FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PREMIO DE SAO PAULO - Sao Paulo...RACE.. ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 17 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PREMIO DE SAO PAULO - Sao Paulo...RACE.. ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Nov 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Shocking news: fans would rather watch racing, than safety car parades. Who would have guessed?

lagunacc likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Never understood the need for back markers to unlap themselves.
    What is the point?

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    This is a quote on the "spirit" or "purpose" of unlapping, directly from Mercedes themselves (they removed this quote from their webpage, of course, right after 2021 Abu Dhabi ... because it was pretty much the word-for-word playbook for AD last year):

"This will have two important effects, firstly the cars directly behind the safety will line up in actual race order so when the race restarts they are in a position to overtake each other. Secondly, the majority of the field will be on the same racing lap, bunched together and with some of the cars on new tyres. Together with the DRS, this should create exciting racing in the midfield where cars on older tyres will be ahead of cars that have stopped for fresh rubber who are trying to battle their way up the order for points.”

lagunacc and ingegnere like this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    So if a driver "accidentally" leaves the car in gear(hence as to why the marshalls couldn't move the car) as opposed to not leaving it in gear(marshalls can then move the car to a safer place behind the barriers) to get the race restarted quickly......both scenarios can determine the amount of time behind the safety car and laps behind the safety car.

5. F430 F1 Singapore

Mar 4, 2016
    Singapore
    Alonso is manipulative, almost Machiavellian, and I still suspect he was fully in on the fix in Singapore (Crashgate), but he is a very gifted driver. And shows little signs of mellowing or diminishing with age. For that, he has my respect. Purely for his talent. I'm not sure that alone is sufficient to risk putting him on a team - you risk losing trust and cohesion.

Patrick Dixon and william like this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I didnt see the whole race Fast forwarded the whole thing. Dont the cars still have a N neutral button for the marshalls?

ingegnere likes this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Norris left the car in gear....I honestly don't know how he left it in gear. Maybe Norris couldn't put it in neutral as he was trying to get the car to a safer place and the car just turned off on him maybe?

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I meant an external N Neutral mechanism. I never noticed on new era cars.

ingegnere likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    No, there is no external neutral mechanism for the marshalls.

absostone likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This quote is simply a detail of the procedure, but NOT an explanation of the reasons why it is necessary.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Alonso has proven time and time again, that he isn't a team player. The man is toxic.
    Several times he tried (and succeeded) to interfere with the running of his team.
    He threw the McLaren and Renault teams under the bus, and cannot be trusted.
    We will see how he gets on at Aston with Laurence Stroll and Mike Krack.

12. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    Beyond being a bad team principle, Binotto is downright awful at being technical director.

The development cycles he oversaw in 17', 18', 19', and now 22' have shown without a doubt he has terrible organization skills. He just abandons his cars after the summer, while Allison and Newey never rest.

Bas likes this.
  13. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    He is it Alonso's fault went happened to McLaren and Renault? Nobody forced them to cheat and ruin their images.

14. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Sure it is! The reason is to promote "exciting racing".

Cars behind on fresh tires, bunched-up to cars in front on old tires ... "battling" for position and points ... without those pesky back-markers in between. EXCITING RACING is the reason, according to Mercedes.

(well, that was their explanation before AD 2021)

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    He apparently voluntered to cooperate with the FIA against these 2 teams in exchange from immunity from sanction.
    He knew about the Spygate at McLaren in 2007, but testified against the team.
    He was suspected of being part of the plot in the Singapore Crashgate and made a statement against Renault management.

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The purpose of the safety car is to protect marshalls and course workers engaged in clearing the track after an accident, by temporarilly slowing down the cars to a reasonable speed, until it is safe to resume racing.

Period.

17. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ummmm ... we're not talking about the purpose of the SAFETY CAR :rolleyes:

You asked about the purpose of UNLAPPING ... remember? It was only a few posts ago ...

The answer was already provided by Mercedes.

stavura, Bas and ingegnere like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I hear you, but if the safety car is used to change the order of cars by allowing some to unlap themselves, then it's not simply a neutralisation of the race, but clearly a manipulation, that advantages some racers and handicaps others.

What I am looking for is an official explanation giving the reason why there is unlapping at all.
    There must be a FIA text somewhere to support that protocol. The Mercedes prose is not official.

19. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    That's hardly being toxic. Pique was the one who outed Renault's race fix, and all involved were going down, so Alonso was smart to cooperate.

I have no issue with Alonso outing Dennis as having lied to the FIA either.

Alonso is spoiled, pigheaded, and lacks the ability to take responsibility in many instances. But refusing to lie for Dennis and Flavio are not among his flaws.

jpalmito likes this.
  20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    His radio traffic clearly said 'think about the championship'. It was all about points for 2nd in WDC. Nothing to do with "handout of a podium place".

kes7u, Nurburgringer and ingegnere like this.
  21. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    We agree. I love it when this happens.

Cheers my f1 friend. Have a great week!

22. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    It seems like Max has his own view of right and wrong, i.e. you earn your position.
    Even though he comes off as a prick, it does lease Charles and Checo with equivalent points fighting for second position in the driver's race.
    MB is too close to Ferrari for comfort in the race for second in the constructor's battle (never should have happened).
    Ahead of the race, it seemed like the MB drivers were ready to do what it takes to get a win, it felt to me like Lewis took a convenient opportunity to chop at max's car.

23. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #423 Terra, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Ham’s exact actual quote to Bono: “That was NO racing incident, mate.”

kandi, Patrick Dixon and william like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't think it was a question of lying. Apparently when the enquiry started at McLaren, Alonso went to the FIA and offered informations in exchange for not being investigated. He was among those who knew about the 'acquisition" of Ferrari data, and (together with Pedro de la Rosa) participated in reunions at Woking where they were discussed, making him some sort of accomplice. Later he said he had feared his license may heve been revoked to explain himself.

Two years down the line, when the Crashgate scandal exploded, Alonso's name was mentioned as the main beneficiary of the plot.
    Here again, there was a strong suspicion he was part of the machination, but he diverted all responsability by voluntering his participation in the enquiry, and escaped any sanction, unlike the others involved.

Let say there is a lingering smell of deceit everywhere Alonso goes, and he tends to leave chaos behind him in every team he worked for.

25. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Stewards didn’t see it like that as Ver got the penalty. It’s just verbal handbags… Made no difference - Ver wasn’t going to win, and Ham wasn’t going to beat George. Minimal damage done to the final result.