FOC Midwest Tech Session - Pictures | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FOC Midwest Tech Session - Pictures

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Dave Bendl, Mar 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Big thanks to Dave and Mike. Perfect rainy weekend project!

2. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    If anyone has any other projects... I'm more than willing to host another one.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Mike! Your garage and location are ideal for this, unless one arrives in a wonderful TR. :)

Dave might organize another event like this at the end of this year's driving season. Hopefully he'll cover the installation of a conveyor belt through the windshield.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You guys are toooo funny!....:) (And hey, that is a GOOD THING!!!!.:) )

Yes, many thanks to Spike for his gracious Hospitality, Garage, and Food! (And, to the Mrs. for letting us big boys come over and play for the afternoon...:) )

And to Dave for sharing his knowledge with us. That definitely was worth that work, no doubt. The window was definitely much better than when how it was when this project was started.

We are fortunate to know such guys like Dave Bendl, Bob Campen, and Bill Rosen.....And, the Ladies, Haley and Chelle, who have that mechanical knowledge with these cars...."The folks 'In the Know', to help the Folks that 'don't know' "....:) And, the intestinal fortitude to get in there and rip 'em apart, and fix 'em!....:)

Oh Yeah, I am definitely up for more Tech Sessions.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  6. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I would have left in that TR. Somehow I would have stolen the keys and been GONE!!!

Wow. Nice!!

Wish I could have gone.

Bill

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    That event was a lot of fun :). I now have a full appreciation for exactly how many plastic pulleys it takes to operate a ferrari window...and for those who weren't there...its is quite a few.

I also learned from Dave that Ace hardware apparently sells ferrari parts :). Apparently some of the oil/hvac hoses are available... Very cool.

Andreus...nice pictures! First time I have seen my car photographed. I think the limo tint on the windows does wonders for a white car!

Mike, thanks for hosting...

8. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Bo,

Pardon my off topic question, but that TR is a former LFSC car isn't it? There might be a similar car in the Northfield area if not.

RocketBoy

PS: Cool Homer sign Mike.

9. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Its the LFSC one. Have you known the car in the past? I am still trying to hunt down any old records. I have the records for the last 6 years or so. Prior to that Continental looked after the car. Per LFSC they were unable to get the old records from Continental. Either "lost" or unavailable...

Figured if anyone knew the prior owner, perhaps I could hunt them down!

10. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Sorry Bo,

Only experience I had with that car was during its time at LFSC. I can remember when they gave me some info on it while they were at their old facility. Its a good looking car in the pics, appearing to take drastic leaps up from the condition I saw it in last. I would love to see it in person again and perhaps we will meet at one of the many fun events this year and talk further.

RocketBoy

11. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo

Well, now you have me intrigued, I wonder if we are talking about the same car. This car was at LFSC for about a year. It was pristine then...and still is :)...

The car had 9000 miles when purchased...13,000 now :).

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I would bet you're talking about the same car but have different opinions about pristine. No offense, the TR is in great condition. But I think Rocketboy is a stickler and his Maranello looked like it rolled off the showroom floor.

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    No offense taken...its all relative :). My car definitely isn't concours... :), but geesh, a comment like that is almost like calling another guys girlfriend "ugly!"

When I was looking for testarossa's, most of them looked pretty "worn." The one LFSC had next to mine was red/tan, 10,000 miles, but looked like 80,000. Tons of paint damage, worn through seats, etc.

Perhaps I didn't look at a lot of testarossa's (Saw 5 or 6), but this was by far the cleanest one I saw, anywhere near this price range. Continental had a gorgeous car, which I believe Screentime bought, but at the time it was $15,000 more than this one...

Hopefully if my never ending schedule allows, I plan to fix the shrinking dash...and maybe I'll wash it :).

14. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    OK, We need to get Mike or Dave to post some of the pictures they took of the steps of working on the door. We want to see some grease and all that sludge he scraped out of the pulleys.

Plus, we need a picture of what Doctors do with those left over clamps. LOL! Good cable holders while pulling the door pulleys out....

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey, I must say!....:) I saw that White TR at LFSC a couple of times. And, IMHO, it is one of THE Cleanest Testarossa's that I have EVER seen anywhere! In person at Car Dealers both here and in Scottsdale, Arizona. Car Shows. Magazines. Anywhere. And I have seen many. I could not find even One booger on that car. RB must be thinking of another one...

But that Red/Tan TR that was next to it looked abit rough. The front spoiler was all chopped up from Parking blocks, or Curbs. And there were boogers all over the whole car.

16. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I have yet to be diagnosed like David Beckham fortunately. But I have been a local home owner for a year and have yet to invite my own family over because the house is not up to my standards. So Bo, please take my opinions with a grain of salt but perhaps this info will help...

Bo, locally I saw a white TR, black floor or mats, red interior three times. First time on the road many years ago and said hello to the driver as he commented on my GT car. He claimed he hadn't washed it in years and to quote Frank's favorite saying, " was driving it the way Enzo intended and not letting it rot away in the garage." Seemed like a funny guy, a shade above 50. Once at LFSC old facility where I mention the condition as it was left outside for the winter, window cracked open. Had cob webs, water/snow damage on the inside, (isn't there a speaker near a pillar at the driver's blind spot?) and the floor had a partially used popcorn bag half spilled all over along the three copies of the Chicago Trib. Car had company, being parked next to a gun metal TR that had a sharp color combo but was also left to the elements outside. A younger, surprisingly more stupid RocketBoy was looking at TRs as his first Fcar purchase one dark moon long ago. And the salesgirl who sold my Dad a Maser offered me a ride in this but I declined. (Wouldn't have mattered anyway as Lee and Drexel later showed me how unfriendly TRs are to people who are 6 foot 4 inches tall. I also saw how MJ gets away with it.) I don't fault the car, owner, LFSC or whatever. Their old place certainlly had limited space and Chicago winters even in limited durations due wonders to cars as I found out with a former H2. Third time was a long time after, at the new location. The car looked like it had some professional detailing done and was much improved. Shined wonderfully in the new showroom with a much better locale to show itself off than a small parking lot out back. I think some of the fabric was torn a bit, on the side of the seats began to show some wear and cracking and Tyler ( their sales guy) said the car was sitting for a while and he was ready to deal. He claimed car is perfect, little wear, just that the color combo drove people away. So that's it in a nut shell: funny/friendly owner first time I saw it, left out in the cold and harsh winter another, cleaned up and looking spiffy but neglected the respect it deserved the third time I saw it.

RocketBoy

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Well, my curiosity is still up...It might be the same car. I do recall seeing it next to the gray one.

My car was registered to the original owner, some gent who owned an electric supply house. (I saw the title before it was "cleansed" of owner info). Not sure how the previous owner drove it, but the mileage was awefully low...wear and tear seemed to match mileage.

The interior looks pretty immaculate except for a shrunk dash. As best as I can tell there are no stains, water damage, or stereo system upgrades. There are no speakers/speaker holes near the drivers side, or anywhere else. The radio was the original (crappy) headunit, with the original amp under the passenger footwell.

The car has the original k40 radar detector.

The car has the original red ferrari floormats, with minimal to no wear.

The drivers side seat has color fading on the drivers bolster, but minimal wear...

The car came with reciepts for over 20,000$ work over the previous year, as prep for sale...

It sometimes shocks me as to the financial beating the original owners took on these cars. I paid low 50's for the car (As you said, it sat for a while). Had a couple of thousand in seals replaced based on ppi. During the previous year, the owner also had the major done (10,000+), clutch, brakes/disks/fluids/spoiler scratches touched up/new tires/seat belt fix/ etc. 20,000+ from what I recall...

So, he basically got 30,000$ net for the car, or less (Don't forget commision :) ). Pretty damn amazing. Also, he did annual fluid changes at 1500-2000$ yearly, for the prior 5 years... If you deduct that, he netted in the 20's. Pretty damn amazing...
    Original asking was 70,000$, I think...

I thank him for all the money he put into it! 2 years later, my costs are pretty much zero, except for fluid changes... I am a happy camper :).

Either way...the car looks fine now... Its always interesting to hear past history!

18. J Saber

J Saber Karting

Mar 4, 2006
    Gurnee, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Jay Morris
    Sorry guys! Looks like I missed a good time. I've been working my tail off at work. This is the first night I've even gotten to look at the forum in awhile. Anyway...wish I had have been there. BTW...car's still down :(

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jay, you were missed. Hope to see you and the car at Meadowdale.