Fram HP1 oil filter | FerrariChat

Fram HP1 oil filter

Discussion in '308/328' started by f308jack, Jul 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I recently ordered all the goodies to service my 308 from the UK, and had included a UFI oil-filter on the list.

Once I received the parts, the filter included was a Fram HP1 (their stock-list lists both the FRAM and UFI at the same price but under different numbers)

I have heard plenty horror-stories about Fram filters, and did a search on F-chat: I found one example where a Fram (different part number) had internally collapsed, but no reference to the HP1 filter.

It doesn't look like it has a stand-tube in it though, which makes me unhappy and wondering.

Is anyone familiar with this particular type of filter, should I go ahead and use it, or ask the supplier to replace it?The latter is a lot of hassle, as I am in South Africa.
    I am not normally one to listen to stories, and would think that manufacturers do their best to keep their reputation clean by improving their products, the filter reads for high flow, high pressure applications, and with a stronger filter base and central tube (but a perforated one...)

Thanks for informed input!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its *****. Throw it away.

Even if it was a good filter its not the correct filter.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I get Baldwin B253's here from the truck stops, I could send you one......

Bradley123 likes this.
  4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I used an HP1 when I first had my car. I can honestly say I see no difference that couple seconds of no oil pressure when starting the car old with the HP1 filter or any other filter. From the outside, the HP1 looks like the most robust filter out but looks are somewhat deceiving. The inside of the HP1 cas cardboard ends and not quite as much filtering material compared to other major high quality brands.

I now use Baldwin filters religiously but again, I see no difference during that critical first couple of seconds in oil pressure. I like the Mobil 1 filters as well.

5. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I have been using the Baldwin B253 for 7 years.......with Zero problems.

Bradley123 likes this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What's your favorite? Please say Baldwin.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Baldwin and current UFI are both good.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The problem with FRAM is they have become famous for disintegrating internally, shutting off flow enough that they have cost many motors and it is not limited to Ferrari. My brothers jeep motor got wiped out by a Fram filter and I have seen a few Ferrari motors go for the same reason.

I continue to be surprised to see so many very high dollar vintage Ferraris with Frams on them because they want an "Orange" oil filter. Stupidity of the highest order.

I judged a show over the weekend and judged a couple of seven figure Ferraris with the worlds worst oil filter all because the model builders, also known as restoration shops are just too stupid to know good from bad. All that counts to those idiots is having a piece of ***** on the car that Enzo used. That guy probably bought them because they were the low bidder.

9. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The Wix and NAPA Gold filters are right up with Baldwin. Delco and Autolite are OK also.

As for looks, i would use the NAPA filter, as it is black, IIRC.

Frams are made cheaply, and do not have as much filter surface area, and with cardboard inside where metal or even plastic would be a better choice. I have never seen one fail, but have seen pics of the internals.

Doug

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ther are lots of good filters on the market but only 3 that are applicable to the Ferrari 330, 365, 512, 308, 328, 400 et al.

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Right, that's convincing enough, I'll ditch it.

Dang, I wanted to service my car next week, now I have to wait for a UFI (dealer prices are rediculous here, last filter I bought from them was over 60 USD). Since my initial order specified UFI and the Fram was sent without notice or question, I think the UK supplier should correct his mistake.

I have never seen a Baldwin filter in South Africa.

Thanks to all who chimed in!

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur

Alan, that is a very friendly offer!

I have in the meantime sent the supplier in the UK a message, asking them how they will solve it. I should come right with them, and they should send me the correct UFI filter (it is what I have used uniformly)

Should that fail, I'll let you know!

Best,

Jack.

13. brook308

brook308 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    SS Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    George
    Owwwrrr Crap, I had a UFI on before my rebuild and then put a Framm on as it was supplied by a local mechanic.
    So I'm guessing that I'll be ordering a new UFI ASAP.

We must buy from the same UK supplier as I have had alternative replacement parts shipped without notice before.
    I assumed they were out of stock and that shipping a more expensive part would keep the client happy.

14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It needs to be said that there are different Fram filters that FIT the 308; the filter that was shipped to me is specified for high flow high pressure applications, has a flow-back valve but no stand pipe.
    The photo of the collapsed Fram filter in the current low oil-pressure thread is a different filter.

A manufacturewr cannot guarantee its' products against use in wrong applications, but if the filter specified for the application is insufficient in quality, the bin is where it belongs. And it certainly shouldn't feature on any invoice to me.

I will use the Fram filter as soon as I get a written guarantee that they will fit the bill of a re-build if the engine gets damaged due to a filter failure. No small print, no bull-sh*t.

I have no problem if I get shipped an alternative part, but I like to be informed before it is shipped. If a supplier has 2 different filters under separate numbers, the buyer specifies what he wants. That's what should be sent.

I'm awaiting their answer to my question: They have otherwise been very accommodating, and I am certainly not a big client.

15. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Amen, yet no standpipe = no good.

Get Baldwin.

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Here you go

http://www.go2marine.com/search.do?q=B253&x=12&y=8

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Thanks Doc!

And that for the grand price of USD 20,59.

I need to see if there is a supplier a little closer to me though, but I much like the fact that there seems to be total consensus on the use of the Baldwin product.

18. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    I've been using the Baldwin filters now about 20 years...always have a case or two in the shop. Zero problems...perfect solution.

David

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Daniel just made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and a proper UFI filter is about to be picked up from Ricambi by Fedex and on its' way to me.

I have never bought from Ricambi, Daniel had no reason to do this whatsoever, and what an unexpected pleasure it is to experience that some really go beyond what has become the norm in today's world.

Daniel, you are a Gentleman!

I am speechless, which doesn't happen easy!

20. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Doing a search...I find a place that cut the filters apart (for motorcycles) but you get the idea...

http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/

Fram certainly looks crappy to me! And I've been a long time Fram user... not anymore!

Ace

21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It would certainly be interesting to compare filters on their construction, as well as their filtration capacity, filter saturation etc.
    Weight increase in solids after the distance would also be an important factor.

As simple as an oil filter may appear to be, an incredible amount of oil passes through it in 5000kms (3000miles) and it needs to be constructed accordingly.

The photo on the website listed above isn't very confidence inspiring, with what appears to be cardboard end-caps.

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Truth is, I'm a softie for just about anything South African.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Actually... the Fchat community is extremely generous to me. I try very hard to return the favor whenever I can.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Daniel,

She's not a bad looking girl, and you must like her a lot, hence you sent me 2 filters!

You really ought to come see this part of the world, Miss Theron is but a sample, you haven't seen my wife yet!

I agree with you, the Fchat community is incredibly generous, and now I feel guilty about not paying my dues. I think after all the generousity I enjoy, it's time to pay my membership here. (long overdue in fact)

Thanks again for your generous assistance!

Jack.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've been using a pair of fram HP1 filters on a remote mount set-up on my car, it looks like it's time for a different filter.....it I ever get that far.