Fram HP1 oil filter | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fram HP1 oil filter

Discussion in '308/328' started by f308jack, Jul 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    Ouch! What happened to that engine?

Ace

2. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Thats what I use. Have been using the Baldwins for years, but then Ricambi had a sale on the UFI's so I bought 6 of them, so I'm good to go for the next 3 years.

3. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #28 chrismorse, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The oil pressure dropped from 80 to about 40 pounds, in the middle of a track session, (the oil was at about210 when this hapened.

I limped on home and checked the pressure relief, ok, checked the engine with a known good mechanical gauge and the pressure was still down. So, i pulled the filter and cut it apart.

Installled a B-253 and all is well.

Here is the trio of fram photos.

hth,
    chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    I guess you should sent that to Fram. But then they'll probably tell you that their filters are not for racing applications. Who knows...

Ace

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its been going on for years. They know about it. Like I said, its not just Ferraris. My brother lost a jeep motor because of it. He got on some Shelby Mustang board he is part of and asked there. They laughed at him because it is such old news. I saw a 330 motor go south because of those stupid things 15 years ago.

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    My original supplier, Superformance, answered back today, stating that the filter will be replaced and will go in the mail today.

Colin furhter stated that the majority of their customers had a preference for the fram fHP1 filter.

I sent him the photos published here earlier, and he is looking into it.

I haven't cut he HP1 apart yet, but Superformance didn't ask me to send it back, so I might as well do so, in order to let us have a peek inside. It's a little late here now, I'll try and do so tomorrow and post pics.

In the meantime, Fedex have informed me that the filters from Ricambi will be delivered no later than Monday, so I can get ahead with my service:)

Jack.

7. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There you go showing that Missouri class again Dan! Kudos. Keep up the good work.

I just got back from JBURG SA last month. I have to say I was very impressed with the scenery. I'll have to go back and see the coast.

8. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Spot on on all accounts!

9. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    rifledriver,when you judge a car is the oil filter a factor if its not a oem part or a fram? just asking

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As long as it is a correct part. Tires, batteries, windshield wipers, filters are considered consumables and only need to be replaced with a correct replacement of the same type and configuration. Besides Fram was pretty much gone as OE by the early 70's.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Add to list of Things to Do:

#X) See South Africa

I could have DELIVERED it....LOL!

12. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Alan,

Always welcome here:)

Put it high on your list, you'll love it.

13. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Anyone (other than me) tried Bosch filters? Got mine from my local parts guy. I only got the Fram number and asked if he had something better than Fram. He sounded relieved that I didn't want the "crappy orange barrel" as he put it on my Dino and insisted I'd go with Bosch. Haven't cut it apart yet. Should be interesting.

Hans

14. gilligan308

gilligan308 Karting

Dec 8, 2008
    S.W.Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Do the Baldwin filters have the stand pipe like the UFI filters have to keep them loaded with oil?

15. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Yes

16. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    #41 f308jack, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fedex was a little slower than expected: their indicated day of delivery was Monday, but their driver couldn't find my house....

After a lot more complications, they finally succeeded in locating the point of delivery, and the box from Ricambi was handed over half an hour ago:)

Daniel, I owe you one!

17. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    #42 Mondialross 82, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    Back in 1990, I went to a local NAPA parts store looking for a Fram for my Mondial 8. The counterman advised me not to purchase one and of course I asked why ?

He showed me a counter display rack that had a half dozen or so filters, all name brand and high quality(or so one would think) and all cut away showing their construction. It was so obvious the nature of the differences, for example metal end caps ceramically glued as opposed to paper ends with no glue, coils springs of larger diameter wire, porosity of the filter paper, the number of pleats (surface area) the thickness of the paper, the number of corrugations, whether there is a screen to back up the pleats for strength against deformation under pressure etc., anti drain back valves (probably the internal tube others have written about some have em and some don't all the necessary parts to prevent collapsing and to direct oil the the correct route such as pressure relief valves when the filter media is clogged Also as in the case of so many things like this he explained that Wix had asked him Who do you think makes Frams and Purolators ?..... we do but to a lower priced spec. Although it wouldn't surprise me that Fram(and all the others like Purolator STP etc. has many sources for manufacturers around the world, Puffery and marketing are powerful but expensive tools.

Wix,at the time was a major supplier to many companies manufacturing to different specs and guess what.... simply different spray paint colors on the exterior of the filter cans for hundreds of various customers. It's a great advantage to make the best for your own name because you don't lose out to the the competition when you are the major supplier, an enviable position to be in when you can get it both ways. Currently they advertise they are the the #1 filter in NASCAR where the various teams do "have a dog in this fight".

Something akin to microwave ovens where there are a gazillion varieties but all the magnetrons are made by 4 companies. So many products are like this.

Several months (or even years) later 2 other sources bore out what I had been told. Car and Driver (or Road and Track) had write ups about oil filters and I also saw an article and tests by Consumer Reports (the fuller story was told there, what an eye opener) about filters. This information has been known for a long time and today can probably be found on the internet.

I hadn't heard of Baldwin before but how often do I go hunting for a different filter on a Ferrari especially since the stock I brought is still around. I will check them out myself and I should take may own advice and use a WIX on the everyday beater car but when it goes to THE PIT STOP every 6-8 weeks for an oil change it gets a brand new $2.00 piece "o" crap filter provided and I don't worry about it but the garage queen that's a different story. Come to think of it maybe Charlize is a good name for her.
    From another thread in the "showroom" we need a photo of Charlize draped over a Ferrari.

18. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    When looking for a filter for my '65 Corvette (cartridge type, original style) I was looking to see if I could find one made in the USA. The only one I found was STP. I don't think the Baldwin's of the world make one for that application, so the STP was it.

George

19. John J.

John J. Karting

Sep 4, 2007
    South West England
    Got me worried now, had my 308 serviced back in May by a highly regarded independent here in the UK and noticed they had used a Fram instead of a UFI like I used last year. Am I right in thinking that the current oil filter part number is 191993? When I search for this on Eurospares the only filter that comes up is a Fram PH28041, it was them I got the UFI from last year.

Is this particular Fram cr*p as well, should I ditch it and source a UFI from somewhere? I'm surprised that Fram appear to be so widely used in the UK among people that should know better!

20. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I use the PH28041. The OEM Fram was PH2804-1

This filter does not have a bi-pass valve, so oil is always going through the filter. I change it each spring and put on from 500 to 1500 mi / yr (800-2500 km). Just my .02

21. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    No bypass valave, really? Are you sure that's a good idea? Did you see all those pictures of crushed elements on filters with bypass valves?

22. Bradley123

Bradley123 Rookie

Feb 25, 2020
    Oakland
    Full Name:
    Brad Kansas Long
    Yes me too

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Diehl Jones likes this.
  23. robertcope

robertcope Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Robert B. Cope
    Holy thread bump. You replied to a message from 2009!

Diehl Jones likes this.
  24. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Remember this TV ad?

waymar likes this.
  25. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran