FML/Ferrari Classiche | Page 7 | FerrariChat

FML/Ferrari Classiche

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Aug 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Yup.

I think this will become more important as time goes on for these cars of the 50s/60s and maybe the 70s like the boxer and 308 glass car if they become true collectible.

Funny, how Ferrari says more authentic after spending a horrid amount of money .... pay to play i guess :D

2. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    my real gripe with the whole system is that ferrari have entered the classic market after basically ignoring it for 40+ yrs, and now feel that theyre superior to any other authority and thus can dictate what is and isnt acceptable.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    +1

4. Albert V8

Albert V8 Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Albert
    To set the record straight. Over the moon now.

Having more work done and they've agreed to service my car whilst its in Italy. Enjoyed my time there last week and hope to see the team again when new works are completed.

And one of my dreams came true, when i was allowed to drive the car out through the main gates, happy days :)

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    In my mind only 5% of all Ferraris have any sort of real history attached to them (ok, maybe 10% tops). Setting aside that small percentage of cars for the time being, I propose that what Ferrari is doing will serve as a long term benefit to all other owners. I personally don't know of any historians who can and are willing to do a valve job on your car, or whose advice I'd take over several local (and highly skilled, but rapidly aging) Ferrari mechanics in my area. I'm not saying that mechanically-inclined historians do not exist, I just don't know of any who are willing to work on my Ferraris.

At some point in the future the 90% of us with non-historic Ferraris will need to ask ourselves what's better - a historically correct Ferrari, or a reliable working Ferrari.

6. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I agree and I support the program. To that end when John Amette asked if I would run my F40 throught the Classiche program my answer was simple & short: Yes.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

7. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    very interesting read. comments?

8. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    This is just silly. Frankly, there are several shops in the US that are far more core competent at this. The Factory ought to stick to the knitting, they have enough trouble building quality into their current products with out recreating skills lost 50 and 40 years ago that have been assembled and exercised for decades in the very best restoration houses. To make a sharp point, do you suppose the heads they will someday make for 355s and 456s will be flawed the second time around to preserve authenticity? The very best global businesses understand the limits to "core competency" Just because Ferrari does not does not compel us as consumers to do so. M

9. jcwconsult

jcwconsult Karting

Sep 20, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Full Name:
    Jim Walker
    For owners of Vintage cars, the value of Ferrari Classiche may well lie in the spare parts supply. I have a recent experience to relate.

I need the tachometer angle drive for my 365 GT 2+2, Borletti number 50.0530.990.0. I approached Ferrari Classiche via email to see if they would help reproduce the part, using the statement in the Classiche brochure "... Ferrari can offer, whenever possible, in collaboration with its official suppliers the necessary parts to be replaced ..... "

Ferrari Classiche said they would not deal with the individual owner and referred me to either Maranello Concessionaires or my local Ferrari dealer. Maranello Concessionaires does not have the piece (a fact I mentioned in my original email to Classiche) and my local Ferrari dealer says the part is not available through any normal Ferrari channels in the USA.

Ferrari Classiche was essentially unable or unwilling to assist me in any meaningful way. Perhaps the part I needed was too "unimportant" for them to be involved. There are several stories of their important assistance with making complete new engines or major engine parts, but those parts are worth big bucks.

Perhaps small parts to retain authenticity are not important to Ferrari Classiche.

I have located the part I need, so I can fix my car, but unfortunately Classiche was not a part of the solution.

Regards,

Jim Walker
    365 GT 2+2 #12451

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    My subscription lapsed. How about a synopsis...?

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Sad.

Best

12. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    she looked good on sat...thanks for comming out jim...hope to see you at our next event...regards....MO

13. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #163 GTSguy, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In addition to questioning Ferrari's ability with regards to authenticating old cars etc., everyone should read the fine print at the front of the Certificate. Ferrari disclaims the following:

"Ferrari has issued this certificate of authenticity for the sole purpose of certifying the authenticity of the Car.

This Certificate of Authenticity has been issued relying on the information provided to Ferrari by the owner of the Car or his authorized representative on the occasion of the certificate procedure.

No representation or warranty is made by Ferrari as to the correctness of the Certificate of Authenticity and as to the authenticity of the Car, should it turn out that the information provided was untrue or that the owner of his authorized representative did not provide Ferrari all the relevant information or documents pertaining to the car…

Ferrari will not be liable towards the owner of the car and/or any third party who may purchase the car or enter into any type of transaction by virtue of the Certificate of Authenticity…….”

One can not help but ask a simple question after reading this. What is a Certificate worth if in the end Ferrari won't back it up? This is all getting rather unbelievable to this simple minded guy....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

15. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    The certification is worthless from where I stand. It would also have little to no influence on me when considering a purchase.

16. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I couldn't agree more. It's a great money making scheme for Ferrari. And I guess that it makes people with no knowledge of Ferraris feel good when buying them!

Ah, if only our 'feelings' were not so deceptive!

Jon

17. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Nearly all the comments in the thread are correct.....to an extent. Obviously Ferrari need to cover themselves in some respect. This program is new and will eventually sort itself out in a few years. Any car they check is done at that moment. Who is to say that a car having just done the Classiche Certificate, has an accident, and is after the repair, nothing like it was previously. All Ferrari's change as time goes on ....... from changing the oil filters to changing engines (hopefully not as often). The Classiche idea had to be tried, and I believe it will succeed. Gladly it has been done by the factory. They are not going to run around finding correct nuts and bolts for customers, so they have concessioneers to do that. Why, because it is to much of a problem to do so. Discussion from everyone is helpful and needed to sort out the best way to continue.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #168 judge4re, May 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update.

When Ferrari went to the new version of their website and I re-registered the QV (they transfered it over as a 308 GTB, not a 308 GTS QV), they also uploaded the color information.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login