Found a Program that I Forgot I had - 1990 Monaco GP with Autographs. | FerrariChat

Found a Program that I Forgot I had - 1990 Monaco GP with Autographs.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by spirot, Oct 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I was digging through some books the other night and found this program tucked into another book - totally forgot all about it. I have a number of autographs... Both Prince Rainier and Prince Albert.. as well as Senna, and Prost, Piquet, and Ron Dennis...

I was fortunate to be invited to the sporting club gala where I met both Rainier and Albert. I got the drivers autographs on one of the practice days down in the paddock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lusso123, doyler and tifoso2728 like this.
  2. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    How AWESOME is that! I always bought 2-3 programs of the races I went to.

3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    That IS a great item!

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Take care of this! With those signatures, this is VERY valuable!

Lusso123 likes this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    its a long story for this Monaco trip. It was my 2nd time going to the race - but I was living in Switzerland as a student assistant in a hotel restaurant school. the Garde Manger Chef - ( cold food Chef ) was / is Montegasque.. & a gear head. so we became good friends. His father was an apartment owner in Monaco Ville - and knew the Prince well. So they invited me for the race in 1990... we left on Tuesday evening about 7 PM after work, and got to Monaco around 2AM... my friend Remy, says -" its too late to get to his fathers house, so we'll sleep on the Rocher"... I'm like what? yea we'll sleep out on the rocks in the harbor we used to do it all the time.... so he pulls out two sleeping bags, and we park over in the port, and walk out onto the brakewater... its only then that I realize how huge these "Rocks" are... and they are actually huge cement blocks. he says I'll sleep here - and you go up there... so voila we open our sleeping bags and go to sleep... at about 7AM I hear this funny light roaring noise like a lion... I wake up and I'm literally surrounded by about 200 seagulls... I look down below me and Remy has about another 150 all around him ... and the water is literally at the lip of the concrete block he's sleeping on ... he's blissfully asleep. so I just get up and kind of shoo the birds away, btw... they leave a fresh mess all around... nice.. like waking through land minds... Remy wakes up - Merde! les oiseau! .... so then he says ok we'll go take showers and go meet his dad for breakfast...So I think we're going back to the car... he says - no, up there. and points to the yacht club. so we walk up a million stairs - with our sleeping bags and back pack... and he pulls out his little gold key - and voila we are in the club des mariners... it was like walking into a royal palace. everyone knew him... so we each get our own little changing room, private shower, robe etc... they press our clothes, have it hanging in the outer locker, we pack up and go for breakfast ... back to the car - end up searching for parking on Rue Bosio and meet his dad - who is the nicest person ever... typical Montegasque ... dressed like a film star tan, has a small hat smoking a cigar at 8:30 AM... drinking coffee and Sambuca .... talking to all the waitresses...
    "Tomas I propose to you that you come to the fete sporting club. I have the tickets already! you will meet someone there!"

so this man never met me, his son tells him that I have a crush on Princess Stephanie ... and he got us tickets to the post race "gala" at the sporting club... as well as paddock passes for Saturday and Sunday with a grand stand seat right by the pit entrance.... amazing So on Saturday we are walking back and forth in the pit lane and over the bridge to the paddock, and there was a stairwell, you took to get to pits, La Rascasse and the paddock. so if you hung out there you would see almost everyone ... that is where I got the driver signatures.... I got the princes signatures at the reception to the GP gala... actually that is how I first met Ron Dennis... I think he thought I as some rich kid... talking to Prince Albert. I did meet Stephanie ... that is a very long other story.

Rosey likes this.
  6. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Great story of how you got this gem. I mean it, really great. That makes it even better....and I'm trying (with great effort) not to be jealous!

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Thanks - kinda forget all the stuff I used to get up to! I have a better one from same trip ... but my wife hates me telling it....

8. clm412

clm412 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CM
    This is an incredible story! It'd be great to hear the other stories from this trip.... must have been like living in a dream.