FOC Midwest Karting Event - Results & Pics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FOC Midwest Karting Event - Results & Pics

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Mar 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Holy smokes - I'm imagining how sore I'd be after 90 minutes straight!

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Well, maybe we can negotiate with the place now??? Hmmm???? Let us rent the track for a reasonable price, with some instruction for the day and we will fill your lot with Ferraris.... :) Maybe even give rides around the area for the employees too???? Hmmmm??????

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How long would the individual driving intervals have been? Up to the teams or regulated group size and driver change stops?

4. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Now there's an angle, we schedule a Ferrari show in the parking lot, they use it as a promotion/advertising event. We work out a deal for track time .....

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
  6. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Andreas,
    I took pics of all the cars in the lot. They will be included with all the pics from the event to upload to www.focmidwest.com
    I will be burning a CD tonight and snail mailing them to you tomorrow.
    Or you can forward his e-mail address and I can forward the car pics to him.
    Dave

7. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    It looks like we have some very good ideas and comments on this thread for a 2nd karting event in the future. I really like the input and as we put these ideas into place, it will only increase the "fun factor" of the event.

As Andreas pointed out in a previous post regarding driver skill levels, there is another variable regarding driver performance that should be considered for a future event. The weight of the driver probably plays a large part in his/her performance results in these small karts. This can be an advantage to some, and a disadvantage to others.
    I have seen other clubs ignore details such as this in competitive events. The results wind up being that the same advantaged particpants stock their trophy case event after event, and the disadvantaged don't have a prayer. Over a period of time, the disadvantaged become discouraged and either reluctantly participate, or become disinterested in the event.

Club sponsored competitive events should always provide an equal opportunity for all particpants as possable. This provides "maximum fun factor" not just a few, but for all involved. That's the difference between a good club, and a great club.

We could see if Chicago Indoor Racing has any estimated driver weight data vs performance tables, or we could estimate our own "weight handicap".

I weigh 170#, probably middle of the road out of the 10 participants.

Just my $.02 worth,
    Dave

8. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Dave,

We could just make all of the lighter weight people like you wear sandbags, then we could all weigh 260. (8->}

9. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    OOOOW AHHHH !

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #35 FerrariFrank1, Mar 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Methinks perhaps that Bob's 50/200 rule should be in order....:)

And,when I get better. Can we use the "Feels like 80/300+" rule...?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Dave Bendl contacted them in regards to weight and penalties, here their reply:

"Weight can be a factor, but is just one of many. We have many 200+lb guys that are lapping in the sub 16 second category bracket on Track One (Will Johnston – 15.52). Where weight is a bigger factor is when a driver makes any kind of error. Simple inertia will penalize the heavier driver more as he scrubs of more speed when sliding and lacks the acceleration of a lighter driver. The flip side is that he is able to corner at a slightly higher speed and if he makes no mistakes he can be quick."

BTW: More pictures are now up on the FOC website:

http://www.focmidwest.com/IndoorKarting2004.html

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I assume that it's up to the individual teams to decide. I'm not sure if the rules require an even division of driving or what.