Front Bumper Scratched on my 2007 F430 | FerrariChat

Front Bumper Scratched on my 2007 F430

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by basscapital, Jun 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. basscapital

basscapital Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alan Bass
    How many of you guys have kept your Ferrari's front bumper scratch-free? Here are pics of both the left and right front-bumper from my 2007 F430. What's the best way to repair the damage...repaint? What does it run to repaint the bottom or the whole bumper? From a distance it's not very noticeable unless you come up close or look under the bumper. I'm debating between making the repair of just leaving as is since most likely I'll scratch it up again.

And advice would be appreciated.

Alan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's rare that these cars (Ferrari's in general) don't have this condition. Cars are low and it's impossible to avoid the steep entry to some locations.

I would just get some paint as literally brush it on the bottom side to fill the white with red. Do get the proper color paint though.

As you said, it's going to happen again.

basscapital likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Paint it and then put skid guards on

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

PKIM, XLNLIFE, David_S and 2 others like this.
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A good shop can blend that at the crease, IMO.

Otherwise they have to take It off and repaint the whole thing, as large as this piece is, expensive.
    I could spend $4K doing the one on my last TransAm.
    Red would be more $$

But this could get fixed and be unnoticable, and as some mention they have skid plates.

5. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Mine looks the exact same. Can't be seen unless you're under the car, might as well leave it.

Dave rocks likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    WJHMH likes this.
  7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I had skid plates installed on my F430. They helped prevent this.

8. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I have skid plates, but they were put on after a few of these scrapes. Virtually impossible to avoid them if you drive the cars.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes I agree here. The F430 does have a long over hang. The 458 was less of a problem.

But the skid plates do give you some warning in tight situations.

G. Pepper likes this.
  10. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    OK, I see this happening to most F-cars. I get it, they're low.

My issue is that adding the skid plates makes them that much lower. I know that they are widely positively regarded, but they're best installed on a freshly repainted bumper, correct? There's no point installing them on a damaged car like the OP has, right?

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Personal preference.. truly

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So I had this exact debate about putting skid plates on before I put them on. And you are correct. It makes the chances of hitting something greater by about 10mm or so.

But what I found is that they tend to in the right situations slightly bend UP the bumper (which is flexible) and help avoid some scratches. And, they can be a warning to you also so you can back out before completely scratching everything underneath.

I had fewer scratches underneath after installing them than before installing them. And, I could clearly see that the skid plates had indeed gotten scratched from time to time.

Skid plates are not the entire answer. But IMO, it was more of a help than hurt. The question is by how much.

krazykarguy likes this.
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The 355 skid plates we produce are only 1/4" thick. Yes, installing them after the damage is a bit foolish.

krazykarguy likes this.
  14. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Alright, so the front bumper needs to be resprayed on my parent's car as well then. The next step will be Dave's skid plates, installed while the cover is off.

Thankfully, my dad has a great relationship with a local shop that does exquisite work (they repainted his '65 E-Type to concours quality), so when the tie comes, they'll get the call. Better yet, we can bring just the bumper to them, and pick it up when done.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes.. fix it first then install.

16. basscapital

basscapital Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alan Bass
    Talked to the great guy at the Ferrari dealership who told me to bring in the car next week. He said it happens all the time and they'll fix it for around $350. Sounds like a great deal.

paulchua likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    He is correct!

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I guess what I was saying here is that depending on the type/make of skid pads and the coverage they provide against the scratches that are there .. you may consider it if only a scratch or two left behind and want to not have a repainted bumper

This is especially true of tricoat paints .. which I believe is not your case but as for me I rather have a few visible scratches underneath the car after placing skid pads then see I shade different on color

I always heard no matter how good a tricolor resprayed bumper is you will always see the difference

So how much of the damage will be visible after installing skid plates

Seems silly to me to fix it only to be covered and if you remove skid pads in the future probably will need to be repaired anyway

19. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That sounds ridiculously cheap. If I had to guess, they will simply mask at the crease and spray color and then clear. I would assume they will not be doing any prep work. Just make sure you understand what they are going to do; in other words set your expectations appropriately.

basscapital and Dave rocks like this.
  20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Words taken right from my mouth ;)

338Lapua and basscapital like this.
  21. F430abdo

F430abdo Karting

Mar 8, 2017
    SE Florida
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Happens for sure and has too me. I had my 07 F430 spider re-sprayed and it’s not gonna hurt value. Just document everything and why it was down and also a very reputable body shop that works with F cars is always a perk. Not the dealer though if you can avoid them that be best.

22. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    The front bumper on my 360 was cracked and scraped much worse than that by some idiot hit and run while parked. Of course, they did not leave a note. I carefully researched body shops in my area. They removed the bumper, repaired the crack in the fiberglass, and resprayed the entire bumper. I documented everything and paid cash out of pocket. It was only $1400 and the result was flawless. I disclosed the repair when I sold the car. At least the OP’s damage is self inflicted (I assume). I would have been much happier paying for the repair had I been the one who did the damage.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very common, don't beat yourself up about it. If anything, wear it as a badge of honor that you drive the car!! As others have said easy to fix and rectify. Best wishes.

24. basscapital

basscapital Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alan Bass
    Just a quick update...I had the local Ferrari Dealership repaint the bottom front bumper for $900. The $350 was phone estimate and of course once the car came in the price went up since they identified more damage. It was worth it since I cant tell the difference and they did a nice job matching up the color. They even fixed up some small damage to the rear bottom diffuser fin. Thank you for all the feedback!

25. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Are you going to add skid plates? I have a spare set, hard abs plastic that can be drilled onto or 3M on.