Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum | FerrariChat

Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Scott98, Mar 18, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I took a tour this Saturday and was simply amazed at the amount of antique Packards (39) and car memorabilia. It's a great place for any automotive enthusiast. I highly recommend it if you've never been.

http://antiquecarmuseum.org/

Scott

2. ange0240

ange0240 Karting

Dec 8, 2007
    Palm Beach FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    Ange
    Thank you Scott for posting the site I will check it out -:)

3. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    The actually have a Packard on display in a glass cage on the baggage claim level of the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

4. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I have seen it and it is ok.
    I say just ok, because it is limited to Packards.
    On the other hand, the cars are well kept / restored and interesting to look at.
    I was surprised to learn who the owner of the collection was and I had not realized his busines had closed down.

5. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks for posting this; I'm a big Packard fan. I live in ATL, but work in Ocala, which is a long way from Ft. Lauderdale, but I do get around the state on business.I will definitely check this one out.

Thnks!

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #6 Jack-the-lad, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    The owner was the late Arthur Stone, through an educational foundation that he established, I believe. His business, Buning the Florist, did not "close down." He sold it about 10 years ago to some of Huizenga's former lieutenants who promptly failed in the floral business. Arthur passed away a couple of years ago and the museum is run by his daughter and son-in-law along with his lovely widow, Shirley.

7. kbritton88

kbritton88 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2009
    Kansas City, Mo
    Full Name:
    Kevin Britton
    My uncles boss owns this museum, I got a private tour and it was beautiful. You should check out one of their events sometime.

http://carsofdreams.com/

8. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Thanks for the update: I used Buning the Florist a lot and was bummed when I was told they went out of business, but I did not know about the details that preceded the GOB.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Arthur was a real character...a Damon Runyon type who came to Fort Lauderdale as a kid around the time of the first Depression. He began by selling flowers on the street. He built a real estate empire as well as a thriving retail floral business. He was a shareholder in many small banks as well as some of the big ones. He planned the museum for decades, storing even the Dade County pine trusses for years before he actually built the museum to display his beloved Packards.

He was always generous with letting charities use the museum for fund raising. He and I were a generation apart yet we got on like brothers. We were poles apart politically (an entire room of the museum is devoted to FDR memorabilia) but we never argued about politics. We shared an appreciation of fine cigars and automotive craftsmanship.

"He will be missed" has become a throw-away phrase, but Arthur Stone truly is missed by me.

10. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Thank you for sharing this with us: although I never met the man, I alway thought his stores were well managed and staffed with people who knew what they were doing, unlike his competitors.
    A disappearing breed.