Found this Enzo Ferrari signed postcard, can anyone tell if it's real? | FerrariChat

Found this Enzo Ferrari signed postcard, can anyone tell if it's real?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by rstone20, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rstone20

rstone20 Rookie

Jun 4, 2012
    Hi there, I posted this about a year ago and didn't get much of a response about it so I thought I'd try again. I bought a Ferrari book a couple of years ago and found an autographed thank you postcard inside of it. The ink color looks a little off, but the signature looks right so I'm not sure if it is autopen or not.

Here are some pics: Enzo Ferrari Card - Imgur
    and a close up: http://i.imgur.com/4usRozb.jpg?1

What do you guys think?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, the wild typewriter (lack of) register leads me to say "real"!!!!!

3. rstone20

rstone20 Rookie

Jun 4, 2012
    I hope so. While it's really cool I just don't have any place to keep it... I will probably try to sell it if I find someone who wants it!

4. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I'm very interested! Send me a pm please

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Its real as the purple ink would fade to look like this, envelope is also correct.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Note also the interesting level of detail in the Cavallino rampante....that's interesting!!

Thanks for posting...

7. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Enzo Ferrari didn't use autopen. There are brochures with his signature printed inside, but he didn't autopen cards.
    There are cards with the message "multi auguri" or similar printed in purple ink, but they were printed without the signature. Only the message was printed, and the signature added later by hand.
    Nathan

8. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Enzo usually had Brenda type his letters and he would sign them. Enzo would usually write or type his own greeting cards and such. Interestingly, I bought a signed Enzo letter to Jerry Englebert many years ago and Enzo signed it, but also made a typographical correction in the purple ink!

9. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a letter from Enzo when I wrote to him moaning about not getting an F40. He replied and secured me one and whilst I don't have that car any more I do have the letter and the envelope and signature are very similar. I call it genuine. Great find.

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Gosh that card just screams awesomeness.

Amazing what a powerful presence Enzo was, it emanates even from stationary.

I'd love to know what that font is... Looks a little like Futura...

11. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    It is interesting that you mention this. I have dealt with quite a few Enzo Ferrari signed items and have noticed that this particular and quite distinctive typeset is unique to items from the mid-1970s. I assume that what is now a rather obscure daisy wheel typewriter was used over that period of a few years.

12. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    This one's on Ebay at the moment - Enzo Ferrari Signature with COA | eBay - what do you think? Genuine or not?
    Nathan

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The signature does not look genuine to me.

14. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
  15. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    I have no plans to bid on it... Among other things, Enzo was not known for being particularly receptive to signing scraps of paper or albums and the like filled with signatures of all and sundry.

16. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
  17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #17 BigTex, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    IBM Selectric, they came with various typeset balls, and the jumping and spinning of that piece is a VERY good guess as the why the vertical registry looks like that...

Very good theory!!

Those type writers had two ribbons, a white one for corrections, but as the post above notes, you would have to manually fix the typos if the white ribbon ran out before the black one, they came packaged together in a cassette about the size of a VHS tape.

EDIT: No, come to think of it, they came packaged in a Kit, you could change the white tape, on orange wheels, apart from the black, but you often ran out of "one or the other"....

18. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    Two words - Pawn Stars.

19. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    You have all confirmed my original thoughts. It doesn't look like Enzo's signature, and I have never seen him sign 'grazie' - it's always 'ringraziamento', the more formal version. i.e 'thank you', not 'thanks'.
    Nathan

20. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    Hi Nathan- I have some correspondence between Enzo Ferrari and Franco Zagari in which informal terms like "grazie" and "tuo" are used. Like most Italians, he seemed to abide by a pretty clear cut distinction. Friends and closer acquaintances were addressed familiarly, while strangers or casual associations were addressed formally. What I find to be truly determinate for signed items is what I would call surrounding details. Ferrari stationary, print typesets, post franking stamps, linguistic patterns, etc. follow clear patterns and would be more difficult to fake than a simple signature. In the absence of these corroborating details, I stay away.

21. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I try to take the same approach, but it doesn't always work. I recently bought a factory postcard of Gilles Villeneuve which was signed on the back, but I was able to compare it with the same postcard from another collection and although the typed date was different the signature was identical. They were both printed signatures. I'll be pointing this out in my new book about the factory postcards which I'm working on at the moment. So even in the right context always exercise care.
    Nathan

22. trashidelek!

Nov 18, 2004
    So true. I think it was Tom Shaughnessy who once mentioned here "never say never or always with anything Ferrari". Words to live by, but from my perspective, also part of the appeal.

23. red tommy

red tommy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #23 red tommy, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have several Ferrari Autographs, with my first one on a brochure with a yellow background so the signature come out greenish. its on a 1983 factory brochure - I've had many "so called" Ferraristas tell me it was autopen, but then showed it to a long term Ferrari Dealer who knew Enzo personally and he states "oh that's a real one" then asked if I asked for an autographed picture? which I did.

Apparently in his older age, he would spend several hours a day signing cards, and letters, and that is why you see so many late Ferrari autographs.

I have two books that he sigend and one was for Lee Gaug at Goodyear in 85 and it says Grazie

25. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I got this prize from the FCA a few years back which is a signed cheque by both Luigi Chinetti and Enzo Ferrari.

I have now decided to part ways with it. I'm not really a collector of memorabilia and I'm no longer a big fan of the FCA so I figured why not get some money out of it?

It's up on eBay right now and I was told by the FCA that its value was approximately 2000$. I'm asking 1500$, what do you guys think? Is it too much?

The point for my post is not to advertise the item but to get some feedback on its value and if it's rare or not. I'm not desperate to sell it but want to price it correctly.