Flying a jet - when it’s in your DNA it stays with you forever | FerrariChat

Flying a jet - when it’s in your DNA it stays with you forever

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Yellow Compass, Mar 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    Guys I found this on YouTube I loved it I think you will too
    Enjoy
    Mike :)

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Super cool :).

My UK Flight Instructor was a test pilot on those birds.Never got to fly it myself though.

3. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Damm that’s incredible!

Just a thought....how wealthy does one have to be to buy, restore, maintain, and fly a jet like that?

Assuming of course that the owner isn’t budging the other aspects of his life to afford a toy like that.

I’m wild guessing and saying that you need to be close to or have a net worth of 500Million plus.

What do you all think?

tbakowsky likes this.
  4. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    What an interesting tale. I imagine the problem will eventually become that no amount of money will be able to buy the expertise to operate the pegasus engine. If your pegasus technician isn’t up to it, then I sincerely hope your Martin-Baker technician is better....

An interesting (and shocking) insight into the operation of ex-armed forces fast jets by the (seemingly) competent owner at thunder city can be found here:

http://www.caa.co.za/Accidents%20and%20Incidents%20Reports/8706.pdf

A greater catalogue of laissez-faire neglect, ignorance, disregard for regulations, deception and arrogance would be hard to find.

All this is purely hypothetical in the UK anyway, as I imagine the chances of the CAA allowing this to fly in private hands in the aftermath of the Shoreham Hunter crash are precisely zero.

Best to all.

Mark.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^^^^^
    Probably one of the more difficult warbirds to maintain, as you not only have the Pegasus but the entire rotating nozzle and augmenting ejector systems to keep working properly. Of course you could always operate it in 'regular' aircraft mode only.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    ScottS likes this.
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This guy must have made a TON of money someplace. He has 2 others being restored to flight ready. Nice to see he is pursuing he passion..but wow, he has a lot of disposable income.

Formula Uno likes this.