Fram oil filter on my mondial | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fram oil filter on my mondial

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by marcus, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Why do owners have such an "anti genuine" attitude when it comes to oil filters?

On many of these cars, the most prominant thing in the engine bay is the oil filter. If you open the bonnet and see a genuine Ferrari/UFI oil filter...doesn't it give you a slight sense that the car has had someone own it that cares for it??

If I see a non Ferrari oil filter on a PPI, I immediately become suspicious as to deferred maintenance issues and other corners being cut when it comes to servicing.

They're not even expensive, and to be honest, a dealers name in the service book once a year for as little as an oil change will always help the resale.

I'm not even a dealer, just an independant.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "If I see a non Ferrari oil filter on a PPI, I immediately become suspicious ..."

I agree -- except that I don't consider the Baldwin to be "non Ferrari". My understanding is that Baldwin did supply Ferrari in the past (60s~70s?). If the UFI wasn't over-priced compared to the Baldwin, I'd use either as equals.

delaney -- As far as I can recall, no one has ever posted a Baldwin equivalent for anything other than the UFI 23 162 01. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't have an equivalent, but it would take some legwork/samples/communications just to find out (although I've found Baldwin's engineering department to be very responsive in the past).

3. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    When I changed out the Fram that was on the car when I bought it, there was almost no oil drip from the filter. I'm guessing that was why it took 10 seconds to build pressure on startup. Bought a bunch of baldwins and I get pressure within 2 to 3 seconds. Only downside will be the expected mess when changing out the filter next time.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    In rereading this thread, I really don't get the feeling there is an "anti genuine" attitude, toward oil filters. People basically said use either the UFI or the Baldwin, but NOT the Fram.....though I generally agree with your feelings on using stock parts, I truly believe the Baldwin is at least as good, if not better than the stock part. When I sell my 328, I will put a UFI on, okay? ;)

5. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Thanks Steve ...

I actually got a wrong quote for the cost of the OEM 355 filter .... someone told me they were $31 .... actually got them from the main dealer for <$15. This $15 was cheaper than those on e-bay ....

Also, about OEM filters .... I got a Baldwin oil filter from the main dealer for my previous 308.

Regards,

Pete

6. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    After reading this thread I'm going to get a Baldwin and remove the Fram that is on my car now.

Since the car has fresh oil in it, I'll try to change just the filter. I assume if I let it sit a few days the filter wil be mostly drained and could be replaced without a lot of leakage.

Does anyone know if the Baldwin will hold some oil if I fill it before inverting it and screwing it on?