost cutting no doubt. Nothing I've found so far aside from the actual body has a keyed surface nor primer applied. Shocking really.

mnogj likes this.
  19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    As I stated prior, the issue is poor adhesion. They applied the black over the red without any surface preparation and also not within the window of time for a chemical bond. Trying to find a match will be very difficult as gloss levels vary greatly. To do the job correctly, you need to do it over from the start. Remove the current black and properly prep the area and respray.

I did this with a 355 and used SEM Euro (Rattle can). I don't really recommend it as it's not very mar resistant. To do it right you really need a 2K product sprayed thru a gun.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mnogj likes this.
  20. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Common issue, have lots of this on my 2007 F430 as well.

mnogj and whatheheck like this.
  21. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Clean up the chipped areas, mask area, spray it with semi-gloss rattle can paint and it is done.

mnogj likes this.
  22. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Bringing up this older thread for future searches.

As described above, had an area of black paint that had pealed off under the front trunk.

I can tell ya that Krylon “Black Satin” spray paint in the rattle can was a perfect match on my 08 430. So if you need to do some touch up, try the Satin black, it’s paint and primer.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

IvanRico and vrsurgeon like this.