FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX 2020 - SAKHIR.....RACEDAY▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄ | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX 2020 - SAKHIR.....RACEDAY▄▀▄▀ Spoilers ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Nov 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Agree. But he was 1/3 down the straight. Highly unlikely anyone would hit the barrier straight on at 140 MPH there.

The armco is supposed to deflect and cushion the shock while deflecting and bouncing the car away. Would concrete have been any better in this situation? Its questionable.

The F1 car is really strong. Went through the barrier like an arrow through an apple.

JL350 likes this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    That is the only comparison to draw. I can't think of anyone other than Jos Verstappen that have been in a major accident with F-1 fire and lived. The fact that he was able to be on social media just hours later and talking ... remarkable.

Terra likes this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Was the impact truly 53G's? that is a huge amount of energy to absorb ... if it was a cement barrier likely the car could have been deflected ... vs. caught and torn apart.....

TheMayor likes this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree on all.
    He seems to lose his ability to see others drivers during start and first corners.
    Really hope he won’t go to Indy.

5. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb

6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It went through the barrier because of nose height being between the 2 armco pieces. You can either put another layer of armco there, or lower the nose of the car so it strikes somewhere else on the barrier.

If the nose hits either piece of armco squarely, the car delerates and does not penetrate.
    If the nose is between the 2 pieces, the nose penetrates and separates the two pieces and that incident is what can happen.

In Lauda's book, he said "given the opportunity to hitting cvoncrete and armco, he will head for the armco every time."

TheMayor likes this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    140 MPH, stopping distance 10 feet--you do the math.

Yes, it was--enough energy to rip a F1 chassis in two.

More likely at the angle (near head on due to funny angle to the road) of impact it would have collapsed the car from 21 feet long into 4 feet long.

tifosi12 likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. The armco is supposed to be like a giant, deforming, spring. The solution may be a double wall construction but amrco by itself is a safe barrier if hit from the proper angle.

Someone hit one a few years ago at a Las Vegas car experience track at 90 degrees after losing the rear wing and skidding off the pavement into the infield. It sliced the car in two which caught fire. Hit the armco in a way its not designed to and its deadly. Hit it the way its supposed to work and its a life saver.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Kubica knows this all too well. Basically cost him his hand.

TheMayor likes this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The Jos pitlane fire at Hockenheim was nothing compared to this...

jpalmito and Bas like this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I remember standing along the Mulsanne straight with a friend at night in the early 80's at Le Mans -theoretically a forbidden zone reached after miles of hiking- and a marshall telling us to stand well back from the triple height armco, explaining it's elasticity in case of a shunt: sobering.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

His spatial awareness is for ****. I read elsehwere that people are blaming Kvyat for the incident somehow?! Very lucky Kvyat hit the brakes indeed, if he went with him in the accident and either came to rest where the monocoque was or gave the final nudge that turned the monocoque over, Grosjean would've burned alive.

stavura, Isobel, kes7u and 3 others like this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Berger

Isobel, subirg and jpalmito like this.
  14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    He was extremely lucky the halo never jammed under the Armco - he would never have got out. Timely reminder to all.

Bas likes this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Grosjean is also lucky the incident did'nt happen further down the track. The medical car would have taken over 30 seconds to arrive. Maybe a minute.

16. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    I read somewhere in the past 24 hours that safety barriers were considered too expensive! With F1 being the "pinnacle" of motorsport, teams pouring millions into car and engine design, I have to believe the cost of developing a better barrier would be something of a rounding error, and certainly a bargain when compared to the death of an individual. Something about using armco to stop a state-of-the-art race car, doesn't make sense to me. And of course the barrier technology could be applied to the World's highway systems - playing nicely into the FIA's road safety program

tifosi12 likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    LOL. In the meantime (hope the link works and not a re-post):

https://m.imgur.com/vx2VQnU

kes7u and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    That's Leclerc overtaking Seb on the restart.

Seb was crying on team radio about the overtake.

ingegnere likes this.
  19. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  20. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    kraftwerk and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #272 Ferrari 308 GTB, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Fun fact Thierry Boutsen was the last Belgian to win an F1 race 30 years ago. He won't get a better chance unless he also races in Abu Dhabi

I would rather they put George Russell in the car though, but then who could take his place .... Aitken?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    What a magnificent start by Leclerc! Very tidy overtake on Vettel as well, I don't understand his radio complaints

kes7u, ingegnere and jpalmito like this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

He is an excellent Chef. I see something else along culinary lines as I was reminded yesterday
    Seb left door open like Stroll lol!!

25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Will we see a Grosjean restaurant on the shores of Lac Leman?