For all those with child education experience -The Alphabet | FerrariChat

For all those with child education experience -The Alphabet

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by warrenn, Mar 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Kinda strange question: What's the best way to teach a 4-5 year old the alphabet? My friend is stressing out because his child doesn't know all his abcs and his kid will be graduating kindergarten. I told him him to pick up some alphabet software at compusa or something like that. Any suggestions on methods or software? I'm not the best person to help him considering my education stopped at the letter "G". Thanks!

2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

Tell them to not stress first off.

Most kids in my kids k class did not know all the letters. That is really covered in 1st grade, at least in my district. My son knew about 17 letters by the end of k. We have him sing the alphabet song and put letters up in his room. Then did letter association with objects like "F" is for "Ferrari". Also, using the three methods help. Reading them, hearing them and writing them.

K is more more about following directions and getting them ready for 1st grade then any true learning.

3. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The best way is to go out and get the Leapfrog DVD for the alphabet.

My 4 year old picked up the entire alphabet last year and my 2 1/2 yr old knows them all now as well from just watching the dvd. The kids love all of the leapfrog DVD's and they learn very quick from them.

Vernon

4. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Thanks Matt. I'll relay the message. The reason why he was stressing out was because the teacher wanted to hold his kid back one more year in K because he didn't know all the letters.

5. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

Seems a bit harsh. Is this a private school?