FTO Wheel Donut | FerrariChat

FTO Wheel Donut

Discussion in '612/599' started by odf911, Sep 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Has anyone had wheel donut installed on a 599 with GTO rims? How much work is involved to remove the wheels and the disks? Thanks!

2. G55amg

G55amg Karting

Jan 9, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Johnny Vazquez
    I’m interested since I have GTO wheels

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Apologies if this is a dumb question, but what are you looking to install?

Taking wheels and discs off is a trivial task; call it 5 mins for a wheel and 10 for the 10 disc. If that.

4. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Looks like something that is going to act to restrict airflow onto the brake disc. I'm struggling to see the benefits. Are these used in motorsport? I don't think any OEM's use them on their street cars.

6. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    ^^ That is standard fitment on the GTO. Ferrari would not have added it if it did not provide some benefit.

To the OP look at the parts diagram for the parts required. From my understanding you do not need to remove the rotor.

brogenville likes this.
  7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Fair enough! I'm a natural skeptic. :D I still am really given they don't seem to be something that's taken off in the industry. Still, I guess they complete the look.

Installing will be more work than just taking the disc off though - looking at the below, I can see the donut carriers attach using the hub-bearing bolts. These are on the back of the bearing - bit awkward to get at by the looks of things, and might be a pest if the bolts decide not to play nicely.

From parts diagram (front shown):

From WSM (rear shown):

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Looks like they are designed to work in conjunction with the air deflectors on the front suspension (5 above), which are also present on the 599 GTB.

George Vosburgh and brogenville like this.
  9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have also looked at these for installation on 599 with GTO wheels. It doesn't look like a big deal to install, but it must be with GTO wheels.

10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I don't believe GTO wheels specifically are critical - all you need is the clearance inside the rim for the donut.

What I would think is more critical if you want the functionality, is the GTO bumper / brake ducting.

599_GTO and George Vosburgh like this.